Bullnose Forums

CB Antenna -Aftermarket Archer

kramttocs

Just wanted to show some photos of an alternative to the hard to find factory tri band antenna (for a photo of that see Shaun's post in the eBay section from Oct).

Picked this up on eBay last week and installed it today. It's an Archer combo antenna that Radio Shack sold. I don't know how common they are.

It is specified for cars but the pictures looked close enough to give it a try.

It includes the base and gasket like on our trucks but they aren't slanted so you have to rotate a ring to get it lined up right.

It lined up perfectly after a few attempts and I don't think it looks too far from factory. While we would know it's not, I doubt anyone else would.

Haven't decided if I'll keep it on there or not but just wanted to add some photos in case anyone in the future thinks about installing one.

#21-990

IMG_20191220_230206.thumb.jpg.7d80a1a043c2b52047cf7eebb3b1cf68.jpg

IMG_20191220_230222.thumb.jpg.f21c6fab8fb48538103bf262867a26c2.jpg

IMG_20191220_211510.thumb.jpg.4849c680c15769da85187bd159af46b5.jpgIMG_20191220_124012.jpg.2b30f4ccb6788ed5f8d2b43fece4dc51.jpg

Used to buy plenty of 'stuff' branded by Ratshack.

Optimus, Archer, Microtona and of course Realistic.

-Who wants to listen to something that's impersonating real sound?-

Or is not a real radio in the first place???? :nabble_anim_confused:

So I suppose there's a balun under the cowl?

My geek side had me making my own antennae back in the day.

Used to buy plenty of 'stuff' branded by Ratshack.

Optimus, Archer, Microtona and of course Realistic.

-Who wants to listen to something that's impersonating real sound?-

Or is not a real radio in the first place???? :nabble_anim_confused:

So I suppose there's a balun under the cowl?

You make a good point :nabble_smiley_happy:

As for the balun - if I understand what a balun is, then I don't believe so. Just the splitter inside the cab.

I figure the antenna is like most combination items - good at them all but great at none.

Just the guy I have questions for then...once I figure out how to ask them and what I am wanting to accomplish.

You make a good point :nabble_smiley_happy:

As for the balun - if I understand what a balun is, then I don't believe so. Just the splitter inside the cab.

I figure the antenna is like most combination items - good at them all but great at none.

Just the guy I have questions for then...once I figure out how to ask them and what I am wanting to accomplish.

Scott - Would it be ok to add your pics and part #'s to the page at Documentation/Accessories/CB Radio? Or a link to this thread?

It lined up perfectly after a few attempts and I don't think it looks too far from factory. While we would know it's not, I doubt anyone else would.

No one would ever know the difference except a very small group of Bullnose enthusiasts.

A very GROWING group of discerning Bullnose Enthusiasts...

I still think y'all FOG members should have your own subforum.

Maybe we can label it "Hipsters" or something?