Bullnose Forums

Popping/backfiring/shifting issue

Dave, FWIW, Torqueflites use a throttle rod or cable, no vacuum modulators ever on Chrysler transmissions. The BW35 and BW6 used in AMC products some had vacuum modulators, most used a throttle push cable. Ford went to vacuum modulators around 1960 from a throttle rod, the rod was kept for strictly WOT downshift purposes (you should see what the 430 Lincolns used, the throttle relay bell crank was on a spring loaded bracket, that depressed at WOT and operated the downshift rod).

You are right as my street car with auto uses a TF999 with the AMC bell housing.

Now if you were talking of my drag car with AMC motor and using vacuum modulator you have to look at early Jeeps as they used a TH400 with the AMC bell housing. Some also used an adaptor and the BOP bell IIRC.

Now being it came from a Jeep it had a 4x4 out put shaft that had to be changed to a 4x2 out put shaft and that could be from any GM TH400 auto.

When dealing with AMC and making them live and go fast you have to know all the ins & outs :nabble_smiley_wink:

Dave ----

Do some reading on AMC autos pre-torqueflite, they used Borg-Warner model 35s on the sixes and (I was in error) model 12s (big cast iron box) on the V8s. The model 12 is very similar to a Ford FMX and was also used by IHC in the Scout, pickups and Travelalls. Some of them had a solenoid downshift system, but it was built into the modulator.

Do some reading on AMC autos pre-torqueflite, they used Borg-Warner model 35s on the sixes and (I was in error) model 12s (big cast iron box) on the V8s. The model 12 is very similar to a Ford FMX and was also used by IHC in the Scout, pickups and Travelalls. Some of them had a solenoid downshift system, but it was built into the modulator.

You are also right with the BW's and them v8 cast iron autos were heavy SOB's

My drag car came from the factory with one. Thing is you cant get any hop up parts for them anymore and I hear even rebuild parts a hard to find and why we go with the AMC bell TF's or the Jeep AMC bell TH400's for hi performance.

Thing is some of the TF's have issues with the sprag when used for drag racing even the HD ones.

Once over auto transmission deal you have to deal with bolt on hubs & axles.

The hubs have splines and when installed on the axle cut splines into the axle shaft.

If you get to much traction you strip the splines and no go!

You can now get 1 piece axles but when I started building my drag car you could not get them.

Yep fun time building a AMC drag car!

Dave ----