Bullnose Forums

Hi/Lo Beam Relay Wiring Question

fords4life

Pretty sure there a couple of you on here who are smarter with electricity than I am. I going to be doing the headlight relays as I put everything back together, but I'd also like to wire in the Lo beams to stay on with the Hi beams. I think I have the relays setup correctly, but please provide feedback if it doesn't look correct.

Hi_Lo_Relays.png.c1f7fcfef75d8e26155d5dcf82193558.png

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’ll have to sit down and draw it up, but you should only need two relays. One brings both low beams on with the light switch, and the other brings both high beams on from the dimmer.

Will be later before I can do that though

This isn’t pretty, but I think it will work. When the headlight switch comes on the low beam relay comes in. When the headlight switch is on and the high beam has power on the dimmer has power the high beam relay comes in.

841E2584-9ED1-4970-83D8-83126F038D4B.thumb.jpeg.a4c457e4b17f85165b636cbd0f832d72.jpeg

This isn’t pretty, but I think it will work. When the headlight switch comes on the low beam relay comes in. When the headlight switch is on and the high beam has power on the dimmer has power the high beam relay comes in.

Gary - Edit. I think I got it. You're pulling power from the headlight switch like I did, but it constant powers the low beams, when you hit the switch on the floor boards, the highs are going to come on, but it doesn't affect the lows. Duh. Sorry, I misread it the first time. This is why I post my crazy ideas. I always try to figure out the hardest way to do it. lol

Thank you.

Gary - Edit. I think I got it. You're pulling power from the headlight switch like I did, but it constant powers the low beams, when you hit the switch on the floor boards, the highs are going to come on, but it doesn't affect the lows. Duh. Sorry, I misread it the first time. This is why I post my crazy ideas. I always try to figure out the hardest way to do it. lol

Thank you.

:nabble_smiley_good:

Thank you.

Careful you don't vaporize the filaments.

50+60=110W of heat needs dissipated.

That's a lot more than either alone, in one small glass ampoule.

I used to do it with my old Datsun, but that had four lamps, so it was no different than having either one on.

- deleted -

Yep, Jim is right. The wiring and switch were marginal when new, and are now far from new. So installing a relay harness is strongly encouraged. And not only does it take the load off the wiring and switch, it delivers higher voltage to the headlights so they are brighter.

And to answer your question, it is something you should do. But you can buy a headlight harness from LMC, Jeff’s Bronco Graveyard, etc so you don’t have to make one.

Yep, Jim is right. The wiring and switch were marginal when new, and are now far from new. So installing a relay harness is strongly encouraged. And not only does it take the load off the wiring and switch, it delivers higher voltage to the headlights so they are brighter.

And to answer your question, it is something you should do. But you can buy a headlight harness from LMC, Jeff’s Bronco Graveyard, etc so you don’t have to make one.

Another vote for doing this. My truck was already wired with the relays when I got it and there is a noticeable difference in the light output between it and the 80. Also the pulsing at idle is a non-issue.