Bullnose Forums

New LED Tail Lights

Saw this on Facebook. This guy, Jose Garcia, has a FB page called JG Custom LED Lights, and he's been making them for the Bumps and Dents for some time. Now he's getting into the Bullnose lights. The others have a directional feature much like the Cougars had. Don't know if these will, but I'm going to ask him.

The 80/86 Ford F-SERIES/Bronco led taillights are starting to take form, this is my first working prototype so the end product may change a little but not by much, I still need to figured out a few more things before I have a full working unit, but for now I wanted you guys to see how they will look. I don't have a set price for them but base on the amount of work and leds that it takes to make this specific set up, they will most likely cost somewhere around 300$ for the pair, of course I can make a different variation to keep the cost down so we will see what happens.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2484185211645675/

JG_s_LED_Tail_Lights.thumb.jpg.1256040ff44246718263e0289d619485.jpg

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jose said "Yes I will make a different variation with the sequential style."

And I responded with "I like the cottage industries that are starting up around these trucks and want to make sure that everyone knows about them and supports them. So if you want to join the forum and keep us up to date with your offerings that would be good."

We shall see.....

And I responded with "I like the cottage industries that are starting up around these trucks and want to make sure that everyone knows about them and supports them. So if you want to join the forum and keep us up to date with your offerings that would be good."

We shall see.....

And, by the way, I should also say that in my experience just swapping out the incandescent bulbs in our tail lights with LED doesn't really work. At present I have a new incandescent in one side of Big Blue and an LED in the other. And at night the incandescent is brighter.

I think the reflector was designed for a point source rather than the LED's that are scattered all over. Basically what we discussed re headlights. But Jose's approach should resolve that problem by placing LED's firing directly back, although I wonder how easily they are seen from an angle.

Also, don't miss that he says "I also add a very powerful white led as a back up light to shine up the night."

And, by the way, I should also say that in my experience just swapping out the incandescent bulbs in our tail lights with LED doesn't really work. At present I have a new incandescent in one side of Big Blue and an LED in the other. And at night the incandescent is brighter.

I think the reflector was designed for a point source rather than the LED's that are scattered all over. Basically what we discussed re headlights. But Jose's approach should resolve that problem by placing LED's firing directly back, although I wonder how easily they are seen from an angle.

Also, don't miss that he says "I also add a very powerful white led as a back up light to shine up the night."

Thats great!

Brighter backup lights is on my long mods wishlist. Maybe by the time these are for sale Ill be ready for the project.

Im assuming theyll need relays of some sort.

Thats great!

Brighter backup lights is on my long mods wishlist. Maybe by the time these are for sale Ill be ready for the project.

Im assuming theyll need relays of some sort.

Actually they should pull less current than the existing incandescent bulbs. So shouldn't need relays.

I have LED 1156 and 1157 in my tail lights.

Both seem way bright enough for me.

Retrofit LED's for automotive applications have come a long way in the past few years.

And while I like Jose's taking the initiative,

A) I'm not really interested in lights that look like an 8bit Nintendo game.

B) Cost 12x what I buy TYC tail lamps for on eBay.

Actually they should pull less current than the existing incandescent bulbs. So shouldn't need relays.

In some cases, LED bulbs [used for turn signals] pull so little current that an electronic flasher is needed to control the flash rate. I installed an electronic relay, purchased @ NAPA for ~$13, and it works great for my incandescent bulbs. It flashes at the same rate regardless of idle speed, electrical load or temperature.

In some cases, LED bulbs [used for turn signals] pull so little current that an electronic flasher is needed to control the flash rate. I installed an electronic relay, purchased @ NAPA for ~$13, and it works great for my incandescent bulbs. It flashes at the same rate regardless of idle speed, electrical load or temperature.

They won't sink enough current to heat up the element in an old mechanical flasher.

I've been using a heavy duty electronic flasher for years.

I can set the flash speed using the trim pot inside the unit.

Now, does anyone else just want to rear end some ricer with those damn flashing brake lights? :nabble_smiley_angry:

"I had a seizure officer!"

I may try them on Darth, but I have relays for my trailer lights, so they should pull enough current to make the flasher work. I just finished building a setup for my Chrysler konvertible as I am trying to use a later steering column that is wired for separate stop and turn lights like European or Asian vehicles. It uses 4 relays to spoof the turn signal system into thinking it has separate bulbs.

We shall see.....

Keep an eye on this and keep us updated. 300.00 is a little rich for my blood, but that might change too.