Bullnose Forums

Starter solenoid?

The only reason I dont want to fix the cluster right now is because the previous owners of this truck completely ruined all of the wiring and I dont have enough experience to do a better job myself, but it is definitely on the list. I just wanted to hook up a oil pressure and water temp gauge. There is already a water temp gauge in there which is mechanical but it doesnt work. All it was connected to it is what I believe is a water line going to the front of the intake manifold right next to the distributor. I have no clue how mechanical gauges work and if they need electrical work, my guess would be no but I dont know too much. How would setting up a mechanical oil pressure gauge go and what do you mean by a "T"? I'm sorry I ask so many questions

No need to apologize.

That's why we're all here, to help each other. :nabble_anim_handshake:

I'm assuming you mean the ~2" long bypass hose between the front of the intake and the back of the water pump.

The stock oil pressure sender looks like a little tin can with a wire going to the top of it.

It changes resistance as the oil pressure from the oil gallery at the back of the block, above the cam, pushes against a spring inside.

In essence more pressure pushes the contact closer to ground, making for a higher reading.

Mechanical oil pressure gauges don't rely on electricity at all.

There is a tube from the oil port to the gauge.

Inside the gauge uses a bourdon tube connected to the indicator needle.

This tube is coiled up like a watch spring.

When pressure acts on it, it wants to straighten out, and this makes the needle sweep around.

A Tee is just a plumbing part so that a single source can feed two things at once.

I dont think were thinking of the same thing here, I'll take pictures tomorrow but it's one long metal tube going from behind the distributer to inside the cab where the gauge is. I thought it was odd but I'm assuming it worked at some point.

I dont think were thinking of the same thing here, I'll take pictures tomorrow but it's one long metal tube going from behind the distributer to inside the cab where the gauge is. I thought it was odd but I'm assuming it worked at some point.

Oh, so they removed the water temp sender and replaced it with a thermocouple.

There is a water port there.

I don't think about it much, because on my intake it's moved to the other side.

If there's a long metal tube going into the cab then that's a mechanical gauge with the bourdon tube that Jim mentioned.

But it wouldn't be, for water temperature... Would it?

I searched for "how does a mechanical water temp gauge work" and this page says:

They have a sealed capillary tube and bulb assembly that is filled with temperature sensitive liquid that produces a proportional vapor pressure on the bourdon tube. As the temperature changes, the pressure inside the bourdon tube changes, which in turn moves the pointer on the gauge.

And it has this drawing:

bourdontube.gif.c6943ffe136f7b3fce46f794cc021d6a.gif

But it wouldn't be, for water temperature... Would it?

Like I said the former owners wanted to turn her into a race truck I guess, so who knows what that would be for. What would a thermocouple measure because it is hooked up to a gauge and it says "water temp" on it, that's why I assumed that

Like I said the former owners wanted to turn her into a race truck I guess, so who knows what that would be for. What would a thermocouple measure because it is hooked up to a gauge and it says "water temp" on it, that's why I assumed that

It measures heat., by creating tiny amounts of electricity -proportional- to the heat applied at the end.

But Gary has a point.

If it came as a sealed system, and the tube is coiled with no kinks, it could be a burdon tube type gauge.

I would go with the simple answer... that it is what it says it is.

***Gary, it could be the very same wax pellet that the variable resistor type bullnose gauges use.

It measures heat., by creating tiny amounts of electricity -proportional- to the heat applied at the end.

But Gary has a point.

If it came as a sealed system, and the tube is coiled with no kinks, it could be a burdon tube type gauge.

I would go with the simple answer... that it is what it says it is.

***Gary, it could be the very same wax pellet that the variable resistor type bullnose gauges use.

This thread isnt about my starter solenoid anymore should I start one just for my truck? Anyways sorry it took a while I had the truck running installed an oil pressure gauge and from a cold start shes right at 75psi. Now I need to figure out the tuning of the carb and install a new choke. I took a picture of where my mystery water temp gauge's line is hooked up. Can someone explain to me what it is and what I need to replace exactly. I have no clue I am sorry Snapchat-1472576845.thumb.jpg.c370a015b89e8a3d4e79b7bd4c0d50c1.jpg

This thread isnt about my starter solenoid anymore should I start one just for my truck? Anyways sorry it took a while I had the truck running installed an oil pressure gauge and from a cold start shes right at 75psi. Now I need to figure out the tuning of the carb and install a new choke. I took a picture of where my mystery water temp gauge's line is hooked up. Can someone explain to me what it is and what I need to replace exactly. I have no clue I am sorry

The coiled metal pipe goes into the block right under where the fuel line is behind the distributer

The coiled metal pipe goes into the block right under where the fuel line is behind the distributer

I think you mean to say 'into the intake manifold'

The only block I can see at the front of my 460 is at the base of the distributor.

But maybe.... If the PO went as far as to gut the gauge cluster ' for racing!' :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

Perhaps you should start a new thread (topic) about this.

Or just post what you've found in the WDYDTYTT.

I'm sure all the -brain trust-😈 will see it there.