Bullnose Forums

Other Projects - Car and Non Car Related

Gary, the truck still has a 351M short block sitting in its perches, I had 3 other blocks laying around to pick from and a complete 400 bottom end given to me for free since I helped do an engine swap in a 78 F250. So, instead of trying to do it in a 10x20 storage unit as I had been doing, I put it on a trailer, swapped my Bull with it in the unit and brought it home while the new engine remains at the machine shop.

We are going .040 over (410ci) with Tmeyer flat tops, Trick Flow heads and a retrofit roller cam. I am almost having a custom torque converter made for the truck and looking into a True Trac for the rear end. Everyone I have talked to said the engine should be in the 475-500 horsepower range. This truck is going to absolutely rip up the streets, and I couldn't be more excited.

Sounds strong, Angelo. The extra 1/2" in stroke should give you lots of torque.

20200614_152756.jpg.76f1abfbdd35d409abf316e313c9673c.jpg

Not quite the same torque numbers but this is the new ride.

94 Toyota, 2.4L 4 cylinder. 140 ft-lbs.

Gonna downsize the tires to a 30 inch all terrain to get the most power out of it. Would like to regear some day, 4.10s in it now I believe.

My first truck was an 89, same model as this and I ran it into the ground before I knew enough about cars to keep it going. I hope to have this one for a very long time. I love a simple dependable truck, and these lightweight trucks are perfect for the roads out here.

Now I just have to deal with the Dmv to get it registered. I cant make an appointment until August! Everythings all backed up now.

Not quite the same torque numbers but this is the new ride.

94 Toyota, 2.4L 4 cylinder. 140 ft-lbs.

Gonna downsize the tires to a 30 inch all terrain to get the most power out of it. Would like to regear some day, 4.10s in it now I believe.

My first truck was an 89, same model as this and I ran it into the ground before I knew enough about cars to keep it going. I hope to have this one for a very long time. I love a simple dependable truck, and these lightweight trucks are perfect for the roads out here.

Now I just have to deal with the Dmv to get it registered. I cant make an appointment until August! Everythings all backed up now.

My son is a Toyota fan. Wanted me to build up one for overlanding.

They are very reliable and lots of people use them successfully. I'll bet you can keep that one going for a very long time. :nabble_smiley_good:

Here's hoping! That 400 I put in my friends 78 sure has some oomph now, so I can't imagine in a small 2wd truck like mine with a hotter cam.

That being said, I've done a lot to it in the last few days. Dropped the short block out the bottom of the truck with a floor jack, degreased and pressure washed the frame in the bay and painted it. I replaced the gas tank although its been giving me a fit and had the hoses dry rotted, got the engine perches in and started plumbing the fuel system. I also replaced the front shocks and got the traction bars bolted in (they need adjusting when its on the road) and the best part was that I mounted up my Nitto drag radials and boy do they look hot! Found a few surprises that need addressing but nothing I can't handle.

This has been my priority project lately but I'll have some bull stuff from dads truck coming up in the next few weeks or so.

20200616_200832.jpg.88fa306019fb23b68c73dc12b8db0e0a.jpg

20200616_184403.jpg.7d856a047c5cfaed2030b1a3f4959e9a.jpg

20200617_202155.jpg.a340a066f1f466c01891f61da485484a.jpg

My son is a Toyota fan. Wanted me to build up one for overlanding.

They are very reliable and lots of people use them successfully. I'll bet you can keep that one going for a very long time. :nabble_smiley_good:

The Hilux/Taco is the #1 choice of mercs and despots worldwide.

As long as you don't have the old frame rot problem, you can go pretty much anywhere.

Here's hoping! That 400 I put in my friends 78 sure has some oomph now, so I can't imagine in a small 2wd truck like mine with a hotter cam.

That being said, I've done a lot to it in the last few days. Dropped the short block out the bottom of the truck with a floor jack, degreased and pressure washed the frame in the bay and painted it. I replaced the gas tank although its been giving me a fit and had the hoses dry rotted, got the engine perches in and started plumbing the fuel system. I also replaced the front shocks and got the traction bars bolted in (they need adjusting when its on the road) and the best part was that I mounted up my Nitto drag radials and boy do they look hot! Found a few surprises that need addressing but nothing I can't handle.

This has been my priority project lately but I'll have some bull stuff from dads truck coming up in the next few weeks or so.

Angelo, I went and bought the compact needle scaler.

It says it only uses 4scfm.

Will report back after my crazy front end/ring gear/cab floor adventure.

The dent is looking good! :nabble_smiley_good:

Should be able to get it to hook with wrap control and meats like that.

Enjoy! :nabble_smiley_cool:

Angelo, I went and bought the compact needle scaler.

It says it only uses 4scfm.

Will report back after my crazy front end/ring gear/cab floor adventure.

The dent is looking good! :nabble_smiley_good:

Should be able to get it to hook with wrap control and meats like that.

Enjoy! :nabble_smiley_cool:

For sure let me know how it goes, I'd like to get a compact scale eventually. Been talking about splitting the cost of a compressor with dad lately but trying to find room for it has been the pain.

I am sure hoping it will hook up although now I'm starting to worry about breaking stuff :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig: We will see though. Eventually I will have a driveshaft made for it. I do think I should probably change the U joints even though they are good.

For sure let me know how it goes, I'd like to get a compact scale eventually. Been talking about splitting the cost of a compressor with dad lately but trying to find room for it has been the pain.

I am sure hoping it will hook up although now I'm starting to worry about breaking stuff :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig: We will see though. Eventually I will have a driveshaft made for it. I do think I should probably change the U joints even though they are good.

In racing, if you're not breaking stuff you're not trying hard enough. :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

New fuel tank nips a lot of issues right in the bud.

What are you using to shift?

I saw a 'rat fink' ratcheting shifter in a pickup the other day...

In racing, if you're not breaking stuff you're not trying hard enough. :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

New fuel tank nips a lot of issues right in the bud.

What are you using to shift?

I saw a 'rat fink' ratcheting shifter in a pickup the other day...

Looking great, Angelo! You are going to be impressed with that 400. :nabble_smiley_good:

Rat Fink shifter? That takes me WAAAAAY back! Haven't seen one of those in a few decades. In the cartoons it always stuck through the roof. :nabble_smiley_evil: