Bullnose Forums

Speed Control Clutch Switch & Clutch Start Switch Mutually Exclusive?

Gary I am remembering mine to have both switches, but how they were mounted is a bit cloudy in my memory.

I pulled mine out during Janโ€™s ZF swap when we realized he needed the manual brake pedal with the HD vacuum pin location. I had a manual pedal box lined up for him but it had the light duty vacuum pedal. It was also at this moment that I realized pedal boxes for speed control trucks had a threaded bolt hole and bracket alignment hole that were missing on the non speed control pedal box. I should have (somewhere) the photos I took of mine when I took it apart, but I donโ€™t have them handy.

If you are not having any luck with your horn pad speed control switches, I have several horn pads that you are welcome to try... to see if a different 35 year old switch works any better! ๐Ÿ˜

Hmmm, it didn't seem right when you showed your wiring diagram where you eliminated the brake pressure switch and streamlined the inputs to the speed control.

It's often challenging for me to suss all the details of a system I don't have, but you've obviously got the right help here! ๐Ÿ‘

Hmmm, it didn't seem right when you showed your wiring diagram where you eliminated the brake pressure switch and streamlined the inputs to the speed control.

It's often challenging for me to suss all the details of a system I don't have, but you've obviously got the right help here! ๐Ÿ‘

Jim - Yes, we have the right help here!

And, while the parts washer is cleaning the crossmember, I did some checking and the bracket does provide a position for both switches, as seen here. (The empty bracket is just to help you see how the switches go on.)

Speed_Control_and_Start_Switches_on_Brackets.thumb.jpg.58aa63ef09983389ae6a6c32cb0b5310.jpg

And here's a side-by-side of the pedal up & down to show how the switches work:

Speed_Control_and_Start_Switches_-_Pedal_Up.thumb.jpg.a4cb0253fc2414ae973b5821aba906f8.jpgSpeed_Control_and_Start_Switches_-_Pedal_Down.thumb.jpg.ecd878b4a12f835ed802f2214b899cff.jpg

Jim - Yes, we have the right help here!

And, while the parts washer is cleaning the crossmember, I did some checking and the bracket does provide a position for both switches, as seen here. (The empty bracket is just to help you see how the switches go on.)

And here's a side-by-side of the pedal up & down to show how the switches work:

Very nice pictures Gary! This will come in handy when I go to re-assemble my crew cab after itโ€™s long slumber. These pictures will end up in the documentation pages I trust?

Yes, there are two switches associated with the clutch pedal/lever, as shown below.

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n49415/E4TZ_9A837_-_Speed_Control_Stop_Switch.jpghttp://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n49415/E4TZ_11A152_-_Clutch_Starter_Switch.jpg

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n49415/Start_vs_Speed_Control_Switches.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM-Ford-E4TZ-9A837-A-Speed-Control-Release-Stop-Switch-1984-87-F-150-350/184086206149?epid=1023673777&hash=item2adc6496c5:g:nPQAAOSwr3hd-VG7

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-FORD-CRUISE-CONTROL-RELEASE-SWITCH-OEM/293399206358?epid=1023673777&hash=item444ff499d6:g:1woAAOSw0yVca5wr

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-1984-1985-1986-1987-FORD-BRONCO-SPEED-CONTROL-RELEASE-SWITCH/372145429360?epid=1023673777&hash=item56a5989b70:g:fqMAAOSwhYdZvB7R

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-1984-1987-F-U150-350-TRUCK-STOP-SWITCH-ASSY-SPEED-CONTROL-RELEASE-NOS/401387893012?hash=item5d74953114:g:WoIAAMXQjWtRQnQP

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM-FORD-F150-Bronco-Stop-Switch-Speed-Control-Release-E4TZ9A837A-SHIP-TODAY/193242889994?epid=1023673777&hash=item2cfe2c7f0a:g:n0AAAOSwaShd6TZS

https://www.ebay.com/itm/84-87-F-150-250-PICK-UP-TRUCK-NOS-BRAKE-SWITCH-SPEED-CONTROL-E4TZ-9A837-A/222683262526?hash=item33d8f4ee3e:g:3wUAAOSwy0JZ57jz

And...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OUT-OF-BOX-FORD-E4TZ-11A152-B-Clutch-Starter-Switch-84-86-F-150-350-Bronco/184132757523?hash=item2adf2ae813:g:vQQAAOSwnYVeIkpF

Jonathan - I've added lines to the Forum & Website Upgrades spreadsheet to add both a page on these switches as well as one on hydroboost - when I get mine done. (We'll collaborate on that.)

