Bullnose Forums

Dads 85 F250...Rebuilding an old friend

Angelo Voltura

You should check out the FTE post, it gets even more detailed in there. This post was a quick overview.

I am near Buffalo, NY. This truck was a daily driver until 2007 and plowed snow commercially for the better part of 20 years.

Keep in mind these were repaired many times before these pictures were taken. The last straw was busting a U joint and the driveshaft came through the floor. This is not the original rocker panel, or cab corner and the floor pan had I thin I counted 5 layers, of repairs. The passenger side was almost as bad as the driver side.

The cab was so bad I could physically rock it side to side on the frame.

Flow through ventilation? :nabble_smiley_whistling:

Flow through ventilation? :nabble_smiley_whistling:

That picture of the rear floor & wall is why I still have the parts truck cab.

It would be just my luck I would scrap the cab and then buy a truck needing that part :nabble_smiley_cry:

Even the front cab side mounts are in good shape. The floors & rockers are ok but if I was going to mess with either I wanted to go with new panels and did.

I would have been running away (vary fast) from that truck if it were mine.

You did a great job bringing it back from the dead LOL

Dave ----

That picture of the rear floor & wall is why I still have the parts truck cab.

It would be just my luck I would scrap the cab and then buy a truck needing that part :nabble_smiley_cry:

Even the front cab side mounts are in good shape. The floors & rockers are ok but if I was going to mess with either I wanted to go with new panels and did.

I would have been running away (vary fast) from that truck if it were mine.

You did a great job bringing it back from the dead LOL

Dave ----

I'm so used to all that rust here with living in New York that that floor is nothing more than a shoulder shrug to me, how sad :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

I'm so used to all that rust here with living in New York that that floor is nothing more than a shoulder shrug to me, how sad http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/uploads/6/5/8/7/65879365/laughing-25-x-25_orig.gif

Don't let the NC in my sig fool you I am from CT up till 2015 and did body work so I know rust.

Maybe that is why I bought this down here LOL

8020Left20Front001.jpg.de06350c56b46935d6ad6dfd49c4861f.jpg

The other side was the same

20160102_175338.jpg.4ff35751599013449a0ade32e99886ef.jpg

4 years later and a lot of work

20200101_135529.jpg.f7a590d34c0e08bcfc40dd63ed400600.jpg

Dave ----

I'm so used to all that rust here with living in New York that that floor is nothing more than a shoulder shrug to me, how sad :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

Don't let the NC in my sig fool you I am from CT up till 2015 and did body work so I know rust.

Dave ----

So "purdy"!

Dave ----

Damn Dave, that turned out awesome. I love the paint! Hoping some good paint will be laid in the future. It's been a while since this truck had a true 2 stage paint job.

I'm super proud of this thing, even when I was kid I loved showing it off saying hey theres my dad! Everyone local knows this truck, it's a bit of a legend around here. Makes me smile when someone asks me a out it and I go "yeah he still has it!".

I remember one time as a kid this one guy I knew asked me if it was a monster truck :)

Damn Dave, that turned out awesome. I love the paint! Hoping some good paint will be laid in the future. It's been a while since this truck had a true 2 stage paint job.

I'm super proud of this thing, even when I was kid I loved showing it off saying hey theres my dad! Everyone local knows this truck, it's a bit of a legend around here. Makes me smile when someone asks me a out it and I go "yeah he still has it!".

I remember one time as a kid this one guy I knew asked me if it was a monster truck :)

Thanks guys

That is the factory colors on the truck and AFAIK the way it left the factory.

It is also single stage just like the factory did back in the day.

It was hard enough to find the time to put the 1 stage paint of for each color.

White let dry tape up and paint the red then did the same on the bed.

So that is 4 different times for painting and if I did a clear over that add 2 more times (1 for cab & 1 for bed) for painting and that was never going to happen!

Then you have the $$ for clear, just the red for inside, under hood and outside was $1000 with hardener & thinner. Then add $$ for the white with hardener & thinner and that is for paint only.

You still have primer & thinner and all the body filler and supplies to sand it down just to get it to the paint stage.

Body work supplies are not cheap and if you have a shop do the work add labor on top.

Dave ----

Thanks guys

That is the factory colors on the truck and AFAIK the way it left the factory.

It is also single stage just like the factory did back in the day.

It was hard enough to find the time to put the 1 stage paint of for each color.

White let dry tape up and paint the red then did the same on the bed.

So that is 4 different times for painting and if I did a clear over that add 2 more times (1 for cab & 1 for bed) for painting and that was never going to happen!

Then you have the $$ for clear, just the red for inside, under hood and outside was $1000 with hardener & thinner. Then add $$ for the white with hardener & thinner and that is for paint only.

You still have primer & thinner and all the body filler and supplies to sand it down just to get it to the paint stage.

Body work supplies are not cheap and if you have a shop do the work add labor on top.

Dave ----

The last time this truck got painted I'm pretty sure it was a wedding gift because my parents were on their honeymoon when it got done.

It looks excellent, single stage can look good when it is taken care of. Any reason for the painted bumper over chrome?

The last time this truck got painted I'm pretty sure it was a wedding gift because my parents were on their honeymoon when it got done.

It looks excellent, single stage can look good when it is taken care of. Any reason for the painted bumper over chrome?

Yes on the bumper(s).

Take a closer look at it besides the paint, it is custom in 2 ways.

See the fog / driving lights built into the bumper? You cant buy them this way.

Also see any bumper bolts? Nope the other custom touch.

The rear bumper also dose not have bumper bolts.

20200101_135620.jpg.db457741e79692acd537c7ae82f61726.jpg

There was no way I could swing the $$ for re-chroming.

I looked in to getting them wrapped in chrome but of 3 shops only 1 would even think of wrapping and the was in brushed SS as they were afraid of scratching the film when getting the air out from under it.

They did give me someone else but you had to make an apt. for him to even look at it and with work hours I did not even try to call.

That 1 shop said they start at $200 and up depending on the time it took to wrap.

Paint was maybe $50 for the silver & clear pre-mix so just add to paint gun and spray.

IIRC I used a Preval sprayer

preval-sprayer-parts-0225-64_1000.thumb.jpg.093e7e18edf216464d21f1db9ffed14f.jpg

If you look closely at the left rear fender you will see a rear fuel filler door for a rear tank.

Not an option on a flare side and with the stock front tank I now have duel tanks using the factory dash switch so it looks factory stock.

The other is I replaced the wood floor with a style side metal ribbed one.

20190920_143951.jpg.00813c83f473007709a111b7116edb2e.jpg

Dave ----

Yes on the bumper(s).

Take a closer look at it besides the paint, it is custom in 2 ways.

See the fog / driving lights built into the bumper? You cant buy them this way.

Also see any bumper bolts? Nope the other custom touch.

The rear bumper also dose not have bumper bolts.

There was no way I could swing the $$ for re-chroming.

I looked in to getting them wrapped in chrome but of 3 shops only 1 would even think of wrapping and the was in brushed SS as they were afraid of scratching the film when getting the air out from under it.

They did give me someone else but you had to make an apt. for him to even look at it and with work hours I did not even try to call.

That 1 shop said they start at $200 and up depending on the time it took to wrap.

Paint was maybe $50 for the silver & clear pre-mix so just add to paint gun and spray.

IIRC I used a Preval sprayer

If you look closely at the left rear fender you will see a rear fuel filler door for a rear tank.

Not an option on a flare side and with the stock front tank I now have duel tanks using the factory dash switch so it looks factory stock.

The other is I replaced the wood floor with a style side metal ribbed one.

Dave ----

I see now. That looks absolutely fantastic!