Bullnose Forums

Lets Talk Radiators...

emunder

Thanks, Jim.

When you write "On the 351, check for combustion byproducts in the coolant" do you mean take out the overflow pipe and check the radiator reservoir bottle for bubbling, in case there is a leaking gasket?

As for the 302...

"Does the 302 have a good tight fitting shroud on that aluminum radiator?"

I believe so. I tested the airflow through the radiator with a shop towel and it stuck to the outside of the grille, which suggests the fan is working as it should, drawing in sufficient air with all blades are intact.

"Does it have the stock clutch fan?"

I believe it does, haven't checked the fan for any engineering marks/labels, but I will do so and revert.

The IR thermometer is a good idea. I had a 1987 4Runner that would get very warm climbing through the mountains. Especially with the A/C on.

Checked everything and it ended up being the radiator. Ran right on temp. after that.

Edit: Added an aftermarket gauge also, did that on my bull too.

There really aren't many choices left, in a 'stockish' radiator.

If you want an all welded aluminum race type I can clue you in

20 years ago I would have said Modine.

But now it's just a bunch of Visteon brands if I recall

Jim, worst part on Modine, I have one I took out of Darth, nice Modine, lifetime warranty. Two slight problems, the owner of the shop it came from had the poor taste to have a massive coronary just after his 65th birthday and die from it and Modine went out of business. I now have an SPI one.

Thanks, Jim.

When you write "On the 351, check for combustion byproducts in the coolant" do you mean take out the overflow pipe and check the radiator reservoir bottle for bubbling, in case there is a leaking gasket?

As for the 302...

"Does the 302 have a good tight fitting shroud on that aluminum radiator?"

I believe so. I tested the airflow through the radiator with a shop towel and it stuck to the outside of the grille, which suggests the fan is working as it should, drawing in sufficient air with all blades are intact.

"Does it have the stock clutch fan?"

I believe it does, haven't checked the fan for any engineering marks/labels, but I will do so and revert.

There is a reagent (test chemical) that will change colour of a small sample of coolant showing hydrocarbon in solution.

It only takes an ounce or two and a drop of solution.

I was asking if the 302 had a shroud at all, really.

When you said "aftermarket aluminum radiator" it could be a custom Griffin race job, or any darn thing..

I don't see what you do, so I'm trying to establish some kind of baseline.

I've seen all kinds of crazy stuff, like cars overheating mid-winter where the coolant looked great.

The owner doesn't bother to tell me the car had froze solid, and the impeller sheared off the pump when they tried to get to work the day before...

I tend to ask big stupid questions, trying to get a better picture.

Jim, worst part on Modine, I have one I took out of Darth, nice Modine, lifetime warranty. Two slight problems, the owner of the shop it came from had the poor taste to have a massive coronary just after his 65th birthday and die from it and Modine went out of business. I now have an SPI one.

Bill, I thought Modine got rolled into Visteon?

But that's a question for Matt.