Bullnose Forums

Parking brake tightening?

Hey everyone. My rear drums are way out of spec. Parking brake does nothing. Therefore, as I understand, my braking power is almost nonexistent in the rear.

I know this may be hard to explain over the internet but does anyone know which way Id have to turn the star wheel to tighten the drums?

Are you talking about the little adjusting screw between the pads?

Turning it clockwise should tighten the brakes and turning it counterclockwise should loosen the brakes, depending on which way the threaded portion is this will be towards you or away from you. Threads facing left should be away and threads facing right should be towards. Been a long time since I have opened a drum.

Turning it clockwise should tighten the brakes and turning it counterclockwise should loosen the brakes, depending on which way the threaded portion is this will be towards you or away from you. Threads facing left should be away and threads facing right should be towards. Been a long time since I have opened a drum.

The parking brake cable is also adjustable on the outside of the frame.

Sam, the wheel goes down when viewed through the oval hole in the backing plate.

I have a few brake adjusting spoons, but tend to use the 60* head on my shorter Snap-On one.

IMG_20200118_084320.thumb.jpg.18baf16ab5f3e1fae5a9fec7f0dfcd1f.jpg

Why not pull the drums and see what's actually going on?

Tightening the cable isn't going to help the wheel cylinders do their job, and it isn't going to help the parking brake situation either, if it's already beyond that point.

It will only affect the position of the lever arm, and in turn the cam attached to it.

Sam, the wheel goes down when viewed through the oval hole in the backing plate.

I have a few brake adjusting spoons, but tend to use the 60* head on my shorter Snap-On one.

Why not pull the drums and see what's actually going on?

Tightening the cable isn't going to help the wheel cylinders do their job, and it isn't going to help the parking brake situation either, if it's already beyond that point.

It will only affect the position of the lever arm, and in turn the cam attached to it.

Sam, while this addresses the opposite problem -dragging- you may find it helpful in understanding how all the parts work together.

https://www.knowyourparts.com/technical-resources/brakes-and-brake-components/ford-light-truck-rear-drum-installation-problems-severe-brake-drag/

And this:

https://www.knowyourparts.com/technical-resources/brakes-and-brake-components/importance-drum-brake-self-adjusters/

Adjusting the cable will help if it is visibly slack on the drivers side frame tail, and the pedal goes to the floor with almost no resistance.

It doesn't adjust your brakes at all, just the slack in the cable....

Adjusters are right and left.

The little self adjuster that is supposed to work when you apply the brakes while reversing lifts up (when viewed from the outside (wheel and drum off)

This means the star wheel must go down when viewed from the adjuster hole in the backing plate.

Adjusters are right and left.

The little self adjuster that is supposed to work when you apply the brakes while reversing lifts up (when viewed from the outside (wheel and drum off)

This means the star wheel must go down when viewed from the adjuster hole in the backing plate.

- deleted -