Bullnose Forums

New Member Pittsburgh, PA

84flareside

Trying to start documenting my project and starting to decode the original spec. Any idea why there are two exterior colors listed on this sticker and any help on identifying the tape pattern this truck had originally? I've read through the decoding guides on here a couple times and can't seem to follow the tape info.

Your truck was built a month before mine in the same plant.

Two exterior colors means it was a two tone truck. 3L for Dark Blue Metallic, and 3F for Light Medium Blue. I'm not sure how many two tone variations there were for the Flaresides, but one of the guys on here will know.

You actually don't have a tape code. The trans code is "A" and the axle/gears code is "19". The tape code area is blank.

The "CB3" gives you about the only info you're going to get. CB is Blue Cloth and Vinyl, and the 3 is regular cab with Flareside bed.

I'm guessing it looked something like this...grabbed a pic from a quick Google search. I think most two tone Flaresides were like this style.

Most I have seen where like that

20200101_135548.jpg.468fda0c16d5287c0fbfb1b8187da219.jpg

Now I have seen a Google picture where the roof was also painted the second color, in my case white.

Based on the door sticker as far as I know there is no way to know if the roof was done or not.

No I think I found hints that mine may have been painted white but being not 100% sure and it would have been more work to paint it white I went with the red.

I think there was also a post on the color stripes used with the 2 color trucks but let it be known you can no longer get any of the stripes and if you do find them you cant use them as the glue has turned bad and cant get the paper backing off.

You can find some after market stripes that may work, do a Google search, as I was looking to do that but I like how it is right now.

Dave ----

Now I have seen a Google picture where the roof was also painted the second color, in my case white.

Yes, right. Once in a while the Flaresides had the roof colored with the two-tone. I don't know how common they were.

45dd3252cc60224c_74eacf580a8762.jpg.715aee9da5e16e8f8f3e3dd14912b71d.jpg

4025d85fdb7d77a40a49588defa8d169--weird-cars-pickup-trucks.jpg.18ecbe79b0f6ddde00f5b4c02d7bdd47.jpg

5c3c4e78fc1e140dcad11b7000225048.jpg.3db592f2f98c38c15b8b75a2be2a3f4b.jpg

4806467301_e7960472d8_b.jpg.410fdf51dc6756e3b016cd9d4e2c0fa3.jpg

Yes, right. Once in a while the Flaresides had the roof colored with the two-tone. I don't know how common they were.

Thank you Cory for the pictures.

I don't know if I like it on the flare sides or even on a short bed truck, on the long beds I think it looks better on.

Dave ----

Thanks for the pictures, hopefully it'll be in the budget to get it back to the two-tone with the light blue. I agree with the general consensus with that I'll leave the roof line dark blue. I'm super happy I found this forum, initially signed up with one of the other general F150 forums and they didn't seem even remotely as helpful. I've already found a lot of useful information reading through other peoples projects, the well documented projects in this forum have already been more helpful than any other source of information. I'll get Buck's progress up there ASAP. It's really impressive all the information that everyone on this forum has compiled, thanks for all the work all of you guys have put into documenting your projects.

Thanks for the pictures, hopefully it'll be in the budget to get it back to the two-tone with the light blue. I agree with the general consensus with that I'll leave the roof line dark blue. I'm super happy I found this forum, initially signed up with one of the other general F150 forums and they didn't seem even remotely as helpful. I've already found a lot of useful information reading through other peoples projects, the well documented projects in this forum have already been more helpful than any other source of information. I'll get Buck's progress up there ASAP. It's really impressive all the information that everyone on this forum has compiled, thanks for all the work all of you guys have put into documenting your projects.

Glad it is helping so much. We have a really good team here, and it makes it fun.

If you're looking for or are interested in Ford part numbers, factory data and drawings, intricate details and year to year differences...Gary's IS THEE place to be.:nabble_smiley_grin: