Bullnose Forums

Other Projects - Car and Non Car Related

I like the tray on that engine stand.

I agree, although I think there should be an easier way to remove it than screws, for draining fluids.

My favorite engine. I really like under dogs. Everyone thinks the 460 is the way to go, but the 400 has a slightly longer stroke and plenty of breathing capacity in the heads.

Hope you'll document it, Angelo.

He's giving me the old 400, so I may do something with it. He's also done plenty of motors before, and 460s simply won't fit in this truck due to the steering box location, so he decided to hop up the 400. TMeyer pistons, 9.3:1 compression, totally roller cam converted (I can't remember the specs, something like 274 adv duration, .490 lift?) Trick Flow 195cc heads. Should make 400hp around 4200rpm and over 500tq at 2000rpm with the tq curve being flat from 1600 on.

I agree, although I think there should be an easier way to remove it than screws, for draining fluids.

My favorite engine. I really like under dogs. Everyone thinks the 460 is the way to go, but the 400 has a slightly longer stroke and plenty of breathing capacity in the heads.

He's giving me the old 400, so I may do something with it. He's also done plenty of motors before, and 460s simply won't fit in this truck due to the steering box location, so he decided to hop up the 400. TMeyer pistons, 9.3:1 compression, totally roller cam converted (I can't remember the specs, something like 274 adv duration, .490 lift?) Trick Flow 195cc heads. Should make 400hp around 4200rpm and over 500tq at 2000rpm with the tq curve being flat from 1600 on.

Very similar to Dad's engine. Tim's pistons but 10.25 CR, Trick Flow heads, Tim's full roller cam, roller lifters, etc. Dyno pulls shown here: Documentation/Picture Gallery/Dad's Truck/Engine.

Very similar to Dad's engine. Tim's pistons but 10.25 CR, Trick Flow heads, Tim's full roller cam, roller lifters, etc. Dyno pulls shown here: Documentation/Picture Gallery/Dad's Truck/Engine.

Yeah they had a few to pick from, I believe he has the hypereutectic offerings from Tim. I'll have to check it out, I know he wanted to go pretty mild. Truck could barely pull his race car trailer up a grade! 175hp doesn't work well in a heavy truck like that.

Just put a piece of pig mat on there and set a drain pan on top.

At least the pan won't fall off if it's sitting in the tray.

Just put a piece of pig mat on there and set a drain pan on top.

At least the pan won't fall off if it's sitting in the tray.

Yeah, not sure why that even escaped my mind. Definitely will be doing that.

Curious as to how well this engine is going to run. The cam is fairly tame.

Yeah, not sure why that even escaped my mind. Definitely will be doing that.

Curious as to how well this engine is going to run. The cam is fairly tame.

Snapchat-533771051.thumb.jpg.d1b07a67ae9e24288df09c4ad3bd705f.jpg

Getting ready to sandblast some stuff tomorrow. Does anyone know what seal goes in the timing cover and how to replace it?

Getting ready to sandblast some stuff tomorrow. Does anyone know what seal goes in the timing cover and how to replace it?

Angelo - This is on the 351M, right? Then the seal is D0AZ 6700-A SEAL (CYLINDER FRONT COVER OIL). I get that from our page Documentation/Engines/351M & 400.

I just looked in the Illustrations tab on that page and found the front seal to be "6700". Then I went to the Part Numbers tab, opened it in a new tab, and used the search function to find "6700".

To remove it I use a socket just a bit bigger to press it into, and a socket that fits in to press with.

Angelo - This is on the 351M, right? Then the seal is D0AZ 6700-A SEAL (CYLINDER FRONT COVER OIL). I get that from our page Documentation/Engines/351M & 400.

I just looked in the Illustrations tab on that page and found the front seal to be "6700". Then I went to the Part Numbers tab, opened it in a new tab, and used the search function to find "6700".

To remove it I use a socket just a bit bigger to press it into, and a socket that fits in to press with.

Yes sir sure is. I'm going to have to check the crank pulley too, I have neve seen one with 4 grooves before.

Yes sir sure is. I'm going to have to check the crank pulley too, I have neve seen one with 4 grooves before.

Well, you need to go look at the Crankshaft Tab on our page at Documentation/Engines/Pulleys. A four-sheave pulley is shown there for the 351M & 400. I highlighted it for you.

And while you are at it, look at the Pulley Identification Chart. It is the only one on the web 'cause that page is missing in all the master parts catalogs. But we have it. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Well, you need to go look at the Crankshaft Tab on our page at Documentation/Engines/Pulleys. A four-sheave pulley is shown there for the 351M & 400. I highlighted it for you.

And while you are at it, look at the Pulley Identification Chart. It is the only one on the web 'cause that page is missing in all the master parts catalogs. But we have it. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Havent a chance until now but I'll be checking it out shortly.

Seems there are a few different size balancers as well. Interesting stuff.

Edit: just checked, my part number isnt in there but very close D3AE instead of D3DE. Doubt that makes much a difference. I'd like to get some measurements of different pulleys too as some of them seem to be different diameters.