Bullnose Forums

A Little Help - Calculator Questions

Over the holidays my son taught me how to do drop-downs in Excel. And, I researched how to determine a tire's diameter from the sidewall markings. So I incorporated those features into the calculator at Documenation/Driveline/Calculator. But I'd like y'all to take a look at a couple of things, please.

• Is it obvious how to use the drop-downs for tire size calculations?

• Is the transfer case selection process obvious?

• Is it necessary to have the transfer case low ratio shown when you select the transfer case? I'd like to eliminate that as it seems confusing, but it does allow you to enter your own ratio there if you are using some t-case that isn't in the list.

Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Alright, the drop-downs are now working. Please check it out and let me know.

And, I think I have a solution to the odd t-case ratio sticking out there. I'll add a t-case option called Other and let the user input his/her ratio in the table next to Other. That way the ratio doesn't need to have its own visible cell where someone could type in another ratio.

Thoughts? Or did I make it really confusing?

And, I think I have a solution to the odd t-case ratio sticking out there. I'll add a t-case option called Other and let the user input his/her ratio in the table next to Other. That way the ratio doesn't need to have its own visible cell where someone could type in another ratio.

Thoughts? Or did I make it really confusing?

Looks pretty good, according to that Darth will go 179 MPH in 4th @ 5000 rpm. :nabble_smiley_happy:

Looks pretty good, according to that Darth will go 179 MPH in 4th @ 5000 rpm. :nabble_smiley_happy:

Thanks! I've also taken away the t-case ratio cell and added the Other cell so that you can add whatever t-case ratio you want, just like you can in the transmissions. Should provide adequate flexibility.

Yes, it also says Big Blue will hit 194 in 4th @ 5000. Somehow I doubt it, and I sure don't want to do it. :nabble_smiley_scared:

Seems to work for me... only comments I have are that I can’t display the whole sheet and trying to select from the drop down repeatedly shoots me to the bottom of the page if I don’t click just right... because I am on my phone. I know this isn’t supposed to be for mobile device use, but I tried it so I could give feedback, and it does work. 👍

Seems to work for me... only comments I have are that I can’t display the whole sheet and trying to select from the drop down repeatedly shoots me to the bottom of the page if I don’t click just right... because I am on my phone. I know this isn’t supposed to be for mobile device use, but I tried it so I could give feedback, and it does work. 👍

Did you try turning it landscape? I did and it worked better. Could almost see all of it. And, when I used the drop-downs I zoomed in and it helped. But it is tricky, I'll agree to that. However, I don't know how to fix that.

And, y'all missed a glitch in the wheel diameter drop-down and it was showing the aspect ratio options. But I've fixed that now.

Anyway, thanks! Keep on poking around.

Did you try turning it landscape? I did and it worked better. Could almost see all of it. And, when I used the drop-downs I zoomed in and it helped. But it is tricky, I'll agree to that. However, I don't know how to fix that.

And, y'all missed a glitch in the wheel diameter drop-down and it was showing the aspect ratio options. But I've fixed that now.

Anyway, thanks! Keep on poking around.

The only thing I had as issue with is in the blue table when you move the mouse over areas it does not do anything to let you know you have a drop down to pick from.

I started clicking all over before I found the drop downs.

Then when you go to low, no drop down, you type something in and it shows but it dose nothing as it should.

Any way to make the mouse show the drop down when over it with out clicking and make where there is no drop down so you cant type anything.

Then again maybe it just me?

I do like the tire size deal but why not list the gear ratios for the transmissions & transfer cases then list the formulas for the others for speed at what RPM or RPM is the speed?

The other I find helpful is total ratio for the trany gear ratio+rear gear ratio=xxx

I find this helps when you know what you have in the truck or car. Say you know first gear is to high, slipping clutch, and you want to swap tranys for something with a lower first gear and maybe an over drive and maybe not change the rear gear to get what you want.

You could then use this information and the formulas to check speed & RPM's.

ie: I know my T18 granny low is to low for normal driving and I feel the 2nd gear is a little to high even with out a load. I don't want to go lower in the rear to make 2nd gear good for normal driving but my high way RPM will now be higher and not wanted so looking at different transmissions. (the M5-R2 is looking good over the hard to find ZF5)

Sorry so long

Dave ----

The only thing I had as issue with is in the blue table when you move the mouse over areas it does not do anything to let you know you have a drop down to pick from.

I started clicking all over before I found the drop downs.

Then when you go to low, no drop down, you type something in and it shows but it dose nothing as it should.

Any way to make the mouse show the drop down when over it with out clicking and make where there is no drop down so you cant type anything.

Then again maybe it just me?

I do like the tire size deal but why not list the gear ratios for the transmissions & transfer cases then list the formulas for the others for speed at what RPM or RPM is the speed?

The other I find helpful is total ratio for the trany gear ratio+rear gear ratio=xxx

I find this helps when you know what you have in the truck or car. Say you know first gear is to high, slipping clutch, and you want to swap tranys for something with a lower first gear and maybe an over drive and maybe not change the rear gear to get what you want.

You could then use this information and the formulas to check speed & RPM's.

ie: I know my T18 granny low is to low for normal driving and I feel the 2nd gear is a little to high even with out a load. I don't want to go lower in the rear to make 2nd gear good for normal driving but my high way RPM will now be higher and not wanted so looking at different transmissions. (the M5-R2 is looking good over the hard to find ZF5)

Sorry so long

Dave ----

Dave - That's a lot to take in, so let me see if I can condense it to get my head around it:

• Drop-Downs: I don't know how to make the drop-downs visible all the time. But I'll check to see if I can, although it will take some time.

• Go Too Low: This I don't understand. You said "you type something in and it shows but it dose nothing as it should". What do you mean by "go too low"? Too low in the parameter, like tire size? Or to a cell too low? Sorry, but I'm dense. Help!

• Why not list the gear ratios for the transmissions & transfer cases then list the formulas for the others for speed at what RPM or RPM is the speed? This is another one I'm lost on. What formulas are you looking for?

• Total Ratio: This I think I understand, but still want to ask some ?'s. Are you looking for the total ratio in each gear? On all of the transmissions at the same time? Yipes, that's a lot of new cells. If that's what you are looking for then maybe it should be on another sheet? Use this one to find RPM and/or MPH, and another to see the gearing? Or, did I misunderstand?

So, please help me understand.