Bullnose Forums

Necessities List?

Angelo Voltura

So, I'm thinking out loud here, but we all know there are certain things that are kind of a "must do" if you will, when you purchase one of these trucks. Either some kind of upgrade, fire proofing, lighting, something.

The idea here is to kind of compile those common things, for example, the headlight relay harness upgrade, into one document easily accessible to those who access the forum here, so that new owners can take advantage of what a lot of us have spent many years trying to figure out and have finally found solutions to etc.

The idea is to not only provide a comprehensive list of "must do" upgrades, but to explain why and provide sources for parts so that people can easily add these things to their trucks.

Feel free to add your thoughts guys and throw some of those things my way.

First few things that immediately come to mind:

Headlight Relay Harness

Door Handle Reinforcement Plate

Firewall Reinforcement Plate for Manual Trucks

Sealed Beam to H4 Bulb Conversion

There's a lot more out there, let me know what you all think.

While I would do the headlight relay upgrade, I know of members here who want to keep their trucks stock. And I can understand that. So I'm very sure not all would agree that it is a necessity. However, I believe it is something that can prevent damage to the truck in the way of melted wires or burned headlight switch. And, it makes driving at night safer because of the extra light it provides.

And Shaun said on the thread about holes in doors that he's not seen cracked Bullnose doors. Nor have I. But I think that reinforcement panel might be a good addition to Big Blue. His doors have been butchered by :nabble_florida-man-42_orig: and aren't as strong as they once were. And taking him overlanding will cause the doors to be opened and closed in all sorts of angles, which will place extra stress on them.

As for the firewall reinforcement, I think it is prudent - on a truck with hydraulic clutch linkage. A lot of these trucks have had problems with cracked firewalls, which Ford acknowledged with their TSB, due to all of the fore/aft force centered on the clutch master cylinder. And the firewalls aren't getting any stronger over time. So why not add the reinforcement? Especially if, like I am on Big Blue, you are adding a heavy duty clutch which will increase the force.

Concerning the headlights, I don't know that I'd put the H4 change in the "necessities" category - at least not stated that way. The bulk of H4 bulbs have the same wattage as a standard sealed beam headlight for our trucks. And the bulk of the shells/reflectors are effectively the same as those in our sealed beams. So just going "H4" doesn't mean you are upgrading. And while there are H4 bulbs with higher wattage, they aren't technically legal. On other hand, there are very good reflectors, like the Hella E-codes, and coupled with a strong bulb can give excellent lighting.

While I would do the headlight relay upgrade, I know of members here who want to keep their trucks stock. And I can understand that. So I'm very sure not all would agree that it is a necessity. However, I believe it is something that can prevent damage to the truck in the way of melted wires or burned headlight switch. And, it makes driving at night safer because of the extra light it provides.

And Shaun said on the thread about holes in doors that he's not seen cracked Bullnose doors. Nor have I. But I think that reinforcement panel might be a good addition to Big Blue. His doors have been butchered by :nabble_florida-man-42_orig: and aren't as strong as they once were. And taking him overlanding will cause the doors to be opened and closed in all sorts of angles, which will place extra stress on them.

As for the firewall reinforcement, I think it is prudent - on a truck with hydraulic clutch linkage. A lot of these trucks have had problems with cracked firewalls, which Ford acknowledged with their TSB, due to all of the fore/aft force centered on the clutch master cylinder. And the firewalls aren't getting any stronger over time. So why not add the reinforcement? Especially if, like I am on Big Blue, you are adding a heavy duty clutch which will increase the force.

Concerning the headlights, I don't know that I'd put the H4 change in the "necessities" category - at least not stated that way. The bulk of H4 bulbs have the same wattage as a standard sealed beam headlight for our trucks. And the bulk of the shells/reflectors are effectively the same as those in our sealed beams. So just going "H4" doesn't mean you are upgrading. And while there are H4 bulbs with higher wattage, they aren't technically legal. On other hand, there are very good reflectors, like the Hella E-codes, and coupled with a strong bulb can give excellent lighting.

