Bullnose Forums

460 Electrical Fuel Pumps Starter Relay

kramttocs

If I understand correctly the 4 post starter relay has two posts that are hot in start - the small one for the fuel pumps and the big one for the starter (let's assume a factory starter).

Why are there 2? Why isn't the fuel pump one just connected to the starter one?

I know I am missing something here.

You have it correct. However, the reason for two connections is that the one to the fuel pump relay is a push-on like the one to pull the starter relay in, the little red/light blue one.

Thanks! That makes sense. Seems like ford could have just put a ring terminal on it though :nabble_smiley_happy:

If converting to a Bosch relay would you just get a 50amp relay, hook the r/lb to the relay trigger and then both the pmgr trigger wire and the fuel pump wire to 87?

I know I said factory starter originally and am now throwing in the pmgr starter.

Thanks! That makes sense. Seems like ford could have just put a ring terminal on it though :nabble_smiley_happy:

If converting to a Bosch relay would you just get a 50amp relay, hook the r/lb to the relay trigger and then both the pmgr trigger wire and the fuel pump wire to 87?

I know I said factory starter originally and am now throwing in the pmgr starter.

Yes, I'd find a heavy duty Bosch relay, but make sure it has the right sized lugs. I know that Jim and maybe Bill are running a stock Bosch relay, but I would like a heavy duty one if possible. I like overkill. :nabble_smiley_evil:

Yes, I'd find a heavy duty Bosch relay, but make sure it has the right sized lugs. I know that Jim and maybe Bill are running a stock Bosch relay, but I would like a heavy duty one if possible. I like overkill. :nabble_smiley_evil:

I agree with overkill.

Was a little surprised though that the powermaster starter instructions showed a need for the trigger wire to handle 50amp intermittent (10 continuous).

The 50 throws a wrench in using the Eaton box if I ever wanted to ditch the fender mount.

I'd be curious in what amps the one Jim or Bill are using.

I agree with overkill.

Was a little surprised though that the powermaster starter instructions showed a need for the trigger wire to handle 50amp intermittent (10 continuous).

The 50 throws a wrench in using the Eaton box if I ever wanted to ditch the fender mount.

I'd be curious in what amps the one Jim or Bill are using.

I have published the test page graph of my DB Electrical starter motor back on FTE.

~40A to pull and 13A to hold.

I'm using the 40A relay that came in my cheap PDC box.

• 1 month later...

I think even a regular 30A could handle it easily.

But the option was there for me.

Three weeks in, and it works every time. 👍

Since I was hooking some of this up yesterday I was going through my disassembly notes/photos.

This blue wire wasn't hooked up on the truck when I got it and this was confirmed by needing to dig out crud from the push connector that goes to the starter relay.

I only drove the truck in winter weather for a couple months before I took it down to the redo. It started great the majority of the time BUT if it didn't start fairly quickly it took quite a bit of cranking though.

I am still learning about the whole hot-fuel setup but would this plug being unhooked cause that because it's not filling the carb while in start? Or is this whole harness somewhat optional with mixed results?

Since I was hooking some of this up yesterday I was going through my disassembly notes/photos.

This blue wire wasn't hooked up on the truck when I got it and this was confirmed by needing to dig out crud from the push connector that goes to the starter relay.

I only drove the truck in winter weather for a couple months before I took it down to the redo. It started great the majority of the time BUT if it didn't start fairly quickly it took quite a bit of cranking though.

I am still learning about the whole hot-fuel setup but would this plug being unhooked cause that because it's not filling the carb while in start? Or is this whole harness somewhat optional with mixed results?

Sorry Scott, what blue wire? :nabble_anim_confused: