Bullnose Forums

Distributor Gear Question

So....Does anyone know what material was used for the distributor gears on the bullnose trucks? Assuming they were cast iron, but thought I'd check. One thing I didn't think about going to the '92 roller block was possibly needing to upgrade the distributor drive gear to steel which is $60-$90 if I buy the gear separate. Might need to make a junkyard run for a 92+ distributor to steal the gear.....

Yeah.

It's hard to fathom that a bitty steel gear costs as much as a reman distributor, but there you go. 🙄

Yeah that's pretty ridiculous.... Is there any easy way to tell the difference between a cast-iron and steel gear?

Cast surface?

You can tell by a spark test, but I wouldn't want to do that to a gear I'm going to use.

Yeah.

It's hard to fathom that a bitty steel gear costs as much as a reman distributor, but there you go. 🙄

Yeah that's pretty ridiculous.... Is there any easy way to tell the difference between a cast-iron and steel gear?

If you're using the dizzy from a non roller cam engine in a roller cam engine then you will definitely need to change the gear to one that is compatible with a roller cam. Whether you buy a new gear or swap one from a roller cam dizzy is up to you, but it is a must do item. If you go the junk yard swap route, you must verify that the engine you pull the dizzy from is a roller cam engine and not a non roller cam engine swapped into where a roller cam engine was originally.

If you're using the dizzy from a non roller cam engine in a roller cam engine then you will definitely need to change the gear to one that is compatible with a roller cam. Whether you buy a new gear or swap one from a roller cam dizzy is up to you, but it is a must do item. If you go the junk yard swap route, you must verify that the engine you pull the dizzy from is a roller cam engine and not a non roller cam engine swapped into where a roller cam engine was originally.

With all of the issues with the control modules on these distributors, anyone have any experience with brands of distributors, even if it is terrible and something to stay away from? I'll be honest, I'm deep into my 30s and have never purchased a distributor.....:nabble_smiley_happy::nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

With all of the issues with the control modules on these distributors, anyone have any experience with brands of distributors, even if it is terrible and something to stay away from? I'll be honest, I'm deep into my 30s and have never purchased a distributor.....:nabble_smiley_happy::nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

I bought a remanufactured unit from Cardone. Worked fine. But I suspect that their's aren't held to the tightest specs. So a Motorcraft would be a good choice if you want high quality.

I bought a remanufactured unit from Cardone. Worked fine. But I suspect that their's aren't held to the tightest specs. So a Motorcraft would be a good choice if you want high quality.

I haven’t been able to find a Motorcraft in stock. Only a few of the components.

I haven’t been able to find a Motorcraft in stock. Only a few of the components.

Have you considered rebuilding your own distributor?