Bullnose Forums

Hi/Lo Beam Relay Wiring Question

fords4life

And given that most bulbs are rated at 14V so they don't constantly blow out that's saying a lot, given inverse square law.

The output must have increased dramatically

The Cherokee was mostly driven by my (at the time) 17 year old son. One night I was replacing a U-joint on the Cherokee so he took my wife's Ford Escape to work. When he got home he said that he thought the Escapes headlights must have been on high beam, but once he figured out how to switch them found that they were on low. So was there anything we could do about his headlights? I drove it at night to see what they were like, and it seemed like it was just running the parking lights :nabble_smiley_scared: So yes, it was a dramatic improvement!

It did burn out some headlights after that. I put new lights in it when I did the relays because the old ones were a little corroded on the terminals (which didn't help the light output either I'm sure) and both of the new bulbs burned out within a year. But both of the replacements I got when those went were still going strong about 4 years later when we traded the Cherokee in. I'm sure the higher voltage was a factor in the short life of the first set, but I think poor quality bulbs was also likely a factor.

I'll bet you felt a lot safer with your son driving at night after that.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And given that most bulbs are rated at 14V so they don't constantly blow out that's saying a lot, given inverse square law.

The output must have increased dramatically

The Cherokee was mostly driven by my (at the time) 17 year old son. One night I was replacing a U-joint on the Cherokee so he took my wife's Ford Escape to work. When he got home he said that he thought the Escapes headlights must have been on high beam, but once he figured out how to switch them found that they were on low. So was there anything we could do about his headlights? I drove it at night to see what they were like, and it seemed like it was just running the parking lights :nabble_smiley_scared: So yes, it was a dramatic improvement!

It did burn out some headlights after that. I put new lights in it when I did the relays because the old ones were a little corroded on the terminals (which didn't help the light output either I'm sure) and both of the new bulbs burned out within a year. But both of the replacements I got when those went were still going strong about 4 years later when we traded the Cherokee in. I'm sure the higher voltage was a factor in the short life of the first set, but I think poor quality bulbs was also likely a factor.

If I remember right Sylvania had a class-action against them for the short life of their SilverStar headlights. I wonder if you had a pair of them?

I'll bet you felt a lot safer with your son driving at night after that.

I sure didn't feel good about how I had been (unknowingly) putting him in an unsafe situation driving it before that!

If I remember right Sylvania had a class-action against them for the short life of their SilverStar headlights. I wonder if you had a pair of them?

I don't remember what lights they were. It was about 5 or 6 years ago for what that's worth.

Plug-n-play is a nice feature when it's done right!

You still need to run the ground wires.

I use SDST 8x1/2 hex head zip screws to the radiator support. (because that's where my negative terminal 8 Ga. auxiliary ground goes)

I can also attest to how good the harness is. My 95 with a bull clip has it, my 79 has it, my dads 85 has it on his regular lights and snow plow lights and my buddy put it on his 86 Dodge he had.

Excellent upgrade.

.... The headlights have always been dismal. So bad that most folks don't notice that I have the brights on...…….lol

I know you were talking about your Dodge. But the headlights on Ford pickups always seemed to be pretty bright when the trucks were (relatively) new. I don't know if they'd be considered bright by today's standards, but back in the '80s if I was being blinded by oncoming headlights it was either someone with their high beams on or else it was a Ford pickup. And I know the low beams on my '85 F-250 did draw a few high beam flashes from oncoming traffic who thought I must be using high beams. So I certainly see why Ford at least didn't think it was necessary to spend any more on headlight wiring back then.

.... The headlights have always been dismal. So bad that most folks don't notice that I have the brights on...…….lol

I know you were talking about your Dodge. But the headlights on Ford pickups always seemed to be pretty bright when the trucks were (relatively) new. I don't know if they'd be considered bright by today's standards, but back in the '80s if I was being blinded by oncoming headlights it was either someone with their high beams on or else it was a Ford pickup. And I know the low beams on my '85 F-250 did draw a few high beam flashes from oncoming traffic who thought I must be using high beams. So I certainly see why Ford at least didn't think it was necessary to spend any more on headlight wiring back then.

- deleted -