Bullnose Forums

Oil Rec

That's a loaded question. And it is an area for caution. If there's a lot of sludge in the engine an aggressive, high-detergent oil might strip it out and clog the oil pickup, starving the engine for oil, which could cause damage.

I think the best approach would be to pull a valve cover and ascertain the level of sludge in it and on the head. If you don't have a lot then go for an oil that will clean things up quickly. But if you do have a lot of sludge then you need to proceed with caution. And one approach would be to use fresh oil that will clean, but don't go for a drive so if the oil pressure starts dropping you can shut the engine off quickly.

But in any case, I would pull the plugs and lube the cylinders with oil and turn the engine over gently by hand with a wrench on the crank bolt. Then, after re-installing the plugs, I'd pull the distributor and spin the oil pump until I got pressure on the gauge. That will ensure oil has gotten to all of the bearings.

That's a loaded question. And it is an area for caution. If there's a lot of sludge in the engine an aggressive, high-detergent oil might strip it out and clog the oil pickup, starving the engine for oil, which could cause damage.

I think the best approach would be to pull a valve cover and ascertain the level of sludge in it and on the head. If you don't have a lot then go for an oil that will clean things up quickly. But if you do have a lot of sludge then you need to proceed with caution. And one approach would be to use fresh oil that will clean, but don't go for a drive so if the oil pressure starts dropping you can shut the engine off quickly.

But in any case, I would pull the plugs and lube the cylinders with oil and turn the engine over gently by hand with a wrench on the crank bolt. Then, after re-installing the plugs, I'd pull the distributor and spin the oil pump until I got pressure on the gauge. That will ensure oil has gotten to all of the bearings.

Do you know why the truck was parked 12 years ago?

Do you even know if the motor runs and if so hitting on all 8 holes?

What does the oil look like that is in it now?

Me and not knowing all that information why spend the money on oil & filter till you hear it run?

Make sure the oil level is up, see if the motor turns over by hand and not stuck. Little oil in the plug holes, fresh gas down carb and the pump pulling fresh gas from a can on the fender and see if it will start & run. You can run it for a min or 2 with no coolant just to make sure the motor does run with no noise, etc.

Once you know that and maybe coolant so you can get the motor up to temp before changing the oil & filter. If the motor does not run good you can find out why and you not spent money on oil & filter you may be dumping down the drain when you pull it for a rebuild or other motor.

I am a little cheap and why I do it that way.

Dave ----

Do you know why the truck was parked 12 years ago?

Do you even know if the motor runs and if so hitting on all 8 holes?

What does the oil look like that is in it now?

Me and not knowing all that information why spend the money on oil & filter till you hear it run?

Make sure the oil level is up, see if the motor turns over by hand and not stuck. Little oil in the plug holes, fresh gas down carb and the pump pulling fresh gas from a can on the fender and see if it will start & run. You can run it for a min or 2 with no coolant just to make sure the motor does run with no noise, etc.

Once you know that and maybe coolant so you can get the motor up to temp before changing the oil & filter. If the motor does not run good you can find out why and you not spent money on oil & filter you may be dumping down the drain when you pull it for a rebuild or other motor.

I am a little cheap and why I do it that way.

Dave ----

Trucked was just parked and stopped using it. I have pulled plugs and turned motor by hand. Oil looks really good and at good level. I am prepping to run for a minute or so but thought I should change oil and filter before but sounds like I should leave it alone now. Where do I disconnect fuel line to and “connect” to gas can? A major problem I have is that all 4 tires have dry rotted and sitting on rims so I have no room to access under truck . I am also trying to figure out where the fuel enters carb and where filter is located. I don’t have the truck at my house so I can’t just look whenever but it’s not far away.

Why is it necessary to run without coolant? Radiator is full and looks green.

Thanks

Jeremy

I am also trying to figure out where the fuel enters carb and where filter is located.

I'm not familiar with the 255 V8, but assuming that it the same as a 302, the mechanical fuel pump bolts to the driver's side of the timing cover...just below/behind the power steering pump. There should be a short piece of rubber hose on the inlet side of the pump between the pump and the steel line on the frame rail. This is where you could connect your gas jug. Pick up some 5/16" fuel hose and you can run it from the pump to a gas jug.

Look at my engine below and you can see the fuel pump just in front of the oil filter. I have a piece of hose on the inlet with a bolt stuck in the end of it. If you look just a few inches over, you can see a little piece of rubber hose on the end of the steel line on the frame (I believe it also had a bolt in it).

IMG_4618.jpg.19245647c162b8e179bd64f349fb3252.jpg

If it's all still original, there should be a steel fuel line that goes from the fuel pump to the carb, and the fuel filter will be screwed into the carb (and the fuel line screws into the filter). See picture below...the male threads screw into the carburetor.

GF487_Primary__ra_p.jpg.8b0115d2ecff4c911f3525fd7b9178a4.jpg

I am also trying to figure out where the fuel enters carb and where filter is located.

I'm not familiar with the 255 V8, but assuming that it the same as a 302, the mechanical fuel pump bolts to the driver's side of the timing cover...just below/behind the power steering pump. There should be a short piece of rubber hose on the inlet side of the pump between the pump and the steel line on the frame rail. This is where you could connect your gas jug. Pick up some 5/16" fuel hose and you can run it from the pump to a gas jug.

Look at my engine below and you can see the fuel pump just in front of the oil filter. I have a piece of hose on the inlet with a bolt stuck in the end of it. If you look just a few inches over, you can see a little piece of rubber hose on the end of the steel line on the frame (I believe it also had a bolt in it).

If it's all still original, there should be a steel fuel line that goes from the fuel pump to the carb, and the fuel filter will be screwed into the carb (and the fuel line screws into the filter). See picture below...the male threads screw into the carburetor.

Make sure you use a zinc additive, modern oils have less of it and will cause lubrication issues with your camshaft!

Trucked was just parked and stopped using it. I have pulled plugs and turned motor by hand. Oil looks really good and at good level. I am prepping to run for a minute or so but thought I should change oil and filter before but sounds like I should leave it alone now. Where do I disconnect fuel line to and “connect” to gas can? A major problem I have is that all 4 tires have dry rotted and sitting on rims so I have no room to access under truck . I am also trying to figure out where the fuel enters carb and where filter is located. I don’t have the truck at my house so I can’t just look whenever but it’s not far away.

Why is it necessary to run without coolant? Radiator is full and looks green.

Thanks

Jeremy

If it has coolant in then great but some of the cars or trucks you come across that have been sitting for a bit you want to put as little dollars into it to hear it run before sinking a lot of money into it.

That is why I said you don't need coolant just to hear it run to know all is good.

Same with the oil, if it has good level and looks somewhat good then use it to hear it run.

If you have coolant in it you can run it as long as you want, you have gas and it don't over heat or have an issue running.

Good luck

Dave ----

Thanks for the photo that helps a lot, however makes me envious seeing how good that engine looks. I get grease on me if I look at my truck...but I’ll get there one day.

Jeremy