Bullnose Forums

Dual exhaust broken

Hey folks, previous owner welded up dual exhaust pipes on the truck: they run off the engine, drop down parrallel, dual cats, then split out back.

Driver side weld recently seperated completely after the cat. Is this an issue I need to fix immediately?

Luckily the break is clean but all I have is a stick welder and Id probably blow the metal out if I mess with it.

I don't think it is an issue. It'll be loud, but the cat should muffle it some.

My buddy Alex had an '86 with an I-6 and ALL he had was the Cat.

It sounded fine once I welded up some hangers and got a pipe on it to get it out from under the truck so the drone was gone.

I don't know how half a V-8 would sound?

I guess that depends on the mufflers that are installed.

I'd be concerned if the head pipe was gone and the exhaust was pointing at the saddle tank.

My buddy Alex had an '86 with an I-6 and ALL he had was the Cat.

It sounded fine once I welded up some hangers and got a pipe on it to get it out from under the truck so the drone was gone.

I don't know how half a V-8 would sound?

I guess that depends on the mufflers that are installed.

I'd be concerned if the head pipe was gone and the exhaust was pointing at the saddle tank.

My main concern that the unbalanced exhaust is going to mess with the engine.

Then the heat under the truck, especially the tanks as you said. Its a couple feet from the rear tank. The break is right at the cab/bed split.

My main concern that the unbalanced exhaust is going to mess with the engine.

Then the heat under the truck, especially the tanks as you said. Its a couple feet from the rear tank. The break is right at the cab/bed split.

Once it's out of the engine and there's enough pipe to keep the back of the exhaust valve from cold shock you are not "hurting" the engine.

And I wouldn't worry too much about the rear tank (with 4+' and a cross member in front of it)

Just find someone with a mig or tig to fix it when you can.

Once it's out of the engine and there's enough pipe to keep the back of the exhaust valve from cold shock you are not "hurting" the engine.

And I wouldn't worry too much about the rear tank (with 4+' and a cross member in front of it)

Just find someone with a mig or tig to fix it when you can.

Great!

Thanks for helping me out with that. It eases my mind because I have too much maintenance to do already.