Bullnose Forums

Starter solenoid?

Sorry about that I wasnt sure how to properly upload a picture. It's a little wacky just to prevent me from drilling new holes. I went ahead and put the red/lb wire on the I instead of the s and still nothing. I just get a dimming parking brake light. Could it be something else not having to do with the relay?

Yes, it easily could be something else since you changed a lot of things. But here's what I'd do: Pull the two little wires. Then take a jumper and go from the battery's hot terminal to the little S terminal. That should pull the relay in and crank the engine - so make sure it is in Neutral with the park brake on.

If that works the relay and other wiring but the ignition switch are good. If not, now we have to start testing things. But it may well be a ground.

Yes, it easily could be something else since you changed a lot of things. But here's what I'd do: Pull the two little wires. Then take a jumper and go from the battery's hot terminal to the little S terminal. That should pull the relay in and crank the engine - so make sure it is in Neutral with the park brake on.

If that works the relay and other wiring but the ignition switch are good. If not, now we have to start testing things. But it may well be a ground.

Is there any specific grounds to check? I got rid of all the rust and paint where the relay goes and the bolts are tight so I cant see that being a bad ground but maybe. I have cleaned all of the grounds that I have found myself but I'm sure I've missed some. I'll have to find some jumpers but if that does work should I just go about rewiring the ignition switch?

Is there any specific grounds to check? I got rid of all the rust and paint where the relay goes and the bolts are tight so I cant see that being a bad ground but maybe. I have cleaned all of the grounds that I have found myself but I'm sure I've missed some. I'll have to find some jumpers but if that does work should I just go about rewiring the ignition switch?

If you have a light dimming in the cab, I would check the firewall ground.

On my truck it goes from the wiper motor to the intake manifold stud.

You can use almost anything (a paperclip) to jump from the battery+ stud to the 'S' terminal.

But as Gary said, be sure you are in neutral with the parking brake engaged, and if you want it to start, that ignition is on.

Otherwise it will crank, but not start.

If you have a light dimming in the cab, I would check the firewall ground.

On my truck it goes from the wiper motor to the intake manifold stud.

You can use almost anything (a paperclip) to jump from the battery+ stud to the 'S' terminal.

But as Gary said, be sure you are in neutral with the parking brake engaged, and if you want it to start, that ignition is on.

Otherwise it will crank, but not start.

I redid some more grounds, and jumped the relay and it cranked. What does this mean? My problem now has nothing to do with the relay and all that jazz right? I'm sorry for all the questions I am just dying to drive this ole girl. What should my next check be?

I redid some more grounds, and jumped the relay and it cranked. What does this mean? My problem now has nothing to do with the relay and all that jazz right? I'm sorry for all the questions I am just dying to drive this ole girl. What should my next check be?

But you don't even get a click when you turn the key?

Is your truck late enough to have a NSS?

Is there a toothed plastic bar connected to the clutch pedal?

But you don't even get a click when you turn the key?

Is your truck late enough to have a NSS?

Is there a toothed plastic bar connected to the clutch pedal?

If so, two things.

Slide the stop block back down the bar, and try again while depressing the clutch.

(You know you have to step on the clutch to start, right?)

Two, if the switch is bad, unplug it and put a spare fuse from the panel in the socket.

Then try again.

If so, two things.

Slide the stop block back down the bar, and try again while depressing the clutch.

(You know you have to step on the clutch to start, right?)

Two, if the switch is bad, unplug it and put a spare fuse from the panel in the socket.

Then try again.

20200102_134828.jpg.ee31d0fbb6c144f3e9d958f152490a24.jpg

Is this what you are talking about?

Yeah, it's hard to orient myself with autorotate on, but yes.

So unplug it and put a fuse in the plug, then try

I tried the fuse trick and it works perfectly now. Best sounding crank I've heard from ot so far. Should I just keep the fuse where it is or replace the whole switch?