Bullnose Forums

Lighting Upgrades

Gary Lewis

Day-Time Running Lights: According to Daniel "Daytime running lights significantly reduce your risk of being in a crash during the daytime, and are required equipment in Canada, throughout Europe, and in a large and growing number of other countries throughout the world because they are a very cost-effective safety device (i.e., they work). You can easily enable this functionality in your vehicle using a DRL-1 module ($59); see http://dastern.torque.net/Mods/DRL/DRL1.html for instructions and demonstration videos. This is the best way to put a daytime running light function on a vehicle not originally equipped (or which has had its headlamp-based DRLs disabled for installation of headlight relays). The module enables the steady-burning operation of both front directional signals as daytime running lights (except, of course, when you're signalling for a turn). They produce a light distribution with a wide view angle, are generally well located for DRL service at the outboard edges of the front of the vehicle, consume considerably less power than any headlamp-based DRL implementation, use light sources of generally much longer life than a headlight bulb, do not encourage improper nighttime use of lights, and do not require additional lighting devices to be added.

Interesting read on the DRL's. As a Canadian, I'm quite used to them...but from what I've read on forums over the years, I thought they were generally disliked (and even detested) in America....kinda like the Metric system...lol. Just kiddin' guys.

The little DRL conversion modules are common...I've installed a few of them over the years. I've imported several vehicles from the US into Canada, and one of the requirements to pass the RIV inspection is to have daytime running lights (within 45 days of import), among other things.

This is an anecdotal story I know, but a couple years ago, I installed a set of Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited bulbs in my car, and decided to disable the DRL's to improve the bulb lifespan. Well, I noticed that cars seemed to be pulling out in front of me more often. It was noticeable. Anyway, I sold that car and I'm back to my DRL's now, and I'm just going to leave them intact.

Oddly though, my old '84 Bullnose has daytime running lights, and I was planning on disabling them...I've just been too lazy to look in the wiring diagram to see where I had to do it.

David - Good to know that the Hellas are working for you. I've run Hellas for many years on things from motorcycles to Chevy vans w/o problems, so it doesn't surprise me that they worked for you. Thanks for that input.

Rembrant - I hadn't realized that the Canadian Bullnose trucks have DRL's, but that makes sense. So, it might not be difficult to implement it on the State-side ones. But, given that the module also gives the blinking side marker light I think I'll go that way. Except, Ray sent me the DRL module for the '96 from which he took the harness I'm going to use on Dad's truck, so maybe I'll go that way.

Anyway, I do think it is a good-to-have safety feature.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Day-Time Running Lights: According to Daniel "Daytime running lights significantly reduce your risk of being in a crash during the daytime, and are required equipment in Canada, throughout Europe, and in a large and growing number of other countries throughout the world because they are a very cost-effective safety device (i.e., they work). You can easily enable this functionality in your vehicle using a DRL-1 module ($59); see http://dastern.torque.net/Mods/DRL/DRL1.html for instructions and demonstration videos. This is the best way to put a daytime running light function on a vehicle not originally equipped (or which has had its headlamp-based DRLs disabled for installation of headlight relays). The module enables the steady-burning operation of both front directional signals as daytime running lights (except, of course, when you're signalling for a turn). They produce a light distribution with a wide view angle, are generally well located for DRL service at the outboard edges of the front of the vehicle, consume considerably less power than any headlamp-based DRL implementation, use light sources of generally much longer life than a headlight bulb, do not encourage improper nighttime use of lights, and do not require additional lighting devices to be added.

Interesting read on the DRL's. As a Canadian, I'm quite used to them...but from what I've read on forums over the years, I thought they were generally disliked (and even detested) in America....kinda like the Metric system...lol. Just kiddin' guys.

The little DRL conversion modules are common...I've installed a few of them over the years. I've imported several vehicles from the US into Canada, and one of the requirements to pass the RIV inspection is to have daytime running lights (within 45 days of import), among other things.

This is an anecdotal story I know, but a couple years ago, I installed a set of Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited bulbs in my car, and decided to disable the DRL's to improve the bulb lifespan. Well, I noticed that cars seemed to be pulling out in front of me more often. It was noticeable. Anyway, I sold that car and I'm back to my DRL's now, and I'm just going to leave them intact.

