Bullnose Forum

Lets Talk Radiators...

emunder

My 86 Bronco came factory with a 4 row radiator and I did have some minor heating problems with it while towing on long grades. When I rebuilt the engine, I went to a local wreking yard and measured the radiator from an F250 and found it would fit in the same space as the original one. I bought the fan shroud from the 250 and then went to the local NAPA and bought the 4 core for an F250. It was a bolt in swap using the fan shroud from the F250. The radiator from the F250 was 3 inches taller and 4 inches wider making it 23% larger and the shroud was bigger also. This cured the heating problem while towing. Just a thought if you are looking for a larger cooling capacity. Keep in mind that the shroud is as important as the radiator as it makes the fan more efficient in pulling air through the whole radiator instead of just pulling it through the center where the fan sits.

• 8 months later...

My 86 Bronco came factory with a 4 row radiator and I did have some minor heating problems with it while towing on long grades. When I rebuilt the engine, I went to a local wreking yard and measured the radiator from an F250 and found it would fit in the same space as the original one. I bought the fan shroud from the 250 and then went to the local NAPA and bought the 4 core for an F250. It was a bolt in swap using the fan shroud from the F250. The radiator from the F250 was 3 inches taller and 4 inches wider making it 23% larger and the shroud was bigger also. This cured the heating problem while towing. Just a thought if you are looking for a larger cooling capacity. Keep in mind that the shroud is as important as the radiator as it makes the fan more efficient in pulling air through the whole radiator instead of just pulling it through the center where the fan sits.

Any recommendations for a good radiator brand?

Any recommendations for a good radiator brand?

There really aren't many choices left, in a 'stockish' radiator.

If you want an all welded aluminum race type I can clue you in

20 years ago I would have said Modine.

But now it's just a bunch of Visteon brands if I recall