Bullnose Forums

81 F100 Kingpin information needed

FuzzFace2

As said I need information for my 81 F100 kingpins.

I need to know how they go back together like the order of shims, bearings, seals go.

When I pulled the old ones apart there was no way to see how it went and did not know of the seals till I got the new kingpin kit.

None of my books show this.

An exploded picture would be great as I like pictures.

Thanks ahead of time for the help.

Dave ----

Will the information on a 1986 F350 help? Assembly is probably the same, just a lot bigger.

Gary, I thank you for posting that up. I just don't see where the seal should go.

If I knew what they call some of the parts it might help.

Gary if you have something better to post when you get back I can wait.

Will the information on a 1986 F350 help? Assembly is probably the same, just a lot bigger.

I guess it would not hurt to post it up. If nothing else if someone id looking for 350 kingpin info it will be here.

Thanks

Dave ----

Gary, I thank you for posting that up. I just don't see where the seal should go.

If I knew what they call some of the parts it might help.

Gary if you have something better to post when you get back I can wait.

I guess it would not hurt to post it up. If nothing else if someone id looking for 350 kingpin info it will be here.

Thanks

Dave ----

Dave - It'll be Thursday or Friday before I can get to it, but I have the 1981 factory manual and it should have several pages on the king pin.

http://bullnose-enthusiasts.12971.n8.nabble.com/file/n5576/1986_king_pins.jpg

1986 F350 2WD king pins.

http://bullnose-enthusiasts.12971.n8.nabble.com/file/n5576/1986_king_pin_instructions.jpg

Service procedure from AllData.

THANKS!

That is a great help.

It tells me what way the seal gets installed and the picture shows the names of the parts. Other site had numbers and then had to go look them up someplace else.

Only thing not clear is where the shims go. It says to measure it at the top then install that amount but at top or bottom?

I say bottom because another site (48-56 trucks) said the shims go above the bearing that is on the bottom.

I hope when I take apart what is on the truck now I can see where the shims go.

Thanks again

Dave ----

http://bullnose-enthusiasts.12971.n8.nabble.com/file/n5576/1986_king_pins.jpg

1986 F350 2WD king pins.

http://bullnose-enthusiasts.12971.n8.nabble.com/file/n5576/1986_king_pin_instructions.jpg

Service procedure from AllData.

THANKS!

That is a great help.

It tells me what way the seal gets installed and the picture shows the names of the parts. Other site had numbers and then had to go look them up someplace else.

Only thing not clear is where the shims go. It says to measure it at the top then install that amount but at top or bottom?

I say bottom because another site (48-56 trucks) said the shims go above the bearing that is on the bottom.

I hope when I take apart what is on the truck now I can see where the shims go.

Thanks again

Dave ----

Dave, shims, if used, go on the top. The 48-56 models I believe had the bushings in the axle and the pin swiveled with the spindle. The two styles were called "Elliot" and "Reverse Elliot" and I don't remember which was which. The bearing is what actually carries the weight, the shims take up the slack. If you read it carefully it says to measure the clearance between the top of the axle and spindle which tells me that is where the shims would be used. FWIW, those pins are 7/8" OD and mine are still the original ones, if they are lubricated properly they will damn near last forever.

Merry Christmas!

Dave, shims, if used, go on the top. The 48-56 models I believe had the bushings in the axle and the pin swiveled with the spindle. The two styles were called "Elliot" and "Reverse Elliot" and I don't remember which was which. The bearing is what actually carries the weight, the shims take up the slack. If you read it carefully it says to measure the clearance between the top of the axle and spindle which tells me that is where the shims would be used. FWIW, those pins are 7/8" OD and mine are still the original ones, if they are lubricated properly they will damn near last forever.

Merry Christmas!

OK measure and install at the top it is.

Why I said just above the bearing as someone pointed me to the 48-56 truck as a "might work" way.

I put this on a sticky and put it in the truck for when I get the parts back from the machine shop.

Thanks

Dave ----