Bullnose Forums

Clock wiring part II

FuzzFace2

I'm not sure I'm the one you are asking, but all that signal does is to tell the clock that the lights are on so it should dim. And I'll bet it will work hooked to the LB/R wire. The clock is expecting either no voltage or battery voltage, so should accept the dimmed signal just fine.

Thanks Gary I was thinking as long as it got power when the head lights were on it was no big deal.

Thanks

Dave ----

My harness goes as follows, and it was the same on my 1980 (which had a light group harness from a 1982).

All trucks will have: Main harness > 8-pin Light Group/Clock connector

Light group/clock equipped trucks will have:

Main Harness > 8-pin Light Group/Clock connector > Wiring for light group splits off from here in a separate harness > Clock wiring continues to another 8-pin clock only connector next to the original 8-pin connector > Clock wiring then goes up to the clock area > 4-pin Connector that plugs into the clock.

Shaun, what I can tell there is the 4 pin plug poking out of the main harness. What I found looks like an extention so it reaches the clock.

I know some clocks had different plugs on the back this extension could gave just plugged into the clock.

Think I got it figured out just have to make the connection.

Thanks

Dave ----

My harness goes as follows, and it was the same on my 1980 (which had a light group harness from a 1982).

All trucks will have: Main harness > 8-pin Light Group/Clock connector

Light group/clock equipped trucks will have:

Main Harness > 8-pin Light Group/Clock connector > Wiring for light group splits off from here in a separate harness > Clock wiring continues to another 8-pin clock only connector next to the original 8-pin connector > Clock wiring then goes up to the clock area > 4-pin Connector that plugs into the clock.

Shaun, what I can tell there is the 4 pin plug poking out of the main harness. What I found looks like an extention so it reaches the clock.

I know some clocks had different plugs on the back this extension could gave just plugged into the clock.

Think I got it figured out just have to make the connection.

Thanks

Dave ----

It is definitely possible that you have just the part that goes from the clock to the main connector as the clock was a separate option from the light group and you probably didn't have to have both at the same time.

It is definitely possible that you have just the part that goes from the clock to the main connector as the clock was a separate option from the light group and you probably didn't have to have both at the same time.

I think you nailed it once I found the plug. It was just an extension from the main harness to the clock.

So the next issue to over come was the 81/82 plug will not fit the 83-86 clock.

I was looking for a way to keep the plug and use the pig tail from the clock but after pulling the pins from the plug to see if they would "plug in to" something I had on hand I cut the pins and used water proof butt connectors.

Wired and bolted in place I went to see if it worked and .......... NOTHING!

Then I remembered the spark show when trying to remove the pins from the plug.

Replaced a 15 amp fuse and we have numbers.

20200204_175259.jpg.812154fa42c9d77f3a841c67848bbe40.jpg

With the clock working, the dome light now working

20200204_175321.jpg.8141ebfa528e99a6163995904b35dc73.jpg

I vacuumed the floor and if it stays warm I may even wash it.

Thanks guys for the help and hand holding, don't think I could have done it with out you.

Dave ----

I think you nailed it once I found the plug. It was just an extension from the main harness to the clock.

I was looking for a way to keep the plug and use the pig tail from the clock but after pulling the pins from the plug to see if they would "plug in to" something I had on hand I cut the pins and used water proof butt connectors.

Thanks guys for the help and hand holding, don't think I could have done it with out you.

Dave ----

Yippee! Well done guys! :nabble_anim_claps:

As for staying warm, we are at 38 and headed south, with 4 - 6" of white stuff to come down tomorrow.

As for staying warm, we are at 38 and headed south, with 4 - 6" of white stuff to come down tomorrow.

Awesome! Glad you got it working. Sorry I couldn't be more help on the 80-82 side of things, it's been a long time since I messed with the early clocks.

Dave ----

That's awesome. I picked one up too so if I have any issues I know who's brain to pick now.

Well, not too long ago, you did mention no snow, so far, and hoped for some, this Winter. :nabble_anim_claps:

We got ~2" this morning, and more to come they say. Enough that we canceled church for this evening. :nabble_smiley_happy: