Bullnose Forums

460 Electrical Fuel Pumps Starter Relay

kramttocs

yes it does for my 86 f150...i just got this 84 f250 2 weeks ago

Have a look at pg 105 here in the 1985 EVTM

I'm not sure if '84 was early enough to have just a selector solenoid (with no relay)

I can look into that when I get some reception.

Readsboro VT is beautiful but cell service is spotty.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok...sending pics...my 84 f250 is a 460 with hot fueling...it is a Cali truck originally now in AZ

and i understand one of these is the fuel pump relay....where is the fuel tank selector relay?

thanks

The bottom one with the tan/grey housing is the fuel pump selector relay.

Don't recall the colors on the other so will have to check on it later. Do you have the towing electric control package?

Edit: Thanks Jim for the EVTM link. Somehow missed your post on my phone.

Also, and this seems odd to me, but I think it's actually the opposite - the 84 is early enough to have the relay for the selector.

Normally seems like they'd add relays rather than taking them away but I haven't really compared the wiring of an 84 vs 86 to know what all else changed.

The bottom one with the tan/grey housing is the fuel pump selector relay.

Don't recall the colors on the other so will have to check on it later. Do you have the towing electric control package?

Edit: Thanks Jim for the EVTM link. Somehow missed your post on my phone.

Also, and this seems odd to me, but I think it's actually the opposite - the 84 is early enough to have the relay for the selector.

Normally seems like they'd add relays rather than taking them away but I haven't really compared the wiring of an 84 vs 86 to know what all else changed.

ok guys thanks....i was hoping that was the the selector relay.....so the other is either the fuel pump relay or fuel pump cut off relay...anyways i dont believe i have the towing from the factory because i was under the rear and saw blue splice connectors on the wiring for the trailer plug...nothing else i have seen would suggest having it....the rear tank pump/sending unit was trashed, all rusted and not working at all. the front pump works but the fuel gauge reads full for a while then after using so many gallons it drops to empty...so just trying to confirm if both sending units were bad or the relays were bad...but i needed to find the correct ones to check/replace...thank you both...stock rear pump for 19 gallon steel tank is on back order maybe to never return so that might even set me back...84 and back trucks sure make life interesting

• 1 month later...

ok guys thanks....i was hoping that was the the selector relay.....so the other is either the fuel pump relay or fuel pump cut off relay...anyways i dont believe i have the towing from the factory because i was under the rear and saw blue splice connectors on the wiring for the trailer plug...nothing else i have seen would suggest having it....the rear tank pump/sending unit was trashed, all rusted and not working at all. the front pump works but the fuel gauge reads full for a while then after using so many gallons it drops to empty...so just trying to confirm if both sending units were bad or the relays were bad...but i needed to find the correct ones to check/replace...thank you both...stock rear pump for 19 gallon steel tank is on back order maybe to never return so that might even set me back...84 and back trucks sure make life interesting

hello

is the fuel pump cutoff switch or low oil pressure switch...whatever its called...next to oil pressure switch.... still available for my 84 f250 with the 460???

part number???

thanks

hello

is the fuel pump cutoff switch or low oil pressure switch...whatever its called...next to oil pressure switch.... still available for my 84 f250 with the 460???

part number???

thanks

It is next to your oil pressure sender.

Let me have a look if I can track down the Motorcraft number.

They are definitely available.

But I cannot say if they are available through Ford any more.

hello

part number???

thanks

Do you mean 'next to oil pressure sending unit'?

Not trying to be picky but just want to ensure we're on the same page. You are looking for the switch that has two R/Y wires in the plug located behind the intake? Likely screwed into a tree along with the pressure sending unit.

Do you mean 'next to oil pressure sending unit'?

Not trying to be picky but just want to ensure we're on the same page. You are looking for the switch that has two R/Y wires in the plug located behind the intake? Likely screwed into a tree along with the pressure sending unit.

I think this is the one: E0AZ 9278-A or Motorcraft SW-1592.

460_Oil_Pressure_Fuel_Pump_Switch.thumb.jpg.60150945ecb5e6736a989ec1f264bf25.jpg

And, by the way, I've added that to these pages:

• Documentation/Electrical/Switches

• Documentation/Fuel Systems/460 Fuel Systems

Thanks Gary. So it's a 3 wire? I'll have to look at mine sometime. Was thinking it just had two wires but can't say I paid that much attention to it when hooking it up.