Bullnose Forums

Fuel pump

I tried to start my 81 today by putting fuel line into fuel container but no good. Then I disconnected fuel line at carb and no fuel was coming out so I assume my fuel pump needs replacing. I can hardly see the mechanical pump due to power steering pump (I think)-photo attached. Can I just remove power steering pully to reach fuel pump? Thanks for any advice!!

Jeremy 273CF22C-61FB-4595-8850-7BAC01348BE8.jpeg.1c62850aba64926d4977c237b6918ce8.jpeg

Yes, the fuel pump is down there, but no you cannot take the pulley off as that requires a special puller. However, you can loosen the tension on the belt and then take the power steering pump bracket off the engine and lay the pump to one side.

But, make sure you don't have a bad hose. The hoses on these trucks weren't made for gasohol and that eats them up. And if the hose before the pump has any split or porosity, or a bad clamp, where it can suck in air it won't be able to pull gas and pump it.

273CF22C-61FB-4595-8850-7BAC01348BE8.jpeg.37b46933dcb0db4c0aca1a2679cbab7a.jpeg

Yes, the fuel pump is down there, but no you cannot take the pulley off as that requires a special puller. However, you can loosen the tension on the belt and then take the power steering pump bracket off the engine and lay the pump to one side.

But, make sure you don't have a bad hose. The hoses on these trucks weren't made for gasohol and that eats them up. And if the hose before the pump has any split or porosity, or a bad clamp, where it can suck in air it won't be able to pull gas and pump it.

Thanks. Will I just remove the two bolts that adjust the tension? There is another bracket that the tensioner is attached. That also has two bolts closer to center of engine.

There's a long bolt at the top of your picture that the bracket rotates on. Once you loosen whichever bolts are holding the bracket from rotating then you remove that long bolt and the one or two that keep it from rotating. Then the whole bracket and pump should lay over to the side. BUT, don't lay it over very much or you'll have a mess with fluid running out the fill neck.

There's a long bolt at the top of your picture that the bracket rotates on. Once you loosen whichever bolts are holding the bracket from rotating then you remove that long bolt and the one or two that keep it from rotating. Then the whole bracket and pump should lay over to the side. BUT, don't lay it over very much or you'll have a mess with fluid running out the fill neck.

Makes sense. Got my marching orders for tomorrow

Makes sense. Got my marching orders for tomorrow

Any sort of decay of the fuel line will cause that as well. Last fall my truck was losing prime on the fuel pump. I primed the carb and got it running and noticed a stream coming from a pin hole in the fuel line. I replaced it and solved my problem. So be sure to replace the rubber lines with all new good lines as well.

A piece of bailing wire or a big zip-tie will hold the power steering up out of the way.

A shallow swivel socket (or a pair of sockets) will make life much easier R&R the fuel pump.

Be sure to inch it in, instead of trying to tighten one bolt fully, then the other.

Gluing the gasket in place with Indian Head or some other gasket adhesive helps a lot too.

• 2 weeks later...

I replaced fuel pump but still not starting. Any advice on where to go next? It’s turning over fuel is pumping but no fire. Do I start at replacing plugs and go from there? Is there a way to troubleshoot or pinpoint the issue? Thanks for the help.

Jeremy

Let's make sure you have the basics going. First, is the choke closing? If so, peer down the throat of the carb and briskly open the throttle. You should see two streams of gas shoot into the carb. That will tell you that you have fuel in the carb.

Let's make sure you have the basics going. First, is the choke closing? If so, peer down the throat of the carb and briskly open the throttle. You should see two streams of gas shoot into the carb. That will tell you that you have fuel in the carb.

Yes, that’s where I’m at now. Isn’t firing up.

Jeremy