Bullnose Forums

Spark plug wires/distributor wires

delco1946

That rotor looks like one for an EEC-III system possibly, they were extremely strange.

On plug wires, two things I learned owning my shop:

First, if the manufacturer isn't proud enough of his product to put his name on there, run from it!

Second, back in the early high output ignition days, and especially on some engines, and wires over 3 years old were suspect, the old 1000 ohms per foot applied for resistance checks (this meant a MOPAR big block #7 wire would be roughly 7000 ohms).

Gary, feel free to measure the one on your MOPAR. It went from the distributor, down under the AC compressor, across the front of the block, down the inside of the left valve cover, over the back of the head, through a plastic "spool", then out through another "spool" and to the plug under the exhaust manifold. Thankfully Ford came to their senses after the Y-block era.

EEC-III was my other thought, but that being said I'm still not exactly sure how that would have even worked.

• 2 weeks later...

EEC-III was my other thought, but that being said I'm still not exactly sure how that would have even worked.

I personally like the Motorcraft replacement wires. They're grey silicone with black boots, and as Rembrandt said, look just like originals except the don't have cylinder numbers on them.

For the most part, I hate aftermarket wire sets, but one exception is sold by Napa. They're labelled "Wired for Life" and appear to be a very good quality product.

No idea how old my wires are...and seeing as I plan on dying with my truck in 50+ years...

For the most part, I hate aftermarket wire sets, but one exception is sold by Napa. They're labelled "Wired for Life" and appear to be a very good quality product.

Yep, Belden Premium! sounds like they may be the last set of wires you ever need. :nabble_smiley_whistling: