Bullnose Forums

Distributor Gear Question

Right, but bushings are cheap

I don't like the idea of running a gear that's already been mated to another gear, but it is what it is..

I totally get that with a used one. That’s why I’ve been looking at new as well. I haven’t seen much in the way of parts for these, I’ll have to do some more looking.

I think I just replied to your question on one of the FB groups.

I suggested calling Scott at Parkland Performance. I just got a custom curved DSII distributor from him for my 302. It didn't occur to me until after, but your distributor is not DSII, correct? This is an EFI truck with computer? In any case, it wouldn't hurt to call him...he may even have a distributor gear for you. I talked to him on the phone a few times and he was very helpful with my distributor. If he is not able to assist you, he can probably give you some good advice on what to do (or what to buy).

http://reincarnation-automotive.com/

Have you considered rebuilding your own distributor?

I seem to remember there being an issue with shaft lengths.

(Not 351-302) but that the internal hex broach for the oil pump can bottom out, or not get enough engagement, depending on which way you swap distributors.

Iirc later oil pump shafts were longer, and of course the 302 got a 1/4 shaft where the 351's is 5/16.

I may be far off base as Windsors are not my 'Special Interest' but I do think it's worth investigating the details, losing oil pressure or cracking your distributor because you didn't know better is going to be expensive.

(Not 351-302) but that the internal hex broach for the oil pump can bottom out, or not get enough engagement, depending on which way you swap distributors.

Iirc later oil pump shafts were longer, and of course the 302 got a 1/4 shaft where the 351's is 5/16.

I may be far off base as Windsors are not my 'Special Interest' but I do think it's worth investigating the details, losing oil pressure or cracking your distributor because you didn't know better is going to be expensive.

Cory - That was me on FB and you are correct, I am EEC-IV with the distributor mounted control module.

I had looked at this a little bit previously when purchasing an oil pump priming tool and the oil pump intermediate shaft is the same for '86 and '92. I would assume that the distributor length would be there same in that case. Most of the aftermarket EFI distributors are also labeled '86-'93 so I think I'm ok.

Cory - That was me on FB and you are correct, I am EEC-IV with the distributor mounted control module.

I had looked at this a little bit previously when purchasing an oil pump priming tool and the oil pump intermediate shaft is the same for '86 and '92. I would assume that the distributor length would be there same in that case. Most of the aftermarket EFI distributors are also labeled '86-'93 so I think I'm ok.

Well, you know more than I, and you've done due diligence.

Just wanted to throw it out there.

Well, you know more than I, and you've done due diligence.

Just wanted to throw it out there.

I appreciate it. I hadn't thought of the whole steel gear issue until just recently so I welcome the questions. I'd rather have someone throw out the info for the assist even if it's something I've looked into.

You might already know this but just in case- from 86 and up all 5.0 ho mustangs should have a dizzy with a steel gear and should have the tfi module on the dizzy which is what you need from my understanding but would need to double check if that'll work 100%. That could be an option, $65 on RockAuto. I've purchased a steel dizzy gear for about $35, if I remember correctly, on RockAuto. While mine was for a 351W by 85 or 86 the 302s and 351s had the same distributor shaft size so there should be some available.