Bullnose Forums

F250 Advice

Ray Cecil

Guys, if I wanted to haul a fifth wheel camper, would this f250 do it? I get the feeling I might want to look at f350s for a fifth wheel camper.

My truck has hauled a 38' pintle hitch camper down to Englishtown and back a number of times (and that's on the receiver hitch!)

My truck has hauled a 38' pintle hitch camper down to Englishtown and back a number of times (and that's on the receiver hitch!)

Big Blue was used to tow a 5th wheel camper at one point in time. It still has part of the hitch in the bed. Don’t know how well it did, but it tows a bumper-pull trailer fine, so should have done well on the 5th wheel.

Big Blue was used to tow a 5th wheel camper at one point in time. It still has part of the hitch in the bed. Don’t know how well it did, but it tows a bumper-pull trailer fine, so should have done well on the 5th wheel.

Thanks for the advice guys.

As some of you know, Ive announced we are planning to move in about 1.5 years. So, trying to make some strategic moves now. The plan is a rough draft, but we are looking at being able to pay cash for 35-40 acres, cash for a 30' or so used fifth wheel camper. We are going to build our dream home, in the country, old school style. Live in a camper while building. So, I may or may now get this truck. I wont need it for another 1.5 years. And I have two other lighter trucks I can use for the majority of what I haul.

I hope to find a place with an existing pole barn to park a camper in to keep it dry, and out of the sun in summer.

I will buy a camper close to wherever we buy land. I may hire the previous owner to deliver it, thus eliminating the need for an F250. We dont plan to travel in it. So why buy a truck for one trip to the property, right?

My wife wants to do this. So do I. It will be difficult. No risk, no reward. No guts, no glory.

As some of you know, Ive announced we are planning to move in about 1.5 years. So, trying to make some strategic moves now. The plan is a rough draft, but we are looking at being able to pay cash for 35-40 acres, cash for a 30' or so used fifth wheel camper. We are going to build our dream home, in the country, old school style. Live in a camper while building. So, I may or may now get this truck. I wont need it for another 1.5 years. And I have two other lighter trucks I can use for the majority of what I haul.

I hope to find a place with an existing pole barn to park a camper in to keep it dry, and out of the sun in summer.

I will buy a camper close to wherever we buy land. I may hire the previous owner to deliver it, thus eliminating the need for an F250. We dont plan to travel in it. So why buy a truck for one trip to the property, right?

My wife wants to do this. So do I. It will be difficult. No risk, no reward. No guts, no glory.

How do you intend to get your stuff to your new location?

A friend of mine bought a horse trailer, packed it full, and sold it for *more* money on the other end. (Wyoming)

Maybe Gary still has the 5th wheel and you two can work a deal?

Thats great! Id like to buy some land if I can get the cash together some day. Theres a young couple thats doing the same thing near me. 2 jeep grand cherokees, an old chevy, and a camper trailer.

They had a guy bring their camper in but our roads are horrific.

For what its worth my f250 has holes in the bed from where someone obviously had a fifth wheel.

Ray, I bought Darth to tow a 30' 5th wheel with a slide-out living/dining area. The previous owner had bought him for the same purpose. Darth originally belonged to Delmar Stables in Suffolk VA and was ordered new to tow horse trailers. I agree with Gary on towing a 5th wheel any distance, dually is the way to go. If you go with a tow behind (you're only going to do it once unless you sell it later and deliver) a good HD F250 of F350 will do it with no real problems.

Towing with a 4WD is not as easy as towing with a 2WD, maneuverability as far as turning radius suffers due to the angular limits imposed by the 4WD axle U-joints (this is why FWDs use multi-ball CV joints). To give you a specific example, BIL bought a nice 1994 F250 4WD with the 7.3 IDI turbo-Diesel, it was a super cab, 155" wheelbase, Darth is a crew cab DRW, 168" wheelbase. We went to dinner from a campground in PA, and took Darth as the full back seat is much more comfortable than the seatlet in the super cab. We got to the end of the row he was parked in, I drove out far enough that the rear wheels would clear, cranked the steering to full right lock and turned. BIL says "how'd youse do that, I can't make that without backing up some and this truck is even longer". Crew cabs have a different steering setup allowing the inside front wheel to go damn near 90° to the frame.

Ray, I bought Darth to tow a 30' 5th wheel with a slide-out living/dining area. The previous owner had bought him for the same purpose. Darth originally belonged to Delmar Stables in Suffolk VA and was ordered new to tow horse trailers. I agree with Gary on towing a 5th wheel any distance, dually is the way to go. If you go with a tow behind (you're only going to do it once unless you sell it later and deliver) a good HD F250 of F350 will do it with no real problems.

Towing with a 4WD is not as easy as towing with a 2WD, maneuverability as far as turning radius suffers due to the angular limits imposed by the 4WD axle U-joints (this is why FWDs use multi-ball CV joints). To give you a specific example, BIL bought a nice 1994 F250 4WD with the 7.3 IDI turbo-Diesel, it was a super cab, 155" wheelbase, Darth is a crew cab DRW, 168" wheelbase. We went to dinner from a campground in PA, and took Darth as the full back seat is much more comfortable than the seatlet in the super cab. We got to the end of the row he was parked in, I drove out far enough that the rear wheels would clear, cranked the steering to full right lock and turned. BIL says "how'd youse do that, I can't make that without backing up some and this truck is even longer". Crew cabs have a different steering setup allowing the inside front wheel to go damn near 90° to the frame.

Yeah, we have really thought a lot about this. I think the most economical option would be to have a camper delivered, or rent a truck to pull it to the property.

Ive got a lot of stuff and only 1.5 years to get rid of things, and prepare for a move. I will be buying a tractor when we get to where we are going. So that is another big purchase.

Yeah, we have really thought a lot about this. I think the most economical option would be to have a camper delivered, or rent a truck to pull it to the property.

Ive got a lot of stuff and only 1.5 years to get rid of things, and prepare for a move. I will be buying a tractor when we get to where we are going. So that is another big purchase.

Ray if you end up in northeast AR or southern MO. I have friends that can get your camper to wherever you land. Their is also a lot of camper sales around here. I might even have my tow rig going by then. But it has a lot of work left to do to it. Also a lot of house honey do's.

Be more than happy to have you as a neighbor. As a reminder I live close to Springfield, MO.

Ray if you end up in northeast AR or southern MO. I have friends that can get your camper to wherever you land. Their is also a lot of camper sales around here. I might even have my tow rig going by then. But it has a lot of work left to do to it. Also a lot of house honey do's.

Be more than happy to have you as a neighbor. As a reminder I live close to Springfield, MO.

^^^ THIS is what I Love about this forum! :nabble_anim_handshake: