Bullnose Forums

1982 F100 Project

Alex Guenther

Here is my 1982 F100 Project

truck.jpg.b7df28ae8faf90ccc550a43bbecb87b2.jpg

Truck came with the 3.8 V6 and SROD transmission but both of those are out now and I am looking to swap engines (transmission too?) and want to reach out for any advice. I already got great feedback in my introduction thread (thanks!) about going with a 302 or 351w and I ended up purchasing the engine perches found in the marketplace forum (thanks again!).

Overall project goal: This will be a street truck and not be a daily driver so I am not concerned with MPG or worried about towing. I should also mention this is my first project and up until pulling the engine, I have only ever done oil changes and a brake job awhile back. That being said, I am just looking for something fun to drive and work on and enjoy the learning process with.

I would like to get a running engine and have been looking for 351s on car-parts.com and had a few questions I would love some feedback on:

Most of the engines I am seeing are between $450 and $550. They all say they are running and tested but only a few have compression or oil test results. Is this something you can generally ask for or do you have to buy it then do it yourself?

From what I researched, converting a EFI engine to carb would mean swapping out the intake manifold and making sure I have a duraspark II distributor with a steel gear? I am sure I am missing something so I just wanted to ask.

As for transmission, can the SROD hold up to a 351? I would like to swap it out with something sturdier but hoping to make the swap as beginner friendly as possible. Would switching to a TOD or SMOD hold up to the new 351? I see the NP435 goes to the same bellhousing but I am not sure what else would be involved. Any tranny recommendations with heavy leaning towards swap ease?

I apologize for all the questions and just want to thank everyone in advance.

The goal for the next week or two is just to clean up the engine bay while gathering parts for the swap. Some photos of the old engine and tranny:

engineBay.thumb.jpg.d5cc145ee67877fbd0f4a6cab4ade217.jpg

v6Engine.thumb.jpg.189287025a4a286f05b4e77333b3841c.jpg

SROD.thumb.jpg.3e7b9264d11f3cc1e8db3e701e767c16.jpg

Alex, welcome again to the forum.

Post up a picture of the cert. sticker from the drivers door frame so we can run the numbers to see just how that truck left the factory.

I don't see why you cant do this project in stages.

Motor first, 302 / 352, and reuse the transmission just so you can "have fun" till you find a different trans.

I would not go with a NP435 / T18 / T19 as they are all truck trans and shift slow as a truck trans does.

I think the ZF5 is also a little to much of a truck trans to have fun with.

I would look for the M5-R2 like Cory/Rembrant has in his truck as it sounds like it shifts well and can be a fun trans on the street. It is a 5sp with over drive.

The other would be a WC T5 (WC=world class) like used in the Mustangs.

Now if you hammer on the T5 (or any trans) it will not last as you do have it in a heavier truck but I know of a guy that has one behind a AMC 390 in a AMC Machine and it is heaver and way more power than a 302. I don't know how hard he is on it but its been in the car for years and he drives it all over.

I also have a WC T5 with hop up parts in it in my 70 AMC Javelin with a AMC 360 but not on the street yet.

As for the motors back in the day it was $1 a CID and up for low miles not clue what they go for now days but what you listed I would say is far. I did not know they did compression & oil testing, they would show a motor is good or bad if you could trust the testing. Most of the time you were on your own and if you found the motor bad they would send you another or money back, you ate the $$ for the R&R and any oil, etc. that went into it.

Thinking back on the stage deal and your trans. I wonder if with the 302/351 the trans has to be moved back some and then other things need to be "adjusted"?

Then again the 302/351 might be longer in the front and the trans stays where it is?

Dave ----

Alex, welcome again to the forum.

Post up a picture of the cert. sticker from the drivers door frame so we can run the numbers to see just how that truck left the factory.

I don't see why you cant do this project in stages.

Motor first, 302 / 352, and reuse the transmission just so you can "have fun" till you find a different trans.

I would not go with a NP435 / T18 / T19 as they are all truck trans and shift slow as a truck trans does.

I think the ZF5 is also a little to much of a truck trans to have fun with.

I would look for the M5-R2 like Cory/Rembrant has in his truck as it sounds like it shifts well and can be a fun trans on the street. It is a 5sp with over drive.

The other would be a WC T5 (WC=world class) like used in the Mustangs.

Now if you hammer on the T5 (or any trans) it will not last as you do have it in a heavier truck but I know of a guy that has one behind a AMC 390 in a AMC Machine and it is heaver and way more power than a 302. I don't know how hard he is on it but its been in the car for years and he drives it all over.

I also have a WC T5 with hop up parts in it in my 70 AMC Javelin with a AMC 360 but not on the street yet.

