Bullnose Forums

Ignition lock cylinder busted?

swampedout

I was agreeing with "Worst case would be like Jim said and the actuator teeth sheared off. This will be a more involved process but before worrying about that, remove the cylinder and see."

That it was wise to open it up and see, before assuming the worst.

But... He had asked what it could be IF it was not just the cylinder.

Ah gotcha. I was afraid my reference to your comment may have come across in a different way than I meant it and wanted to correct my wording if so. :nabble_smiley_good:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was agreeing with "Worst case would be like Jim said and the actuator teeth sheared off. This will be a more involved process but before worrying about that, remove the cylinder and see."

That it was wise to open it up and see, before assuming the worst.

But... He had asked what it could be IF it was not just the cylinder.

Yes Im relieved it wasnt the gear.

But now Ive take the wheel off and I have a question. When the key is turned one position up from Lock, this is Accesory? Counterclockwise from lock.

Ive got it loosened up and cleaned out but it still feels like im spinning it too hard or far to get it to start.

Yes Im relieved it wasnt the gear.

But now Ive take the wheel off and I have a question. When the key is turned one position up from Lock, this is Accesory? Counterclockwise from lock.

Ive got it loosened up and cleaned out but it still feels like im spinning it too hard or far to get it to start.

Yes, this is in acc:

IMG_20191220_164640.thumb.jpg.10d0853856d371a20eac513a4e654ff5.jpg

Yes, this is in acc:

Thanks for those pictures. 2000 words right there!

I think Im going to wire up a push button for the starter. I see a little too much play in the actuator rod. Even with a lot of grease its still feels like it turns past where it should make contact

See that screw missing by the ignition cylinder?

20191220_144432.jpg.4a402b2418862188dd6b1b3cfe112b5a.jpg

20191220_144440.jpg.22acc2a8abf364f9d8dfedef8d821408.jpg

And those two screws with the tops sheared off?

I think Im going to wire up a push button for the starter. I see a little too much play in the actuator rod. Even with a lot of grease its still feels like it turns past where it should make contact

That's the cylinder retainer and the horn ring contacts.

Look on the back of your steering wheel and you'll see where the spring loaded contacts rub, so you can turn the wheel and still honk.

And for the retaining block screw I don't know how likely but I guess worst case without it would be the upper actuator pushing it up and it getting jammed, locking up the wheel. Again, not likely but I'd put a screw in it.

And for the retaining block screw I don't know how likely but I guess worst case without it would be the upper actuator pushing it up and it getting jammed, locking up the wheel. Again, not likely but I'd put a screw in it.

Isn't there a spring loaded pin under a set screw?

My '87 differs in many ways from Bullnose interiors, so I don't really know the answer.

Isn't there a spring loaded pin under a set screw?

My '87 differs in many ways from Bullnose interiors, so I don't really know the answer.

For autos to release the cylinder there is an open hole you push an awl or pick in. The retaining block just keeps the actuator in and aligned while supporting it for the wheel lock. It may also serve as an upper stop so you aren't yanking on the ignition switch itself. Not positive on that.

Not sure about a MT though - it may match what you're describing.