Bullnose Forums

Ignition lock cylinder busted?

swampedout

I have 'Standard Automotive Products' cylinders.

The rack you can get from Dorman, maybe even in the HELP section.

Yup I have a new (cheap) lock cylinder and I can get the actuator about anywhere.

My main concern is Ill need that gear but I wont know until I open up and expose the carnage.

I might be checking the junkyards this weekend for steering columns

Otherwise online

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/Mustang/Steering/Steering-Column-Parts/Original-Steering-Column-Lock-Gear-7-5-1973-1978-Mustang.axd

Same part number as what I see elsewhere but 50 bucks less. Discontinued by ford.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup I have a new (cheap) lock cylinder and I can get the actuator about anywhere.

My main concern is Ill need that gear but I wont know until I open up and expose the carnage.

I might be checking the junkyards this weekend for steering columns

Otherwise online

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/Mustang/Steering/Steering-Column-Parts/Original-Steering-Column-Lock-Gear-7-5-1973-1978-Mustang.axd

Same part number as what I see elsewhere but 50 bucks less. Discontinued by ford.

Your "cheap cylinder" didn't come with the gear already installed?

Your "cheap cylinder" didn't come with the gear already installed?

https://m.autozone.com/interior/ignition-lock-cylinder/locksmart-ignition-lock-cylinder-lc14060/12457_0_0?location=

Its just that rectangular pin at the end. Guess Ill return it and find the one you have

Edit

Just found "standard motor products" lock cylinder on rock auto. Loks the same as mine. No gear pictured, unless I misunderstand where the gear is

https://m.autozone.com/interior/ignition-lock-cylinder/locksmart-ignition-lock-cylinder-lc14060/12457_0_0?location=

Its just that rectangular pin at the end. Guess Ill return it and find the one you have

Edit

Just found "standard motor products" lock cylinder on rock auto. Loks the same as mine. No gear pictured, unless I misunderstand where the gear is

Sounds like the pin at the end of the lock cylinder just snapped. So to replace you'll just have to remove the cylinder, dig out the broken pin that will be inside the gear and replace.

Worst case would be like Jim said and the actuator teeth sheared off. This will be a more involved process but before worrying about that, remove the cylinder and see.

Return the actuator rod to the acc position (all the way up) and then install the new cylinder.

If something is binding though, I'd see about replacing the ignition switch also. Otherwise you'll be in the same boat with the new cylinder.

Sounds like the pin at the end of the lock cylinder just snapped. So to replace you'll just have to remove the cylinder, dig out the broken pin that will be inside the gear and replace.

Worst case would be like Jim said and the actuator teeth sheared off. This will be a more involved process but before worrying about that, remove the cylinder and see.

Return the actuator rod to the acc position (all the way up) and then install the new cylinder.

If something is binding though, I'd see about replacing the ignition switch also. Otherwise you'll be in the same boat with the new cylinder.

I hope its just the pin. That would be quite a relief.

That is a relief! :nabble_head-slap-23_orig:

He had asked 'why would it spin if it isn't just the cylinder?"

So the actuator is the correct answer to the question...

Glad it is an easy fix.

And now you know how to hotwire your truck. :nabble_smiley_whistling:

That is a relief! :nabble_head-slap-23_orig:

Glad it is an easy fix.

And now you know how to hotwire your truck. :nabble_smiley_whistling:

Great! Glad it was an easy one.

Who are you talking to?

Great! Glad it was an easy one.

Who are you talking to?

I was agreeing with "Worst case would be like Jim said and the actuator teeth sheared off. This will be a more involved process but before worrying about that, remove the cylinder and see."

That it was wise to open it up and see, before assuming the worst.

But... He had asked what it could be IF it was not just the cylinder.