Instead of a Necessities list, you might just call in Common Modifications/Upgrades. This is pretty typical of a lot of model specific websites. You could just create a post in this section of the forum and then fill it with links to the pages that have already been created for those modifications/upgrades.

Instead of a Necessities list, you might just call in Common Modifications/Upgrades. This is pretty typical of a lot of model specific websites. You could just create a post in this section of the forum and then fill it with links to the pages that have already been created for those modifications/upgrades.

I think the Common Modifications idea is a good one. One person's necessities aren't everyone's. But many of the upgrades are common. :nabble_smiley_good:

I think the Common Modifications idea is a good one. One person's necessities aren't everyone's. But many of the upgrades are common. :nabble_smiley_good:

Being I have done the head light relay harness it should be high up on the list and you can do this and keep it out of sight if you really want to.

You can hardly see mine and I was not even trying to hide it.

If I had a type of clutch that needed the fire wall brace that would be another high up on the list.

I now have the pedals and thinking of getting the brace (or 2) to have on hand if I ever need it.

I don't know what this door brace is? Dose someone have a link to a post that may explain it?

I had Cibie H4 bulb lights in another truck and never again. Low beam you could not tell were on and high was not any better than a holagen sealed light.

Dave ----

Being I have done the head light relay harness it should be high up on the list and you can do this and keep it out of sight if you really want to.

You can hardly see mine and I was not even trying to hide it.

If I had a type of clutch that needed the fire wall brace that would be another high up on the list.

I now have the pedals and thinking of getting the brace (or 2) to have on hand if I ever need it.

I don't know what this door brace is? Dose someone have a link to a post that may explain it?

I had Cibie H4 bulb lights in another truck and never again. Low beam you could not tell were on and high was not any better than a holagen sealed light.

Dave ----

Dave - See this post on the door patch. And read up to see what Shaun said.

On the headlights, there are lots of different H4 bulbs and reflectors. I've read and been told that the Hella E-codes are outstanding, so that's my plan.

The Hella DOT ones are quite good!

The very first thing should be to replace any and all flammable fluid lines. Seen way too many of these trucks go up in flames due to fuel or transmission leaks. My dad's own truck almost went up in flames once due to a transmission line leak.

Anybody who is on the 80-86 Bullnose Fords page on Facebook knows what I'm referring to.

Also, leaves in the blower motor housing.

Blend door/piano hinge repair... I like the early blend doors made of aluminum for this better than the plastic ones...

Firewall reinforcement is a good one... especially since Ford made a part for this known problem.

Borg Warner 1356 oil pump anchor (I know this isn’t Bullnose era... but many have 1356’s in their trucks).

Slide lock to pin lock is common for 80/81 owners, DSII is common for ~83-86 owners.

For 6.9 owners water separator bypass (or aftermarket substitute), glow plug controller manual control bypass (or 87+ glow plug system swap) and fuel filter head return line delete are all usually necessary to keep them starting reliably. Cowl seal maintenance is also extremely important to prevent hydrolock.

Other popular ones are 87-96 visors with center support, 85/86 plastic glove box liners, bricknose polka-dot cowl piece (or screen), and late style “J” wiper arms instead of post mounted blades.

Blend door/piano hinge repair... I like the early blend doors made of aluminum for this better than the plastic ones...

Firewall reinforcement is a good one... especially since Ford made a part for this known problem.

Borg Warner 1356 oil pump anchor (I know this isn’t Bullnose era... but many have 1356’s in their trucks).

Slide lock to pin lock is common for 80/81 owners, DSII is common for ~83-86 owners.

For 6.9 owners water separator bypass (or aftermarket substitute), glow plug controller manual control bypass (or 87+ glow plug system swap) and fuel filter head return line delete are all usually necessary to keep them starting reliably. Cowl seal maintenance is also extremely important to prevent hydrolock.

Other popular ones are 87-96 visors with center support, 85/86 plastic glove box liners, bricknose polka-dot cowl piece (or screen), and late style “J” wiper arms instead of post mounted blades.

Good lists, Jonathan and all others!