That's the beauty of our website. We can convert conversations on threads into web pages that pull from all the conversations as well as Ford documentation and offsite info to create a holistic result that helps everyone. (Not all forums are coupled to such a website. :nabble_smiley_wink:)

David - The bad news is that I've already ordered the speed control switch. The good news is that I got it for $20 w/free shipping, which I think matches what you fou.nd. But thanks anyway

• 2 weeks later...

I was holding off on buying the switch because I didnโ€™t know where it mounted.

Gary,

I just wanted to circle back to this thread and say thanks for the info. I just ordered a factory clutch switch myself and it was the last piece of my aftermarket cruise installation puzzle. The aftermarket companies sell generic clutch switches, but this one being a factory piece that just pops in place and is a 2-wire N/O makes it perfect.

One quick question though. On the VSS there are two wires. One is the pulse output to the controller obviously. The other is just tied to ground, correct? I'll be using a later style VSS that bolts to my 5spd trans, but I assume they operate exactly the same as the cable mounted Bullnose VSS?

I was holding off on buying the switch because I didnโ€™t know where it mounted.

Gary,

I just wanted to circle back to this thread and say thanks for the info. I just ordered a factory clutch switch myself and it was the last piece of my aftermarket cruise installation puzzle. The aftermarket companies sell generic clutch switches, but this one being a factory piece that just pops in place and is a 2-wire N/O makes it perfect.

One quick question though. On the VSS there are two wires. One is the pulse output to the controller obviously. The other is just tied to ground, correct? I'll be using a later style VSS that bolts to my 5spd trans, but I assume they operate exactly the same as the cable mounted Bullnose VSS?

Welcome. Glad it helped.

On the wiring, the black wire may be ground, but it is tied to the speed control amplifier, as shown below.

And I assume with you that the VSS that mounts to the tranny/t-case operates the same, but I don't know and I don't think I have any documentation that tells. My later EVTM, the '95 one, shows a rear axle mounted VSS and it goes to the PSOM first, so is different. But the one you are talking about has both a cable and an electrical output - right?

1985-etm-page141.thumb.jpg.2ea9a2637a24487dc721da8ed7afc3e4.jpg

On the wiring, the black wire may be ground, but it is tied to the speed control amplifier, as shown below.

And I assume with you that the VSS that mounts to the tranny/t-case operates the same, but I don't know and I don't think I have any documentation that tells. My later EVTM, the '95 one, shows a rear axle mounted VSS and it goes to the PSOM first, so is different. But the one you are talking about has both a cable and an electrical output - right?

Yes, I'm using the 1988-1991 style VSS that plugs into the transmission, and then the speedo cable plugs into it. I've confirmed that the Ford VSS output is fine for the aftermarket cruise, but the instructions only tell the installer to splice into one of the existing wires to the VSS (and this is what I have done with the cruise system previously). The problem is, my truck does not currently have a VSS, and therefore no wires going to it. So I know the VSS output is fine, I just wasn't sure what to supply it with.

I looked at the EVTM as you have shown above, and was curious where the ground wire comes into the Amplifier (C717) is that tied directly to the ground in the C727 connector? That black ground wire is labelled #57 from the ground to the amplifier and then back out to the VSS. I was just trying to confirm that all I needed to supply TO the VSS was ground.

ย 

Yes, I'm using the 1988-1991 style VSS that plugs into the transmission, and then the speedo cable plugs into it. I've confirmed that the Ford VSS output is fine for the aftermarket cruise, but the instructions only tell the installer to splice into one of the existing wires to the VSS (and this is what I have done with the cruise system previously). The problem is, my truck does not currently have a VSS, and therefore no wires going to it. So I know the VSS output is fine, I just wasn't sure what to supply it with.

I looked at the EVTM as you have shown above, and was curious where the ground wire comes into the Amplifier (C717) is that tied directly to the ground in the C727 connector? That black ground wire is labelled #57 from the ground to the amplifier and then back out to the VSS. I was just trying to confirm that all I needed to supply TO the VSS was ground.

I'm not 100% sure I understand your question, but black is almost always ground, and Circuit 57 is ground. But the "727 connector" bit throws me.

It looks to me like 727 is just a normal 2-pin connector passing the two wires. So I thought maybe you meant "717", but its pin-out shows a connection for #57 and another for #57A, and I assume the latter is from the VSS. So I'm guessing that the speed control amp itself passes a ground signal back to the VSS to complete the circuit.

In any event, I believe you are safe grounding one side of the VSS and sending the other to your aftermarket cruise system.