Bullnose Forums

Ammeter Question

I've removed the ammeter from the instrument cluster because the needle is offset towards "D". I was hoping to find an adjustment to re-zero the meter but no joy. does anyone know if these meters can be adjusted or do I just to replace the meter?

Thx.

Ammeter_2.jpg.23326bf0997f54e3dba05034cde040dd.jpg

The meters can be calibrated, but they don't read much in any case.

Metrology would charge you more than a new one.

They can be converted to a Voltmeter by Rocketman Innovations.

That is a prerequisite, if swapping out the feeble alternator for a 3G or one-wire.

There are a couple of write ups here on the forum.

does anyone know if these meters can be adjusted or do I just to replace the meter?

Thx.

Currently on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=Battery+gausge+Ford+F150+1984&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_osacat=0&_odkw=Ammeter+Ford+F150+1984

For $45 with a lifetime warranty, I think I'd go with Bob's voltmeter...

https://www.rccinnovations.com/index.php?show=menu-volt-all

Ask Gary. They are beautiful!

That is a prerequisite, if swapping out the feeble alternator for a 3G or one-wire.

On the 3G....if you don't get it converted, it just doesn't work right? It won't cause any damage if you leave it in?

If you try to force 130A through something rated for 65 it's going to have problems.

You can remove the shunt wire and replace it with something suitable (like 8Ga.) but then the ammeter won't read at all, so what's the point?

Thanks all for the quick replies.

I know these ammeters don't show a heck of a lot but I figured while I had the instrument cluster apart I'd see if I could adjust the offset. I have a spare so I'll be swapping meters.

I had not considered a 3G alternator upgrade but I'll have to look into it. the stock alternator has been working OK for the past 38 years so a new alternator hasn't been high on my list of Things To Do.

Thanks again.

If you try to force 130A through something rated for 65 it's going to have problems.

You can remove the shunt wire and replace it with something suitable (like 8Ga.) but then the ammeter won't read at all, so what's the point?

I was planning on moving the charge connection directly to the battery. I just hadn't looked at the wiring diagram yet to see how it was originally connected. I move the charge cable for now and when time allows, get the voltmeter converted and swapped in. I never really pay much attention to it anyway......

Thanks!

Thanks all for the quick replies.

I know these ammeters don't show a heck of a lot but I figured while I had the instrument cluster apart I'd see if I could adjust the offset. I have a spare so I'll be swapping meters.

I had not considered a 3G alternator upgrade but I'll have to look into it. the stock alternator has been working OK for the past 38 years so a new alternator hasn't been high on my list of Things To Do.

Thanks again.

The 3G conversion is more of a mandatory for those of us with the 2G (firestarter)

Batteries, charge plugs and alternators add up fast, once they start smoking.

If 60A is enough for you, then it's enough.