Bullnose Forums

USB Charging Port Questions

Interesting! Didn't know there is a QC4. Did some searching and found this at AnandTech:

Qualcomm Announces Quick Charge 4 Supports USB Type-C Power Delivery: This latest generation brings a number of improvements, but perhaps the most remarkable change is that Quick Charge 4 is now compatible with the USB Type-C and USB Power Delivery (USB-PD) specifications set by the USB-IF standards body.

That's good to know. However, I'd really like to have an integrated charging port rather than one that plugs into a cigar socket. One reason is that I am hoping to close up the "ash tray" as Dave suggested. But we shall see.

My thinking on the latter is to make a bracket as shown by the black lines, below. Cut the ash tray cover along the red line and then pivot it with arms that come off the bracket. That should leave enough room for a switch, a USB port, and an AC outlet.

USB standards are backwards compatible.

If you have a USB 3.0 charger and a 2.0 device there's no problem.

You should ask Chris, as he incorporated a lot of this in his SVO console.

There's plenty of wattage available at the cigarette lighter.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

USB standards are backwards compatible.

If you have a USB 3.0 charger and a 2.0 device there's no problem.

You should ask Chris, as he incorporated a lot of this in his SVO console.

There's plenty of wattage available at the cigarette lighter.

Yes, they are backwards compatible. But I'm wanting to get up to the latest standards when I install it so it'll last for a while. And USB-C/QC4.0 appears to be the latest.

As for Chris, if I remember correctly he had a large hydra-headed USB charger plugged into the cigar lighter on his SVO the time he brought it down here for the show, which was several years ago and the standards have moved on since then.

The beauty of the latest standard is that the device negotiates the needed current with the charger. And since iOS now has better charging algorithms than previously it'll tailor the charge to its needs. No sense going with old tech when the prices are pretty much the same for the new stuff.

Yes, they are backwards compatible. But I'm wanting to get up to the latest standards when I install it so it'll last for a while. And USB-C/QC4.0 appears to be the latest.

As for Chris, if I remember correctly he had a large hydra-headed USB charger plugged into the cigar lighter on his SVO the time he brought it down here for the show, which was several years ago and the standards have moved on since then.

The beauty of the latest standard is that the device negotiates the needed current with the charger. And since iOS now has better charging algorithms than previously it'll tailor the charge to its needs. No sense going with old tech when the prices are pretty much the same for the new stuff.

Charging has always been negotiated, by either pulling one pin high, or varying resistance across two pins.... whatever.

It's the newer cables and pins that can handle more current.

Perhaps you ought to wait until you're underway. :nabble_smiley_whistling:

Standards change every generation.

What did CES introduce this year? :nabble_anim_confused:

Standards that AREN'T going to change are: the American 3-pin 120V AC receptacle and the 12V cigarette lighter/power port socket.

Charging has always been negotiated, by either pulling one pin high, or varying resistance across two pins.... whatever.

It's the newer cables and pins that can handle more current.

Perhaps you ought to wait until you're underway. :nabble_smiley_whistling:

Standards change every generation.

What did CES introduce this year? :nabble_anim_confused:

Standards that AREN'T going to change are: the American 3-pin 120V AC receptacle and the 12V cigarette lighter/power port socket.

If you are suggesting that several new charging standards will come out before I get to this, then I hope you are wrong. (Although experience teaches otherwise. :nabble_smiley_blush:)

But this project will be after Big Blue is back on the road as, other than running wiring under the carpet to the inverter, it can all be done after the fact. So maybe I should run the wiring under the carpet to start with.

Anyway, I've learned quite a bit from this exercise. I'd not heard of QC3.0/4.0 or Power Delivery, nor that the latter is part of USB-C. And I certainly didn't know that newer cables are required.

If you are suggesting that several new charging standards will come out before I get to this, then I hope you are wrong. (Although experience teaches otherwise. :nabble_smiley_blush:)

But this project will be after Big Blue is back on the road as, other than running wiring under the carpet to the inverter, it can all be done after the fact. So maybe I should run the wiring under the carpet to start with.

Anyway, I've learned quite a bit from this exercise. I'd not heard of QC3.0/4.0 or Power Delivery, nor that the latter is part of USB-C. And I certainly didn't know that newer cables are required.

Quick Charge is Qualcomm's proprietary standard.

Samsung has Adaptive Fast Charging, and there are others.

The point is that the port needs to be up to date and the cable as well.

Yes, but QC 4.0 incorporates Power Delivery (USB-PD). So a QC 4.0 port should play nicely and charge rapidly a PD-enabled device like an iPhone X. But I'm still confused as to what cable to use.

Let me say it differently. This charger says it is both QC 4.0 and Power Delivery Type-C. So, do you use a standard USB cable to charge an iPhone or a USB-C cable?

Here's what the advert says:

• 【USB TYPE C OUTPUT】30W USB TYPE C Power Delivery usb car charger enable fast for more powerful devices.For Apple iPad Pro,MacBook,MacBook Pro,MacBook Air, Nintendo Switch, Samsung Galaxy Note 9/8/S9/S9 Plus/S8/S8 Plus Nintendo Switch and more at full 30W speed. The USB-C comes with USB 3.0 Power Delivery and QC 4+, so you can enjoy 50% faster charge speeds for compatible devices.

• 【Power Delivery (PD)】Charging is basically a fast charging protocol which is making use of the great functionality and universality.Type C port also supports Qualcomm Quick Charge QC4+ which is fast charging for iPhone car charger. Get a convenient universal adapter that's perfect for your USB-A and USB-C devices. Whether you're recharging your tablet or topping off your smartphone for the day ahead, the Fast Charge Dual Output Car Adapter's lets your device reaches full capacity soon.

• 【USB-A OUTPUT】USB Type A Qualcomm Quick charge QC3.0 can charge for iPhone 11 / 11 Pro / 11 Pro Max / XS MAX /XS / XR/ X / 8 Plus / 8, iPad Pro, Google Pixel 3 / XL / 3a, Samsung Galaxy smart phones, tablets and more USB powered devices.

• 【ALL METAL MATERIAL】The advanced full aluminum alloy body with scratch resistant technology keeps it sturdy and let the usb c car charger always look like new. This car charger has a full metal body made of zinc-aluminum alloy that is resistant to scratches. The charger fits most car cigarette lighters.

• 【COMPACT TRAVEL CHARGER】The usb c car charger will not block anything near the cigarette lighter socket unlike a larger cell phone charger; Edge ridge design provides easy insertion and removal from vehicle lighter socket. Now, you can get small, affordable car chargers with powerful USB-C ports built right in, no cooling fans required. The inbuilt high-class circuitry offers protection against short circuit, high and low voltages, overcharging and high temperature.

Yes, but QC 4.0 incorporates Power Delivery (USB-PD). So a QC 4.0 port should play nicely and charge rapidly a PD-enabled device like an iPhone X. But I'm still confused as to what cable to use.

Let me say it differently. This charger says it is both QC 4.0 and Power Delivery Type-C. So, do you use a standard USB cable to charge an iPhone or a USB-C cable?

Here's what the advert says:

• 【USB TYPE C OUTPUT】30W USB TYPE C Power Delivery usb car charger enable fast for more powerful devices.For Apple iPad Pro,MacBook,MacBook Pro,MacBook Air, Nintendo Switch, Samsung Galaxy Note 9/8/S9/S9 Plus/S8/S8 Plus Nintendo Switch and more at full 30W speed. The USB-C comes with USB 3.0 Power Delivery and QC 4+, so you can enjoy 50% faster charge speeds for compatible devices.

• 【Power Delivery (PD)】Charging is basically a fast charging protocol which is making use of the great functionality and universality.Type C port also supports Qualcomm Quick Charge QC4+ which is fast charging for iPhone car charger. Get a convenient universal adapter that's perfect for your USB-A and USB-C devices. Whether you're recharging your tablet or topping off your smartphone for the day ahead, the Fast Charge Dual Output Car Adapter's lets your device reaches full capacity soon.

• 【USB-A OUTPUT】USB Type A Qualcomm Quick charge QC3.0 can charge for iPhone 11 / 11 Pro / 11 Pro Max / XS MAX /XS / XR/ X / 8 Plus / 8, iPad Pro, Google Pixel 3 / XL / 3a, Samsung Galaxy smart phones, tablets and more USB powered devices.

• 【ALL METAL MATERIAL】The advanced full aluminum alloy body with scratch resistant technology keeps it sturdy and let the usb c car charger always look like new. This car charger has a full metal body made of zinc-aluminum alloy that is resistant to scratches. The charger fits most car cigarette lighters.

• 【COMPACT TRAVEL CHARGER】The usb c car charger will not block anything near the cigarette lighter socket unlike a larger cell phone charger; Edge ridge design provides easy insertion and removal from vehicle lighter socket. Now, you can get small, affordable car chargers with powerful USB-C ports built right in, no cooling fans required. The inbuilt high-class circuitry offers protection against short circuit, high and low voltages, overcharging and high temperature.

You need a USB-C port and a type C cable.

An adapter to a USB-A port or an A or B cable is not capable of delivering 30W.

Type-C is probably the best way to future proof yourself as well. It is an excellent evolution of the USB connection.

That's the conclusion I've come to as well.

So, if anybody spots a nice USB-A & USB-C charging port that goes in a cigar lighter hole, I'm interested. (Yes, I could put a nice 12v power port in and plug a charger into that, but I'd like to integrate it better than that.) And I'm thinking that I'll have a small switch running a Bosch relay to provide power to the charging port, so it won't have to have a switch nor a volt meter in it.