Bullnose Forums

Other Projects - Car and Non Car Related

I'm pleasantly surprised that the final on the CB didn't give up the ghost. Apparently the protection circuit works. :nabble_smiley_good:

I'm just lucky I rarely key the mic since nobody has a CB and uses it regularly. Only time I ever use that function is on the ranch or in the woods. Otherwise it's just a weather radio I use when the clouds get bad while driving. I was worried that it might be the radio itself, but luckily that was not the case. :nabble_smiley_good:

Yesterday I found that my SWRs on my CB in the daily had shot through the roof and my CB was giving me an antenna warning. Upon investigating the cause, the stud mount for the antenna broke, so Amazon to the rescue. Today I replaced that, cleaned the grounds for the antenna mount, cleaned the antenna and spring threads, and removed/cleaned/reinstalled the coax. Some combination of all of that fixed it because now the CB passes all the self checks and my SWRs are back down to 1. That was today's project on my other project.

Nice gardens!

Good job Shaun! I bought some quick disconnects for my antennas. One broke with a heavier antenna.

Then noticed the NOAA channel was getting scratchy on one radio. It was my older Cobra 29 that has sentimental value, but I was ready to put it on the shelf. Got to looking things over and found some corrosion around the QD.

Took it off and it’s much better. Then took the other two off. Just not a good connection. There maybe a better one out there but I don’t think it’s worth the trouble.

One reason I got them was for a longer antenna for SWR.

My latest project keeping me busy is non car related. I got my tiller working very well and my project is growing well.

There are turnips, dragon tongue beans, tomatos, squash, onions, okra, and brussel sprouts. I also have a second garden plot that has corn, okra, broccoli, cucumbers, bell peppers, and jalapeno that I got planted last week.

Glad to see you posting Frank! :nabble_smiley_good:

That's a fine looking garden you've got going there!

I wish I had space, but I do have a tiny 8x12 that gets me through the summer.

Glad to see you posting Frank! :nabble_smiley_good:

That's a fine looking garden you've got going there!

I wish I had space, but I do have a tiny 8x12 that gets me through the summer.

Since everyone is posting their gardens up, here is this years.

105291869_10220301955212899_1026092769992647074_n.jpg.028a12acf06178bcfb7ce123754e8445.jpg

Not as full as other years, been having a varmit and deer problem, so I keep a stock pile of bottle rockets handy :nabble_anim_claps:

Nice gardens!

Good job Shaun! I bought some quick disconnects for my antennas. One broke with a heavier antenna.

Then noticed the NOAA channel was getting scratchy on one radio. It was my older Cobra 29 that has sentimental value, but I was ready to put it on the shelf. Got to looking things over and found some corrosion around the QD.

Took it off and it’s much better. Then took the other two off. Just not a good connection. There maybe a better one out there but I don’t think it’s worth the trouble.

Thanks! I considered a disconnect for my antenna, but had worries of the disconnect coming loose over time and receiving a poor signal. I have a 102" whip so it basically does it's own bending around objects, especially with the spring. I've tried different lengths of Firestiks but the signal strength was just never good enough for me.

Since everyone is posting their gardens up, here is this years.

Not as full as other years, been having a varmit and deer problem, so I keep a stock pile of bottle rockets handy :nabble_anim_claps:

Groundhogs can absorb an amazing amount of .30 carbine before they give up.

Gary, I've not collected much so far this year due to the cool overly damp spring but I have been getting to eat fresh turnip greens and turnips. When every thing else starts coming in, I'll be putting what we don't eat right away in the freezer in vacuum sealed bags. I hope the squirrels leave this next batch of broccoli alone. They ate my first batch. Nice looking gardens everyone, there's nothing fresher or tastier than home grown.

Fortunately, I haven't had too much of a problem with woodchucks, but that's what I keep my .17 HMR outside for. I also have some shotshells for my 22LR I keep in the garage as well for chipmunks and squirrels. The rabbits and deer are the biggest problem. Deer usually leave the stuff alone (and I can't shoot at them out of season, rabbits either really but ya know...that's why I keep the bottle rockets around), but the rabbits come out of the woodwork and destroy my squash and cucumber plants. I have a hard enough time with them as they get these worms that burrow into the stalk and kill the plants, and I have to go out there and cut them out of the stalk and hope the plant doesn't die. Pesticides only do so much and I try to avoid them if I can.

Gary, I've not collected much so far this year due to the cool overly damp spring but I have been getting to eat fresh turnip greens and turnips. When every thing else starts coming in, I'll be putting what we don't eat right away in the freezer in vacuum sealed bags. I hope the squirrels leave this next batch of broccoli alone. They ate my first batch. Nice looking gardens everyone, there's nothing fresher or tastier than home grown.

Frank - I agree that home grown tastes by far the best. Even frozen. I think you have a good plan. :nabble_smiley_good:

Nice gardens!

Thanks! I considered a disconnect for my antenna, but had worries of the disconnect coming loose over time and receiving a poor signal. I have a 102" whip so it basically does it's own bending around objects, especially with the spring. I've tried different lengths of Firestiks but the signal strength was just never good enough for me.

Cool! A 102” whip. Was jealous of your SWR!