Bullnose Forums

Alfie's 351 Engine Build

Alfie623

Sorry, I've been meaning to reply to this.

Obviously because of the serpentine swap I lost the mechanical fuel pump. Because I'm running an Edelbrock intake and carburetor I decided to go with their fuel pump as well. Because the pump pushes better than it pulls I mounted the pump along the frame rail 1/2 way between the trans and tank where there is already a hose connection or stress relief. I then used new hoses to connect to the stainless lines along the frame.

In the engine bay I replace the hose from the hard line to the old fuel pump and ran the new hose directly to the filter you see in the photo. I have yet to start up the pump so the jury is still out but I have faith it'll all work fine.

Sounds like a good plan. But did Edelbrock give you a pressure #? Their carbs don't like more than 6 psi, but surely their pump would work with their carbs.

Sounds like a good plan. But did Edelbrock give you a pressure #? Their carbs don't like more than 6 psi, but surely their pump would work with their carbs.

Their fuel pump is set to 6.5 psi from the factory for use with their carbs so no tinkering. There is an adjustment if necessary but it should be plug and play.

Their fuel pump is set to 6.5 psi from the factory for use with their carbs so no tinkering. There is an adjustment if necessary but it should be plug and play.

It is interesting that they set it to 6.5 but in their own documentation they say to set a regulator to 5.5 psi. At least that's the way I remember it.

Anyway, at least you don't have way too much. :nabble_smiley_good:

• 2 weeks later...

It is interesting that they set it to 6.5 but in their own documentation they say to set a regulator to 5.5 psi. At least that's the way I remember it.

Anyway, at least you don't have way too much. :nabble_smiley_good:

Great read, thanks for sharing! I am thinking I will do something similar next year for my Bronco, I would love to build an engine...

• 1 month later...

Obviously because of the serpentine swap I lost the mechanical fuel pump.

I'm curious about this comment. Why did you lose the mechanical pump? I did a serpentine swap on my 302 and still have a mechanical pump on it. Is there less clearance with the 351 brackets?

I'm curious about this comment. Why did you lose the mechanical pump? I did a serpentine swap on my 302 and still have a mechanical pump on it. Is there less clearance with the 351 brackets?

I'm interested too.

Did you have to go with a later timing case to get the serpentine front dress???

Hmmmmmm, I don't know how this is but I'm no expert. Where did you get the serpentine setup for a carbureted engine? I know Jeg's sells a timing cover that allows the reverse direction water pump to mount along with the mechanical fuel pump but as far as factory parts all I ever knew existed was timing covers with reverse rotation water pumps and fuel injection.

To answer your question, the serpentine setup I have on my engine came from an Econoline (providing a Saginaw pump) with fuel injection so I needed to find an alternative for the fuel pump.

I'm interested too.

Did you have to go with a later timing case to get the serpentine front dress???

Yes, I went with the timing cover from a 1988 Econoline.

If you compare normal rotation and reverse rotation pumps, the D shaped coolant passages are different, and you'll have a leak if you install the wrong one. If you use a pump for a reverse rotation Mustang, it won't leak because the openings in the rear plate are round. When the Mustang went to serpentine in 1982, they still had mechanical fuel pumps.

When I did my serpentine conversion, I used my 1981 timing cover, serpentine parts from my '96 donor (roller) engine, and a Mustang water pump. I did have to clearance the P/S bracket quite a bit to clear the fuel pump as the P/S pump is mounted closer to the block on a serpentine drive setup, but it all works together in harmony!