Oddly though, my old '84 Bullnose has daytime running lights, and I was planning on disabling them...I've just been too lazy to look in the wiring diagram to see where I had to do it.

Add me to the list of one's that don't care for stuff like that, DRL. To me, it's Big Brother getting in my business.

Add me to the list of one's that don't care for stuff like that, DRL. To me, it's Big Brother getting in my business.

Every once in a while Big Brother comes up with good things. And DRL's might be on that list. I know that when I rode motorcycles I created a module to run the turn signals all the time to provide more safety, long before the industry did that. So why not on our trucks?

Every once in a while Big Brother comes up with good things. And DRL's might be on that list. I know that when I rode motorcycles I created a module to run the turn signals all the time to provide more safety, long before the industry did that. So why not on our trucks?

Just me, I like to control the systems . . it's called DRIVING :) I don't want to be told to put on a seatbelt. I don't want a noise to tell me something is behind me. I don't need anyone or anything to park for me. I don't need to be told I'm about to hit something, etc. I like the complete driving experience. If the manus want to make a switch so you can use this option or decide to turn it off . . . . I'd be fine with that. Don't leave me no choice.

Rembrant - I hadn't realized that the Canadian Bullnose trucks have DRL's, but that makes sense.

Well, I guess I should clarify...my headlights are on as long as the truck is on...but maybe my headlight switch is broken...lol. I checked Google, and it looks like DRL's weren't mandated in Canada until December 1989. Now, perhaps Ford was installing them voluntarily prior to that, but who knows.

I have the full factory manual for my truck (PDF on CD), but I'm not sure if there's a wiring diagram in there or not. I must take a look.

Rembrant - I hadn't realized that the Canadian Bullnose trucks have DRL's, but that makes sense.

Well, I guess I should clarify...my headlights are on as long as the truck is on...but maybe my headlight switch is broken...lol. I checked Google, and it looks like DRL's weren't mandated in Canada until December 1989. Now, perhaps Ford was installing them voluntarily prior to that, but who knows.

I have the full factory manual for my truck (PDF on CD), but I'm not sure if there's a wiring diagram in there or not. I must take a look.

I don't see anything in the '86 EVTM about DRL's, and the headlights don't look like they are supposed to be on all of the time.

I don't see anything in the '86 EVTM about DRL's, and the headlights don't look like they are supposed to be on all of the time.

I will have a look at the switch and wiring and comment on how it's wired later. It may not have DRL's, but rather a bad switch or a modification from the previous owner...who knows. All I know is that the lights are on when the truck is on, and I can't turn them off;).

I will have a look at the switch and wiring and comment on how it's wired later. It may not have DRL's, but rather a bad switch or a modification from the previous owner...who knows. All I know is that the lights are on when the truck is on, and I can't turn them off;).

Headlight wiring shows in Electrical/EVTM/1981 EVTM/Headlights. The reason to use the 1981 EVTM is because in 86 Ford dropped the dots and hash marks. So the 1981 should be used for your '84.

• 2 years later...

David - Good to know that the Hellas are working for you. I've run Hellas for many years on things from motorcycles to Chevy vans w/o problems, so it doesn't surprise me that they worked for you. Thanks for that input.

Rembrant - I hadn't realized that the Canadian Bullnose trucks have DRL's, but that makes sense. So, it might not be difficult to implement it on the State-side ones. But, given that the module also gives the blinking side marker light I think I'll go that way. Except, Ray sent me the DRL module for the '96 from which he took the harness I'm going to use on Dad's truck, so maybe I'll go that way.

Anyway, I do think it is a good-to-have safety feature.

Interesting thread. Glad you recently referenced it Gary.

But, given that the module also gives the blinking side marker light I think I'll go that way.

Does it? After seeing the side marker and drl page both reference the same module (DRL-1) I assumed you could use one for both purposes but I haven't drawn out the diagrams to see where they overlap. Hard to flip between the two pages on my phone.

If it does and there is no need to buy two, that makes it a lot more tempting.

Wrong thread from where you referenced them, but please post a photo of the ceramic sockets when you get them. Really interested in those and if I place an order for the module, might as well get those at the same time.