Bullnose Forums

3-D printer Fog light bezel has been made and shipped!

reamer

Gary, you should have a new member request from a guy named Alfie. He has some very interesting information about fog lights with manual transmissions 😳

I think we are starting to be "crippled by the details"..... and Way over-thinking this...

This was an OEM Ford "add on" that's why it "sits" on the dash bezel.

Why not save on the headaches and "let it look stock?":nabble_anim_crazy::nabble_anim_crazy::nabble_smiley_uh::nabble_smiley_uh::nabble_anim_confused::nabble_anim_confused:

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we are starting to be "crippled by the details"..... and Way over-thinking this...

This was an OEM Ford "add on" that's why it "sits" on the dash bezel.

Why not save on the headaches and "let it look stock?":nabble_anim_crazy::nabble_anim_crazy::nabble_smiley_uh::nabble_smiley_uh::nabble_anim_confused::nabble_anim_confused:

Me? Overthink? That's the first time I've been accused of that today. :nabble_smiley_blush:

Ron - I don't think we are seriously considering a re-design. Just exploring what might have been.

As for keeping it stock, that's a novel idea! Let's see - why did you improve your tailgate protector? :nabble_anim_blbl:

Right back at'cha. :nabble_smiley_whistling:

Me? Overthink? That's the first time I've been accused of that today. :nabble_smiley_blush:

Ron - I don't think we are seriously considering a re-design. Just exploring what might have been.

As for keeping it stock, that's a novel idea! Let's see - why did you improve your tailgate protector? :nabble_anim_blbl:

"first time today"? Its only Morning........:nabble_anim_blbl:

Improve the tailgate?.... IT was not ever made from Ford... nothing to say "that's different":nabble_anim_confused:

"first time today"? Its only Morning........:nabble_anim_blbl:

Improve the tailgate?.... IT was not ever made from Ford... nothing to say "that's different":nabble_anim_confused:

Okay guys, sorry I'm late to the show. I own a 1983 Bronco with the factory fog lights and I'm capable of taking more measurements as necessary but it sounds like you've got it all pretty well covered at this point.

Here is the bit of info you should know and watch out for: the fog light switch will conflict with the starter interrupt on manual trucks with the starter interrupt switch mounted to the clutch linkage near the cruise interrupt switch. Here is a picture of the switch on the bracket. It's the long white plastic arm.

lxViS54pTnaR2pqhAxOL7g.jpg.1c65e01f1002dddd6e32842c778bd013.jpg

My truck is an '83 and didn't have the switch, well it was an auto, but had it been a manual it still wouldn't have had the switch. Here is the circuit from the E&VTSM

ffodAfSQTy1rbR4BPAUfg.jpg.2764876eb3ae04fa8ffe9c2a397a48b4.jpg

Can't figure out why that picture is rotated. It isn't on my computer. You can still see that an auto transmission truck will have an interrupt but a manual won't.

The pedals I'm using for my ZF5 swap are from a 1986 that did have the circuit. When I installed the pedals there was no reasonable way to leave the switch and not have it hitting the fog light switch. I removed it for now until I can find a better way to install it. It may never get reinstalled.

I was able to maintain the cruise control interrupt switch without an issue.

Over-thunk, twice-baked and re-fried...

...but maybe Ford didn't do quite enough thinking...

...not only did they not line the bezel up with the switch in the dash, but evidently if you go to put this in a manual truck you better get ready to ditch the starter interrupt on the clutch pedal because the plastic rod tangles with the back of the switch and there isn't room for both...

Okay guys, sorry I'm late to the show. I own a 1983 Bronco with the factory fog lights and I'm capable of taking more measurements as necessary but it sounds like you've got it all pretty well covered at this point.

Here is the bit of info you should know and watch out for: the fog light switch will conflict with the starter interrupt on manual trucks with the starter interrupt switch mounted to the clutch linkage near the cruise interrupt switch. Here is a picture of the switch on the bracket. It's the long white plastic arm.

My truck is an '83 and didn't have the switch, well it was an auto, but had it been a manual it still wouldn't have had the switch. Here is the circuit from the E&VTSM

Can't figure out why that picture is rotated. It isn't on my computer. You can still see that an auto transmission truck will have an interrupt but a manual won't.

The pedals I'm using for my ZF5 swap are from a 1986 that did have the circuit. When I installed the pedals there was no reasonable way to leave the switch and not have it hitting the fog light switch. I removed it for now until I can find a better way to install it. It may never get reinstalled.

Better late than never! At least you are here. :nabble_smiley_happy:

Would the interrupt switch, which my '85 didn't come with, hit a smaller switch, like a toggle, in that hole?

Welcome to the forum Alfie and thanks for sharing! I have the same problem with vertical pics. If I save them with a photo edit program it seems to fix the orientation. I'm not sure why Nabble does not recognize the orientation as it was taken by my phone or camera but it doesn't. If I'm shooting soecifically to illustrate on this forum I try to remember to shoot landscape if possible...

Welcome to the forum Alfie and thanks for sharing! I have the same problem with vertical pics. If I save them with a photo edit program it seems to fix the orientation. I'm not sure why Nabble does not recognize the orientation as it was taken by my phone or camera but it doesn't. If I'm shooting soecifically to illustrate on this forum I try to remember to shoot landscape if possible...

It isn't just Nabble. I used to have the same problem with FTE. Just opening and then saving a pic with a photo editor seems to fix it.

Would the interrupt switch, which my '85 didn't come with, hit a smaller switch, like a toggle, in that hole?

I don’t think it will. The fog light switch is kind of large. I believe the relay for the lights is contained in the switch since the harness is fairly small from the switch to the lights. A smaller switch would work if you could allow the square chrome toggle to attach to it.

Honestly I would want a relay for lights under the hood anyway I think.

I didn’t grab a picture of the conflict when I had it in place because it was too darn tight in there.

Has anyone found a source for the switch that’s close to the original?

I don’t think it will. The fog light switch is kind of large. I believe the relay for the lights is contained in the switch since the harness is fairly small from the switch to the lights. A smaller switch would work if you could allow the square chrome toggle to attach to it.

Honestly I would want a relay for lights under the hood anyway I think.

I didn’t grab a picture of the conflict when I had it in place because it was too darn tight in there.

Has anyone found a source for the switch that’s close to the original?

I think Ron found a switch that will work. And, it is smaller so should miss the clutch switch/linkage.