Bullnose Forums

Wiper Switch Question

To All new Problem on my 1983 F100 I added delay style wipers to my F100 all was well to the other day now they only wipe one time & about 3 times on High then quit more than like to govenor I know but my question is when I did this conversion I did not want to pay up for NOS switch, so I purchased " Standard " motor part switch. now switch feels funny & is loose in back where plastic connector is attached to metal housing [ not the harness connection ] so I want to put NOS genuine Ford Switch in Question is Orig switch part # E0TZ-17553- B [ motorcraft SW1572 ] which was SS To E7TZ-17A553-A [ Motorcraft SW1573-A ]

now I can get Both NOS but........... SW1572 much cheaper than SW1572A now anybody know what change was made ? just use SW1572 ? or pony up for SW1572A ? Thanks in Advance

The information shown below is on this page: Documentation/Electrical/Windshield Wipers and on the Part Numbers tab. Note that only E0TZ 17A553-B is for intermittent wipers.

Yes Gary I understand so are you saying the later part # ford says replaces early part # will not work ? ford says latest # is E7TZ-17A553-A I would like to know what the change was ?

Yes Gary I understand so are you saying the later part # ford says replaces early part # will not work ? ford says latest # is E7TZ-17A553-A I would like to know what the change was ?

Oh, I misunderstood. The catalog shows that E7TZ 17A553-A is for 1987 and later trucks, as shown below. And I have no way of knowing what the differences are. Maybe someone else does.

87/ F—U150/350 — w/intermittent wipers E7TZ 17A553-A *SW-1572-A-#E7TB 17A553-CA

Oh, I misunderstood. The catalog shows that E7TZ 17A553-A is for 1987 and later trucks, as shown below. And I have no way of knowing what the differences are. Maybe someone else does.

87/ F—U150/350 — w/intermittent wipers E7TZ 17A553-A *SW-1572-A-#E7TB 17A553-CA

Later models should work as well up into the 90's. The part numbers are different but the are essentially the same. I think the only difference I have found is the size of the contacts but that may be aftermarket vs OEM. I posted some pictures comparing them, may be on here or FTE ill have to look.

Later models should work as well up into the 90's. The part numbers are different but the are essentially the same. I think the only difference I have found is the size of the contacts but that may be aftermarket vs OEM. I posted some pictures comparing them, may be on here or FTE ill have to look.

As I think about it, Steve83 posted something about this question as well. Perhaps a search for it?

As I think about it, Steve83 posted something about this question as well. Perhaps a search for it?

Found the pictures. The top switch is brand new NGK switch for our years of truck. The bottom with the sliver "*" is a JY pull from a later model truck. The contacts are all the same, in the same position but appear to be slightly more to the middle. I figured worse case scenario I solder the two together if the JY switch is bad.

wiper_swtich.png.47c5bc319ccee10446f56ea539f8f42b.png

wiperset.thumb.jpg.83c3e85df935d32c6d619ef9e8566680.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Found the pictures. The top switch is brand new NGK switch for our years of truck. The bottom with the sliver "*" is a JY pull from a later model truck. The contacts are all the same, in the same position but appear to be slightly more to the middle. I figured worse case scenario I solder the two together if the JY switch is bad.

I ended up using NOS SW1572 switch wipers work properly the gov box was fine so if your wipers acted like mine you could luck out and it be just switch.

I ended up using NOS SW1572 switch wipers work properly the gov box was fine so if your wipers acted like mine you could luck out and it be just switch.

Thanks for the feed back as it may helps others.

On the delay wipers, I got the box & switch off Ebay used and the first time or 2 using the delay it would only delay at that setting from off.

So if you wanted a lot of delay and it was off you turned it to a lot of delay and was fine.

Now if you want a little less delay and turned it to less they would not work?

I had to go to off then to the less delay. Same would happen if I went little to more delay?

They other day I needed delay and was able to adjust the time of delay with out going to off?

I am thinking the switch must have been sitting for a bit and got something on the rheostat and with me adjusting it cleaned it off?

I have also found this with the radio that I also got off Ebay, the more I used the vol. the better it gets.

Dave ----

Thanks for the feed back as it may helps others.

On the delay wipers, I got the box & switch off Ebay used and the first time or 2 using the delay it would only delay at that setting from off.

So if you wanted a lot of delay and it was off you turned it to a lot of delay and was fine.

Now if you want a little less delay and turned it to less they would not work?

I had to go to off then to the less delay. Same would happen if I went little to more delay?

They other day I needed delay and was able to adjust the time of delay with out going to off?

I am thinking the switch must have been sitting for a bit and got something on the rheostat and with me adjusting it cleaned it off?

I have also found this with the radio that I also got off Ebay, the more I used the vol. the better it gets.

Dave ----

I had the same thing happen last week. Had to go to off then back on two or three times and didn’t do it again.