Bullnose Forums

3-D printer Fog light bezel has been made and shipped!

reamer

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for the "when in use there won't be a nos example sitting next to it to compare fonts" statement, you do realize what is exposed if you are checking the bezel out don't you? :nabble_smiley_evil:

As for the painting, you would certainly do a better job than I would. However, the question becomes do we/you want to bother with this one? It could be used if someone wanted to drill holes to accommodate it. But it doesn't have the recess for the rubber in the rear. However, how badly does it need the rubber?

But you confused me on the "make it thinner/round the corners" vs period correct. Which way are you leaning?

I agree that thinner would make it look less like the add-on it was/is. And making it the same height up/down would help. So would making the corner radius the same as the other bead. Any or all can be done, but I agree moving the studs is a must.

So, what do you say, guys?

If someone is standing on the ground and bent over with their head under the steering wheel looking at the fog lamp bezel then they will have their rear exposed, wearing a proverbial "Kick Me" sign. :nabble_anim_blbl:

As for the painting, you would certainly do a better job than I would. However, the question becomes do we/you want to bother with this one? It could be used if someone wanted to drill holes to accommodate it. But it doesn't have the recess for the rubber in the rear. However, how badly does it need the rubber?

But you confused me on the "make it thinner/round the corners" vs period correct. Which way are you leaning?

I agree that thinner would make it look less like the add-on it was/is. And making it the same height up/down would help. So would making the corner radius the same as the other bead. Any or all can be done, but I agree moving the studs is a must.

So, what do you say, guys?

Gary that's funny. I had a one track mind on the dash, not the viewer 😂

With the changes/modifications, I guess I was suggesting that there be two versions. One "authentic" close-to-original-as-possible, and one "improved" the-way-Ford-should-have-made-it version.

As far as whether to paint/finish the one you have, that is up to you. I don't mind doing it, but if you want to refine it more my offer stands any time you are ready. I do think it would look slightly better with a little more space between "fog" and "lamps" but it may be slightly less correct, and that is just my aesthetic opinion.

I think the rubber flap is needed just so there is not a big open slot all the way through the dash. It would not be hard to make one out of a square of inner tube or similar piece of rubber. However I don't know that it has to be sandwiched between the instrument bezel and the fog lamp bezel especially if we are going for a thin version to match the wiper switch panel. I would think that you could glue it to the back of the instrument bezel. For the thicker bezel it would be more correct if there was a recess on the back side for it,but I don't know how hard that would be to add to the shape file.

Gary that's funny. I had a one track mind on the dash, not the viewer 😂

With the changes/modifications, I guess I was suggesting that there be two versions. One "authentic" close-to-original-as-possible, and one "improved" the-way-Ford-should-have-made-it version.

As far as whether to paint/finish the one you have, that is up to you. I don't mind doing it, but if you want to refine it more my offer stands any time you are ready. I do think it would look slightly better with a little more space between "fog" and "lamps" but it may be slightly less correct, and that is just my aesthetic opinion.

I think the rubber flap is needed just so there is not a big open slot all the way through the dash. It would not be hard to make one out of a square of inner tube or similar piece of rubber. However I don't know that it has to be sandwiched between the instrument bezel and the fog lamp bezel especially if we are going for a thin version to match the wiper switch panel. I would think that you could glue it to the back of the instrument bezel. For the thicker bezel it would be more correct if there was a recess on the back side for it,but I don't know how hard that would be to add to the shape file.

Oh, two versions. How 'bout:

• V1 - Authentic: Basically it would be what I have with the recess. And, by the way, I already have the recess created. It would have the studs where the factory put them, and would be as close to NOS as we can make. In spite of the the fact that NOS doesn't line up with the switch hole.

• V2 - Improved: The studs would be moved, and other options would include that the corners are rounded, the thickness pared, and space added between G and L. (Hmmm, I think a "K" goes there. GKL, Gary Kenneth Lewis. :nabble_smiley_evil:) We just need to decide the details.

Oh, two versions. How 'bout:

• V1 - Authentic: Basically it would be what I have with the recess. And, by the way, I already have the recess created. It would have the studs where the factory put them, and would be as close to NOS as we can make. In spite of the the fact that NOS doesn't line up with the switch hole.

• V2 - Improved: The studs would be moved, and other options would include that the corners are rounded, the thickness pared, and space added between G and L. (Hmmm, I think a "K" goes there. GKL, Gary Kenneth Lewis. :nabble_smiley_evil:) We just need to decide the details.

That sounds like an excellent plan Gary.:nabble_smiley_good:

I hate to pile on the wish list, but I am still hoping that I can talk you into making me a special one with the word "overdrive" in place of "fog lamps". If it is a simple substitution...

...this really isn't the place to discuss it but I have a lot more need to aesthetically integrate an overdrive switch than to add fog lights...

That sounds like an excellent plan Gary.:nabble_smiley_good:

I hate to pile on the wish list, but I am still hoping that I can talk you into making me a special one with the word "overdrive" in place of "fog lamps". If it is a simple substitution...

...this really isn't the place to discuss it but I have a lot more need to aesthetically integrate an overdrive switch than to add fog lights...

Don't worry, doing an Overdrive bezel will be easy. I've learned that I don't need to actually add the lettering, bead, or studs to the base bezel. It all gets printed the same way anyway. And, that means that it is easy to change the lettering.

So, when I re-draw the bezel using whatever dimensions, corner radii, etc that we agree on then I'll leave the letters as a separate part. That way we can change them to whatever we want. And, since we will have the printing sorted, the first pass should be a good one.

And, by the way, look at the length of the phrases: :nabble_smiley_cool:

FOG LAMPS

OVERDRIVE

Don't worry, doing an Overdrive bezel will be easy. I've learned that I don't need to actually add the lettering, bead, or studs to the base bezel. It all gets printed the same way anyway. And, that means that it is easy to change the lettering.

So, when I re-draw the bezel using whatever dimensions, corner radii, etc that we agree on then I'll leave the letters as a separate part. That way we can change them to whatever we want. And, since we will have the printing sorted, the first pass should be a good one.

And, by the way, look at the length of the phrases: :nabble_smiley_cool:

FOG LAMPS

OVERDRIVE

Most excellent Gary! 😎

I can't wait! This is a very exciting opportunity and a huge bonus over trying to mold replicas! 🙌👍

Most excellent Gary! 😎

I can't wait! This is a very exciting opportunity and a huge bonus over trying to mold replicas! 🙌👍

Chris McGaugh sent me a pic of his factory fog light bezel. Looks like his might be even slightly "worse" than mine, but he said he will try to get a better measurement with calipers...

IMG_6704.thumb.jpg.5678ce89c41727a169ec111843da86ab.jpg

The spacing is slightly off, but my 30+ years in the printing industry is "tainting" my opinion

Just like Janey saw the r right away....

The leg on the bottom of the 'L' looks too long.

This will/is throwing off the space between G & L.

Definition is much better in acrylic.

Gary, since you have it in hand, what do you think of the result?

I've got no dog in this fight because none of these will fit my bricknose dash anyhow but if it were me I would want the height and corner radii to match the dash regardless of what it was from the factory.

Concours originality would not be a reproduction in any case.

Just like Janey saw the r right away....

The leg on the bottom of the 'L' looks too long.

This will/is throwing off the space between G & L.

Definition is much better in acrylic.

Gary, since you have it in hand, what do you think of the result?

I've got no dog in this fight because none of these will fit my bricknose dash anyhow but if it were me I would want the height and corner radii to match the dash regardless of what it was from the factory.

Concours originality would not be a reproduction in any case.

Jonathan - Chris' is much worse. Apparently the studs on the original fog lamp bezel are smaller than ours and his was moved to the right in the hole before the studs were melted. Yipes!

Jim - While I agree that in a blown-up pic where the letters can be studied closely that the "L" has a longer foot on ours than the NOS one. And, the space between the "G" and the "L" is less, and, and, and.

But, to answer your question, when you look at it with nothing else with which to compare it looks great. I'm happy with the letters and think we did a good job with matching the font, sizing the letters, etc.

And, thanks for your comment about it matching the rest of the dash. I agree. Now, if we could just get a few folks to measure the bead on theirs so we could ensure this next one will be the right height..... :nabble_smiley_wink: