Bullnose Forums

USB Charging Port Questions

Right.

But I'm not jamming a bunch of pocket lint into my port and I don't have to insert or remove a cable. (Nor do I have to consider that I need the RIGHT cable)

Click and go.

Stand on the desk.

Tray bedside and by the door (with the keys and such)

All valid points.

Don't get me wrong I love me a wireless charger, I have one on my night stand and here at work.

IMG_20200117_175005.jpg.a7e9c52a9535e802faf9a4cbbcedc1e4.jpg

I just haven't found one I like in the car. I need a magnetic mount with wireless charging and I would be one happy camper

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All valid points.

Don't get me wrong I love me a wireless charger, I have one on my night stand and here at work.

I just haven't found one I like in the car. I need a magnetic mount with wireless charging and I would be one happy camper

So, how do you have a ferrous metal on the back of your phone that doesn't block the frequency coupling required for wireless charging?

(I have the same charger, btw)

I find that strong magnets mess with the responsiveness of my screen.

• 10 months later...

So, how do you have a ferrous metal on the back of your phone that doesn't block the frequency coupling required for wireless charging?

(I have the same charger, btw)

I find that strong magnets mess with the responsiveness of my screen.

I'm going to try to revive this thread as I have a few questions and some info.

As anyone who is silly enough to be following along on Big Blue's Transformation will know, I'm doing all sorts of things to provide charging capability for mobile devices. And that includes having copious amounts of AC available as well as several charging ports behind the seat.

But these questions and info have to do with the always-hot port in the ash tray. And as a lead-in, yesterday I discovered that in the month Big Blue has been sitting in the shop being transformed the battery got pulled down quite a bit. At first I assumed that the fact that I'd had the doors open for ~8 hours/day with the dome and courtesy lights on must have done it, but then I realized that the USB charger has an LED in it and it had been on 24x7. So, I've come to the conclusion that whatever I put in the ash tray's spot cannot have an LED.

With that I started going back through this thread awa recent publications on the topic of charging standards. One of the good reads I found was this Digital Trends page. And it gives this table of USB charging standards:

USB_Charging_Standards.thumb.jpg.c21c8d6a0b0ea84940290e10fd2c19d2.jpg

But, Qualcomm produces some of the most widely used charging circuits, so their standards are important as well:

Qualcom_Charging_Standards.thumb.jpg.5269567e2c67faa7fc6246cf6e162a56.jpg

Given that, it seemed to me that the best approach would be to go with a DC power port, which would let me upgrade chargers as the technology continues to evolve, but make sure that charger doesn't have an LED. And right now the best appears to be a charger with both a USB-A (USB 1-3) port and a USB-C (USB 3.1) port. Danny G has one and it doesn't appear to have an LED, but in reading through this thread I've not found what the brand/model is so I'll email him and ask him to chime in one this thread. But beyond that, all of the A/C chargers I've found have LEDs.

Further, I've found that there are USB-C charging cords that will charge this Surface Pro tablet. However, they all say that the charger has to have at least a 45w rating, and all of the cigar lighter plug-in chargers I've found are well shy of that rating. But I wonder how much of that is due to the lack of heat transfer capabilities the plug-in chargers have through their small terminals. Maybe there's a metal charger that would fit in a 1 1/8" cigar lighter hole in a metal ash tray that could handle higher power?

So, I'm looking for input. Please! Who knows of a plug-in USB-A/C charger w/o an LED? How about a high-power USB-C charger?

I'm going to try to revive this thread as I have a few questions and some info.

As anyone who is silly enough to be following along on Big Blue's Transformation will know, I'm doing all sorts of things to provide charging capability for mobile devices. And that includes having copious amounts of AC available as well as several charging ports behind the seat.

But these questions and info have to do with the always-hot port in the ash tray. And as a lead-in, yesterday I discovered that in the month Big Blue has been sitting in the shop being transformed the battery got pulled down quite a bit. At first I assumed that the fact that I'd had the doors open for ~8 hours/day with the dome and courtesy lights on must have done it, but then I realized that the USB charger has an LED in it and it had been on 24x7. So, I've come to the conclusion that whatever I put in the ash tray's spot cannot have an LED.

With that I started going back through this thread awa recent publications on the topic of charging standards. One of the good reads I found was this Digital Trends page. And it gives this table of USB charging standards:

But, Qualcomm produces some of the most widely used charging circuits, so their standards are important as well:

Given that, it seemed to me that the best approach would be to go with a DC power port, which would let me upgrade chargers as the technology continues to evolve, but make sure that charger doesn't have an LED. And right now the best appears to be a charger with both a USB-A (USB 1-3) port and a USB-C (USB 3.1) port. Danny G has one and it doesn't appear to have an LED, but in reading through this thread I've not found what the brand/model is so I'll email him and ask him to chime in one this thread. But beyond that, all of the A/C chargers I've found have LEDs.

Further, I've found that there are USB-C charging cords that will charge this Surface Pro tablet. However, they all say that the charger has to have at least a 45w rating, and all of the cigar lighter plug-in chargers I've found are well shy of that rating. But I wonder how much of that is due to the lack of heat transfer capabilities the plug-in chargers have through their small terminals. Maybe there's a metal charger that would fit in a 1 1/8" cigar lighter hole in a metal ash tray that could handle higher power?

So, I'm looking for input. Please! Who knows of a plug-in USB-A/C charger w/o an LED? How about a high-power USB-C charger?

This one doesn't appear to have an led or light:

Power_Outlet_1.jpg.c35534231d7c70fc45e690e182a3eea4.jpg

Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/5-Port-Charging-Station-Charger-Samsung/dp/B00UN1LM7Q/ref=psdc_2230642011_t3_B08GQQFJLF

Mark,

The description and the illustration seem to differ.

And I don't see it as capable of 45W output.

You'd need quickcharge 5.0 at this point to output that much.

I will say that I love Aukey chargers!

And appreciate their lack of an indicator LED.

I'm still not convinced that Gary's charger caused his battery to go flat.

Mark,

The description and the illustration seem to differ.

And I don't see it as capable of 45W output.

You'd need quickcharge 5.0 at this point to output that much.

I will say that I love Aukey chargers!

And appreciate their lack of an indicator LED.

I'm still not convinced that Gary's charger caused his battery to go flat.

So how much power does a cigar lighter consume to get glowing hot in 10 seconds?

I doubt it is a limitation of the socket, and a charger would not be heating up nearly as much as a strictly resistive load.

Most of the power would be pushed to the battery of whatever is charging.

So how much power does a cigar lighter consume to get glowing hot in 10 seconds?

I doubt it is a limitation of the socket, and a charger would not be heating up nearly as much as a strictly resistive load.

Most of the power would be pushed to the battery of whatever is charging.

Mark - I like that charger! And while I agree with Jim that it won't charge the tablet, it does have the -C port that can be used to quickly charge iPhones, or anything else for that matter.

Jim - I don't know what pulled the battery down, but it wasn't flat. It still started the engine fine, just didn't spin it as fast as I'm used to it spinning. And that charger was probably on the whole time. But the dome and courtesy lights were on quite a bit as well, as was the underhood light at times.

As for the wattage thing with the charger, I don't know how they are doing it but something is controlling the voltage, and taking it up to 20v in some cases. So I'm assuming whatever that is has some losses to it and that means it'll get warm. And the rounded points on the chargers don't offer much surface area for transferring heat. That's why I was wondering if a charger that mounts in the ash tray might use the metal as a heat sink.

Mark - I like that charger! And while I agree with Jim that it won't charge the tablet, it does have the -C port that can be used to quickly charge iPhones, or anything else for that matter.

Jim - I don't know what pulled the battery down, but it wasn't flat. It still started the engine fine, just didn't spin it as fast as I'm used to it spinning. And that charger was probably on the whole time. But the dome and courtesy lights were on quite a bit as well, as was the underhood light at times.

As for the wattage thing with the charger, I don't know how they are doing it but something is controlling the voltage, and taking it up to 20v in some cases. So I'm assuming whatever that is has some losses to it and that means it'll get warm. And the rounded points on the chargers don't offer much surface area for transferring heat. That's why I was wondering if a charger that mounts in the ash tray might use the metal as a heat sink.

I have the two port version of that charger.

It works well for me, but I don't have the latest adaptive charging type of device.

This is strange. Amazon clearly says that is an Aukey CC-Y16. But at the Aukey site they don't show that charger.

EDIT: Oops, wasn't done. Anyway, is it an old one? Is it a knock-off?

I just went to the Aukey site and tried to ask them the question below through their only method shown of contacting them - Submit A Support Question:

I was thinking of buying the CC-Y16 on Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/5-Port-Charging-Station-Charger-Samsung/dp/B00UN1LM7Q/ref=psdc_2230642011_t3_B08GQQFJLF) but went to your site and couldn't find that product. Is it yours? Is it an old version? Counterfeit?

And I have several other questions I'd like to ask someone about, if we could talk.

By the way, that Amazon order number has nothing to do with you, but I can't send this w/o an order # so I used one of the many we've placed in the last several weeks.

Thanks,

Gary

It wouldn't go w/o an Amazon order number, so used another one of ours. It finally took it and then popped up a message that said "Network is not stable, please contact support@aukey.com". So I sent them an email at that address.

But I'm getting suspicious of Amazon. Janey was looking at a board game for the grandkids that normally runs ~$50 and found it on Amazon for $22. She asked me about it and I read several of the comments, many of which said they'd gotten counterfeit games, as confirmed by the manufacturer. Amazon said they were verified purchases, and yet hadn't responded to the claims.

Am I paranoid? :nabble_smiley_oh: