Bullnose Forums

Ammeter Question

The 3G conversion is more of a mandatory for those of us with the 2G (firestarter)

Batteries, charge plugs and alternators add up fast, once they start smoking.

If 60A is enough for you, then it's enough.

Well. Y'all are good at spending my money. I pulled the ammeter off the new cluster I got and paid for the conversion. Hoping to get it shipped out tomorrow.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well. Y'all are good at spending my money. I pulled the ammeter off the new cluster I got and paid for the conversion. Hoping to get it shipped out tomorrow.

Yep, ain't it fun! :nabble_smiley_evil:

But, you do know that you'll need to change some wiring to make the voltmeter work. Right? It is explained on the Ammeter And Voltmeter tab here: Documentation/Electrical/3G Conversion.

Yep, ain't it fun! :nabble_smiley_evil:

But, you do know that you'll need to change some wiring to make the voltmeter work. Right? It is explained on the Ammeter And Voltmeter tab here: Documentation/Electrical/3G Conversion.

Remove from cluster & look on back to see if there is adjustment like fuel gauge has in back of fuel gauge there are 2 holes if you llok close you can see a wheel inside of the hole, you can use a small pocket phillips screw driver to turn wheel to change position of needle, i just did this to my gas gauge because when you filled it gauge went 1/4in above full only problem with that at 1/4 tank you were out found that out the hard way. AMP GAUGE may have the same adj on the back.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a follow up.

I had planned to replace the ammeter with one from a spare instrument cluster I already owned, but the donor meter plastic bracket (holds the screw terminals) literally disintegrated before my eyes.

I followed BARRYS83F100's suggestion and looked for an adjustment hole on the rear of the meter. The meter does have a tiny hole but I don't know if there is an adjustment in there as I wasn't successful in moving the needle.

So I figured what the heck and tried bending the needle a bit. I used my right index finger to push against the bottom of the needle and my left index finger to push against the tip of the needle. It came out OK and as others noted, it's not like this meter is all that accurate anyway.

Ammeter-After.jpg.8f490e58c1e20cfeeb766b7064c699b4.jpg

Just a follow up.

I had planned to replace the ammeter with one from a spare instrument cluster I already owned, but the donor meter plastic bracket (holds the screw terminals) literally disintegrated before my eyes.

I followed BARRYS83F100's suggestion and looked for an adjustment hole on the rear of the meter. The meter does have a tiny hole but I don't know if there is an adjustment in there as I wasn't successful in moving the needle.

So I figured what the heck and tried bending the needle a bit. I used my right index finger to push against the bottom of the needle and my left index finger to push against the tip of the needle. It came out OK and as others noted, it's not like this meter is all that accurate anyway.

Well done! I may try that 'cause I have an ammeter that sets off center with nothing flowing.

Well done! I may try that 'cause I have an ammeter that sets off center with nothing flowing.

Kind of on topic so thought I’d post here instead of a new thread. Looking at the page below, if I get the female side if connector 610 and wire it to a relay with a switched power source, I can leave the printed circuit board alone and my converted ammeter should work as a voltmeter. Any thoughts? Planning a 5 amp fuse.

FD7E4F3E-D852-4EFB-9861-EAC42E3BDD5A.png.0920c578d12a3f6049e7c529dd0a3dcc.png

Kind of on topic so thought I’d post here instead of a new thread. Looking at the page below, if I get the female side if connector 610 and wire it to a relay with a switched power source, I can leave the printed circuit board alone and my converted ammeter should work as a voltmeter. Any thoughts? Planning a 5 amp fuse.

Yep, check this out:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1339746-how-to-swap-amp-meter-to-volt-meter.html

No real need for a relay though and a 1 amp fuse will suffice - the voltmeter isn't any real load. I am using the LG/R trigger wire that is also in c610.

Yep, check this out:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1339746-how-to-swap-amp-meter-to-volt-meter.html

No real need for a relay though and a 1 amp fuse will suffice - the voltmeter isn't any real load. I am using the LG/R trigger wire that is also in c610.

Or you could use the wiring diagram from our own page: Documentation/Electrical/3G Conversion. See the Ammeter & Voltmeter tab.

base-wiring-capture-ediited_orig.thumb.jpg.c0e85ad07382432f54dbed36be478a0f.jpg