As for the motors back in the day it was $1 a CID and up for low miles not clue what they go for now days but what you listed I would say is far. I did not know they did compression & oil testing, they would show a motor is good or bad if you could trust the testing. Most of the time you were on your own and if you found the motor bad they would send you another or money back, you ate the $$ for the R&R and any oil, etc. that went into it.

Thinking back on the stage deal and your trans. I wonder if with the 302/351 the trans has to be moved back some and then other things need to be "adjusted"?

Then again the 302/351 might be longer in the front and the trans stays where it is?

Dave ----

I see the truck does not have power brakes.

Do you know what the wheel bolt pattern is? 5 on 5.5 or 5 on 4.5? I think its 5x5.5.

Also does the truck have power steering?

Dave ----

Do you know what the wheel bolt pattern is? 5 on 5.5 or 5 on 4.5? I think its 5x5.5.

Dave ----

One thing I see is that it has the very basic level radiator, will that small radiator size work for a V8, or is it even available anymore? My F150 had the same basic radiator and I modified the radiator support so that I could run the wider radiator.

Dave ----

Hey Dave,

here is a photo of the tag:

doorTag.thumb.png.9f9de3a3f9c30b48ce06cb1f95c81aa3.png

Your right about the 5x5.5 pattern and not having power brakes. No power steering either. There is a shop pretty close to my house with a 351w with 148k miles out of an Ecoline for $500. There is a 30 day warranty and a video of it running. I am leaning towards getting this motor and trying to get it in as soon as possible.

Hey Shaun,

I have the original radiator but based on old thread I was planning on changing it out with a v8 radiator. Anything I should watch out for here?

Thanks for all the replies.

Hey Dave,

here is a photo of the tag:

Your right about the 5x5.5 pattern and not having power brakes. No power steering either. There is a shop pretty close to my house with a 351w with 148k miles out of an Ecoline for $500. There is a 30 day warranty and a video of it running. I am leaning towards getting this motor and trying to get it in as soon as possible.

Hey Shaun,

I have the original radiator but based on old thread I was planning on changing it out with a v8 radiator. Anything I should watch out for here?

Thanks for all the replies.

The opening for airflow to the radiator is smaller on your truck than what would come on a V8 truck. I cut mine out in a way that allowed it to mimic an original support. Look up a picture of the V8 support, and compare it to yours and you'll see what needs to be done.

Also, those motor mount towers/perches on the frame look like they're unique to your V6, so in order to run the 351W, you'll need the correct towers.

The opening for airflow to the radiator is smaller on your truck than what would come on a V8 truck. I cut mine out in a way that allowed it to mimic an original support. Look up a picture of the V8 support, and compare it to yours and you'll see what needs to be done.

Also, those motor mount towers/perches on the frame look like they're unique to your V6, so in order to run the 351W, you'll need the correct towers.

Thanks Shaun. I will check out a v8 radiator. As for the towers/perches, Gary sent me to a link for a pair on Ebay and I ordered them so I should be good there.

One thing I see is that it has the very basic level radiator, will that small radiator size work for a V8, or is it even available anymore? My F150 had the same basic radiator and I modified the radiator support so that I could run the wider radiator.

How can you tell the size radiator from the pictures he posted?

AFAIK the support openings come in 2 sizes small for non-AC trucks and large for AC trucks.

Both of my trucks were 300 six trucks but 1 had AC (large opening) and the other did not (small opening).

The only other was for diesel IIRC.

Now the radiators did have different mounts in the later years.

His look to be like both of mine were, the bottom tank sat in rubbers on either side and the top had rubbers in brackets that fit the top tank and a metal bracket went over that.

20190118_210223.jpg.797902f5c223532dc09a5679f58abf65.jpg

The later years the radiator had tabs on the side of the plastic tanks and rubber washers & bolts held it to the support.

20170211_171931.jpg.1d1daaa49ad8930cedafcf3799667a53.jpg

I don't remember the supports in my 1981 trucks to take the later tab mount radiator, that one was held in with wire on my truck.

Dave ----

Thanks Shaun. I will check out a v8 radiator. As for the towers/perches, Gary sent me to a link for a pair on Ebay and I ordered them so I should be good there.

Perfect!

I used to have pictures from when I modified my radiator support, but when ImageShack and Photobucket became money hungry, I lost all of them. And I no longer have that truck so can only advise from memory.

How can you tell the size radiator from the pictures he posted?

AFAIK the support openings come in 2 sizes small for non-AC trucks and large for AC trucks.

Both of my trucks were 300 six trucks but 1 had AC (large opening) and the other did not (small opening).

The only other was for diesel IIRC.

Dave just helped me remember that my truck was a non a/c w/ 300 six which explains the small radiator.

As far as how I can tell, you can see that his upper mount was on the inner position based on the discoloration, which means he has the smaller radiator and support.