Bullnose Forums

460 Electrical Fuel Pumps Starter Relay

kramttocs

The fuel pump cut off relay is to the right of the brake booster when looking from the front of the truck. There is a square-ish plastic cap screwed to the firewall that the relay snaps into from underneath. Note that this can hold two relays so it's a good location to add another (or move the trailer relay to) and keep it looking clean.

The inertia switch is inside the cab on the passenger side of the hump. There is a square cutout in the firewall pad. Little square box with a white rectangular push button on it.

thank you...i will check for them

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thank you...i will check for them

I have similar cold starting issues as you mentioned earlier, Scott. Either it fires right up or I have to crank the starter for who knows how long. Especially in winter.

Like if I miss that first shot, it takes a while after.

I have similar cold starting issues as you mentioned earlier, Scott. Either it fires right up or I have to crank the starter for who knows how long. Especially in winter.

Like if I miss that first shot, it takes a while after.

Since the rebuild, the starting cold problem has gone away but I still run into the same situation when hot - miss the first fire and have to crank a bit.

In your 84 is it still mechanical or have you switched to electric pumps? Does yours turn fast when you have to crank it or is it sluggish?

Since the rebuild, the starting cold problem has gone away but I still run into the same situation when hot - miss the first fire and have to crank a bit.

In your 84 is it still mechanical or have you switched to electric pumps? Does yours turn fast when you have to crank it or is it sluggish?

Different era and such, but my 92 Bronco had a cold start problem, ended up being the coil.

It would crank way too much. Once started it started the rest of the day just fine.

The fuel pump cut off relay is to the right of the brake booster when looking from the front of the truck. There is a square-ish plastic cap screwed to the firewall that the relay snaps into from underneath. Note that this can hold two relays so it's a good location to add another (or move the trailer relay to) and keep it looking clean.

The inertia switch is inside the cab on the passenger side of the hump. There is a square cutout in the firewall pad. Little square box with a white rectangular push button on it.

ok..mine has two relays...the second one is paint green...what is it?

Can you add a photo? Some of the relays are green housed. I believe both my trailer and fuel pump relay are.

If you can get a photo that shows the wire colors going to the different relays that would let us identify what they are for.

Can you add a photo? Some of the relays are green housed. I believe both my trailer and fuel pump relay are.

If you can get a photo that shows the wire colors going to the different relays that would let us identify what they are for.

Yep, there are fuel pump relays, tank switching relays and trailer relays.

I'm not sure about an '84 I-6 but I do know the hot fuel handling system used in 460's and some 351HO's

ok...sending pics...my 84 f250 is a 460 with hot fueling...it is a Cali truck originally now in AZ

and i understand one of these is the fuel pump relay....where is the fuel tank selector relay?

thanks

P_20200726_143229_vHDR_Auto.jpg.bb783fe0a08b1a382797bf02a730ec8f.jpg

P_20200726_143242_vHDR_Auto.jpg.ca6d483abeccc2cb8718ffdf3e0e0f23.jpg

ok...sending pics...my 84 f250 is a 460 with hot fueling...it is a Cali truck originally now in AZ

and i understand one of these is the fuel pump relay....where is the fuel tank selector relay?

thanks

Sorry,

I look at your Sig and it says inline 6 to me.