Bullnose Forums

F150 302 engine difference 85-FI to replace with 88-FI

JC

I need to replace an engine in my 85 302 fuel injected F150. I found a nice one out of a 88 with low miles but the interchange states 80-86 are the same and 87-92 are the same. Anyone have any experience here? Maybe just the intake is different? I bet everything else is the same.

I need to replace an engine in my 85 302 fuel injected F150. I found a nice one out of a 88 with low miles but the interchange states 80-86 are the same and 87-92 are the same. Anyone have any experience here? Maybe just the intake is different? I bet everything else is the same.

I don't know on the intakes.

First thing off the top of my head is that the '88 engine will be set up for serpentine belt and will therefore have a reverse rotation water pump from your '85 302. So if you're keeping the V-Belt arrangement on your '85, you'll have to replace the water pump on the '88. I'm not sure if the timing covers are different between the two different rotation pumps or not...check on that just in case. Either way, you could swap the '85 parts over to the '88 block.

The engines...as in the blocks/heads will have mild differences. The '88 302 will have E7 heads while the '85 heads will be either D8 or E6 versions. The '88 will likely have slightly higher compression.

First thing off the top of my head is that the '88 engine will be set up for serpentine belt and will therefore have a reverse rotation water pump from your '85 302. So if you're keeping the V-Belt arrangement on your '85, you'll have to replace the water pump on the '88. I'm not sure if the timing covers are different between the two different rotation pumps or not...check on that just in case. Either way, you could swap the '85 parts over to the '88 block.

The engines...as in the blocks/heads will have mild differences. The '88 302 will have E7 heads while the '85 heads will be either D8 or E6 versions. The '88 will likely have slightly higher compression.

Good points, Cory.

I can't say if the water pumps rotate differently, but they sure have different part numbers. And the same holds true of the timing covers, although the 1986 and earlier takes one and 1987 and later takes another.

9171543_orig.thumb.jpg.a280853a63f9f4f5368cf8f7d014b338.jpg2483553_orig.thumb.jpg.59e3a808f1d0b178d08a32c8f856ccc1.jpg

I am sure the timing covers are also different to match the pump flows.

I seen it posted with pictures, maybe on that other forum?

I could be wrong on that but I think there were 4 different covers.

Normal - oil stick in cover and other not.

reverse - oil stick in cover and other not.

Other wise just 2 covers normal & reverse to match the pumps.

Cant answer anything else sorry.

What about oil pan sumps & rear main oil pan sealing area?

Did the pan change between the different rear seals?

Dave ----

I am sure the timing covers are also different to match the pump flows.

I seen it posted with pictures, maybe on that other forum?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the timing covers are different too.

Oil pans and gaskets should be fine when going from truck to truck.

The 302 can be a real nightmare with some of the swaps and changes...it's actually not even funny.

A lot of people have found out the hard way that a 302 in a car had a smaller flywheel than a 302 in a truck. Must be an awful feeling to finish that installation and then hear the starter whine because it doesn't hit the ring gear...lol.

Water pumps and timing covers...

Crank balances...

Flat tappet and roller cams...

Several different flywheels...

A dozen or more different dipstick tubes...

Etc, etc...

I think the 300 and the 351w are far more forgiving with regards to swaps.

- deleted -

Not much difference aside from the heads and accessories. ‘88 still has a hydraulic flat tappet cam and is speed density/bank fired injection. Biggest difference is the switch to the serpentine setup which is why the water pump is different. Both years are standard rotation water pumps. Intake manifolds should be the same. Only difference in the timing covers should be the opening for the mechanical fuel pump I think. If you are pulling all the accessories with it, you’ll have to address the alternator wiring and might have to swap in your harness, but should be fairly straight forward. I can’t speak to the transmissions.

Not much difference aside from the heads and accessories. ‘88 still has a hydraulic flat tappet cam and is speed density/bank fired injection. Biggest difference is the switch to the serpentine setup which is why the water pump is different. Both years are standard rotation water pumps. Intake manifolds should be the same. Only difference in the timing covers should be the opening for the mechanical fuel pump I think. If you are pulling all the accessories with it, you’ll have to address the alternator wiring and might have to swap in your harness, but should be fairly straight forward. I can’t speak to the transmissions.

ALL serpentine belt truck Windsor engines use a reverse rotation water pump, timing cover is also different due to the water pump shape. Oil pans, sump location on pre 1979 cars and pre 1980 trucks was in front, some 4WD trucks had a different sump design. 1979-90/91 cars used a double sump, shallow front for the oil pump, large rear where the pickup sits. 1980-96/7 trucks use a near center sump, it is considered a rear sump. EFI systems, the 1988 EFI is almost identical to the 1985.5-1986 version, the knock sensor was moved from the driver's side of the intake to the back of the block, TFI ignition is still on the distributor and the 1986 computer will run it. If you decide to use the newer computer, several items changed, EGR controls and some other pins changed. 1985.5 and 1986 do not use a speed sensor, 1987 up has one and it connects to the EEC. AOD transmissions are mechanical/hydraulic, no electronics used.

ALL serpentine belt truck Windsor engines use a reverse rotation water pump, timing cover is also different due to the water pump shape. Oil pans, sump location on pre 1979 cars and pre 1980 trucks was in front, some 4WD trucks had a different sump design. 1979-90/91 cars used a double sump, shallow front for the oil pump, large rear where the pickup sits. 1980-96/7 trucks use a near center sump, it is considered a rear sump. EFI systems, the 1988 EFI is almost identical to the 1985.5-1986 version, the knock sensor was moved from the driver's side of the intake to the back of the block, TFI ignition is still on the distributor and the 1986 computer will run it. If you decide to use the newer computer, several items changed, EGR controls and some other pins changed. 1985.5 and 1986 do not use a speed sensor, 1987 up has one and it connects to the EEC. AOD transmissions are mechanical/hydraulic, no electronics used.

Interesting note on the water pumps. The Gates pump on RockAuto for the 88 is listed as standard rotation pump. That was the one I looked at before posting yesterday. Glad someone corrected it.