Bullnose Forums

T18 to NP435 swap question?

The T18 is in a 81 F100 4x2 short bed truck.

The NP435 I don't know if LB or SB but is a 4x2 and out of an 86 truck.

I hope he can get a measurement from bell to tail housing so I can compare to my T18 setup.

I know the 86 uses a juice clutch and I can get the bell housing with the transmission but not sure on the fork as I don't see it in pictures.

I don't think that will be an issue as the bell housing in the bolt on type and my thinking is to use my bell housing and rebuilt clutch linkage and new clutch assy. and bolt the NP435 to my bell housing.

I don't know what I will need to do to the drive shaft and ask if the seller has the old one.

I also don't see a rubber mount but think (hope) I can get a new one.

I also hope I can reuse my cross member & brackets with out needing to move & re-drill holes.

Also don't know what I would need to do to hook up the speedo?

Get a cable & gear for the 86 truck?

So how hard will it be to install this NP435 in place of the T18 in my truck?

See anything I missed?

Dave ----

Generally in my experience, the crossmembers are drilled for different transmissions, and sometimes only need to be flipped around to fit a different transmission. If I recall correctly, the original 4x2 one from my old F150 with a C6 also had NP435 and T18 stamped into it.

Make sure you get the shift lever for the New Process, it's different from the Borg-Warner.

Generally in my experience, the crossmembers are drilled for different transmissions, and sometimes only need to be flipped around to fit a different transmission. If I recall correctly, the original 4x2 one from my old F150 with a C6 also had NP435 and T18 stamped into it.

Make sure you get the shift lever for the New Process, it's different from the Borg-Warner.

Thanks for the reply

I do remember the different holes in mine when I had it down for the speedo gear.

The rubber mount looks like I might be able to use mine too but will not know till I have everything in place.

I am sure he said it had the shift tower & stick and think I seen the stick in a picture.

The only thing that worries me is how long it might be and how short the drive shaft might be with just the NP435.

Then I have been looking at an AD range splitter OD unit that is just under 8"

Dave ----

Thanks for the reply

I do remember the different holes in mine when I had it down for the speedo gear.

The rubber mount looks like I might be able to use mine too but will not know till I have everything in place.

I am sure he said it had the shift tower & stick and think I seen the stick in a picture.

The only thing that worries me is how long it might be and how short the drive shaft might be with just the NP435.

Then I have been looking at an AD range splitter OD unit that is just under 8"

Dave ----

Are both transmissions (mainly the T-18) fixed yoke? If so, if your driveshaft has a slip joint, that should be enough to soak up whatever small differences you would encounter. If your T-18 has a slip yoke for the tailshaft, your factory driveshaft will be too short, and the wrong style.

If you're lucky, your existing cable will fit/reach the other transmission.

When I switched from my original 3spd manual to the 5spd manual, I was lucky as both transmissions were almost the exact same length. I think the 5spd was 3/8" longer. So the speedo drive gear was in roughly the same location...maybe an inch or two further back, but I was able to use my existing cable.

Also, both trans were slip yoke, so my original driveshaft fit without modification.

Reverse switch is easy to deal with also. The plugs were different between the two trannys, so I just spliced a new plug on the truck harness. Done like dinner.

You should be able to use your existing mechanical clutched bell and associated parts on the new trans also.

When I switched from my original 3spd manual to the 5spd manual, I was lucky as both transmissions were almost the exact same length. I think the 5spd was 3/8" longer. So the speedo drive gear was in roughly the same location...maybe an inch or two further back, but I was able to use my existing cable.

Also, both trans were slip yoke, so my original driveshaft fit without modification.

Reverse switch is easy to deal with also. The plugs were different between the two trannys, so I just spliced a new plug on the truck harness. Done like dinner.

You should be able to use your existing mechanical clutched bell and associated parts on the new trans also.

I still have the 4x2 crossmember in my truck, and I just checked it. One side reads "Front : C6, T18, NP435, AOD" and the other side says "Front: 3SPD, SROD".

That's on an 86, and I remember my 1980 was the same way. So you should be fine.

Are both transmissions (mainly the T-18) fixed yoke? If so, if your driveshaft has a slip joint, that should be enough to soak up whatever small differences you would encounter. If your T-18 has a slip yoke for the tailshaft, your factory driveshaft will be too short, and the wrong style.

The seller said his was a slip yoke into the transmission like my T18 and he may have the yoke as that would help.

I just will not know if the 2 are the same from face to tail so see if my drive shaft would work.

Thanks

Dave ----

From the pictures it is hard to tell where the hole is for the speedo but looks to be about where mine is. Then I would just need to make sure my driven gear will work with the drive gear - I hope it will be.

The switch looks to be the same as mine and I had to make a plug from a weather pack plug as the trucks plug was bad inside the plug. I also did not want to spend $ if the switch did not work, I was lucky it did.

I was also thinking the same on the linkage as the bells are "bolt on's".

The seller thinks he has the juice pedal assy. that I will try and buy with the bell so I have them if I ever need them for a 5sp I may come across.

Thanks

Dave ----

I still have the 4x2 crossmember in my truck, and I just checked it. One side reads "Front : C6, T18, NP435, AOD" and the other side says "Front: 3SPD, SROD".

That's on an 86, and I remember my 1980 was the same way. So you should be fine.

I though I seen slots for adjustment between the different transmissions on mine a few weeks ago.

Some of the web searching I have done today I find the T18 / T19 / NP435 all swap between them with a little different parts.

Most of the information is for "what is best?" and the T19 you can drive as a true 4sp with a sync first gear where the T18 & NP435 you drive as a 3sp as the first is a non-sync granny gear.

Like anything it depends on how you want to use the truck.

Thanks

Dave ----

I though I seen slots for adjustment between the different transmissions on mine a few weeks ago.

Some of the web searching I have done today I find the T18 / T19 / NP435 all swap between them with a little different parts.

Most of the information is for "what is best?" and the T19 you can drive as a true 4sp with a sync first gear where the T18 & NP435 you drive as a 3sp as the first is a non-sync granny gear.

Like anything it depends on how you want to use the truck.

Thanks

Dave ----

Dave,

Why not just swing by my house and look/ measure to your hearts content?

And in case you forgot, some time in the future I will be dropping my NP435 to make room for my 4R70W. All parts related to the NP435 will be available. Probably for free!