Bullnose Forums

3-D printer Fog light bezel has been made and shipped!

reamer

Let's see if this helps on the layout and sizing of the holes. And you can see my gentle chalk outline of the outside edge of my 1st bezel attempt.

• Top Hole: .277" diameter; .480" from the top of the opening; .993" from the bead to the left

• Bottom Hole: .272" diameter; .329" from bottom of the opening; 1.148" from the bead

• Slot: .495" wide; 1.504" long, .443" from the bead; .435" from bottom of opening

Did some test-fitting of a couple of switches I have, and here are some observations:

• These switches have 12mm shanks, which are ~.46", and they are a good fit in the dash.

• One switch has a handle that is 1 1/4" from the pivot point to the end of the handle, and it only stuck through the instrument bezel by ~.7". So, by the time the fog lamp bezel is installed it would only stick through 1/2", and that's not enough to look good, although you might be able to use it.

• It looks to me that the fog lamp bezel needs to go ~5/16" to the left from where mine is if we want the slots in the bezels to center over the handle. So, maybe my bezel isn't a factory one? I really though it is, but.....

• Also, I measured how much clearance there is between the studs we have on the back of fog lamp bezel and the dash: ~.06". We got lucky. :nabble_smiley_beam:

DSCN0580.thumb.jpg.c318ce0232d39f899432a7f9f543588a.jpg

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did some test-fitting of a couple of switches I have, and here are some observations:

• These switches have 12mm shanks, which are ~.46", and they are a good fit in the dash.

• One switch has a handle that is 1 1/4" from the pivot point to the end of the handle, and it only stuck through the instrument bezel by ~.7". So, by the time the fog lamp bezel is installed it would only stick through 1/2", and that's not enough to look good, although you might be able to use it.

• It looks to me that the fog lamp bezel needs to go ~5/16" to the left from where mine is if we want the slots in the bezels to center over the handle. So, maybe my bezel isn't a factory one? I really though it is, but.....

• Also, I measured how much clearance there is between the studs we have on the back of fog lamp bezel and the dash: ~.06". We got lucky. :nabble_smiley_beam:

I think using Reamer's measurements you are good.

If you move the whole bezel to the left the silver beads (borders?) are going to be crowded.

Bad kerning without letters....

Maybe you are better off to compromise and move the slot a little, and the studs a little?????

I think using Reamer's measurements you are good.

If you move the whole bezel to the left the silver beads (borders?) are going to be crowded.

Bad kerning without letters....

Maybe you are better off to compromise and move the slot a little, and the studs a little?????

Jim - I'm lost on what you mean about Ron's measurements. :nabble_anim_confused:

But, I do understand what you are saying about the beads/borders being close. Hmmmm.....

Jim - I'm lost on what you mean about Ron's measurements. :nabble_anim_confused:

But, I do understand what you are saying about the beads/borders being close. Hmmmm.....

Gary, I am going to have to measure at least the position of the slot in the XLS fog light bezel to see how it compares to yours. I can't measure the post holes for obvious reasons but I am curious if mine has the slot in the same spot. It would also be good to fit it to a dash shell and see how it aligns or doesn't align...

Gary, I am going to have to measure at least the position of the slot in the XLS fog light bezel to see how it compares to yours. I can't measure the post holes for obvious reasons but I am curious if mine has the slot in the same spot. It would also be good to fit it to a dash shell and see how it aligns or doesn't align...

Jonathan - Do you need me to measure the slot from the back of mine? There might be some places that are easy to measure from that would help. Or, actually, you measure yours and tell me how/where you measured and I'll duplicate it.

I mean HIS is definitely OEM.

And his numbers fit with yours.

So, it's not likely that your bezel is "aftermarket" or in any way 'wrong'

I mean HIS is definitely OEM.

And his numbers fit with yours.

So, it's not likely that your bezel is "aftermarket" or in any way 'wrong'

Ahhh! I don't think Ron has an instrument bezel that has the holes for a fog light bezel. But, he does have a NOS fog light bezel.

On the other hand, Jonathan has a factory instrument bezel with a factory fog light bezel attached. However, that fog light bezel doesn't want to come off, so he will have to measure it in situ. But, if he measures the distance between the headlight/wiper bead and the fog lamp bezel we will know pretty quickly if it is the same as mine.

Me? I just have an instrument bezel that I think was drilled/cut at the factory, and a 3D-printed fog light bezel.

Confused? :nabble_anim_crazy:

Ahhh! I don't think Ron has an instrument bezel that has the holes for a fog light bezel. But, he does have a NOS fog light bezel.

On the other hand, Jonathan has a factory instrument bezel with a factory fog light bezel attached. However, that fog light bezel doesn't want to come off, so he will have to measure it in situ. But, if he measures the distance between the headlight/wiper bead and the fog lamp bezel we will know pretty quickly if it is the same as mine.

Me? I just have an instrument bezel that I think was drilled/cut at the factory, and a 3D-printed fog light bezel.

Confused? :nabble_anim_crazy:

I guess I am confusing the instrument bezel with the fog lamp overlay bezel.

Sorry :nabble_smiley_blush: