Bullnose Forums

3-D printer Fog light bezel has been made and shipped!

reamer

Gary, I measured the distance between the bezel beads on my XLS bezel and I am at 0.325 inches just like you said. It is hard to see with the rubber in between, but the slot in the switch bezel looks to be perfectly centered over the slot in the instrument bezel. When installed on the dash shell, I have exactly the same alignment problem. The blade of the toggle is way to the left side of the slot. The fitment of the switch in the dash shell is snug. This is very odd... 🤔🤷‍♂️

Jonathan - It is very strange. I really don't understand.

In your last pic did you not have your instrument bezel down in the notches? It looks lined up, but I'm guessing that's because the instrument bezel isn't "registered". Right?

And your switch is an original switch? Right?

So, who has one of these things in an original condition, meaning mounted and functional?

Do we have to move the face of the fog lamp bezel left with respect to the studs, and cut the slot in the instrument bezel further left? Or slot the hole in the dash for the switch? :nabble_anim_crazy:

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jonathan - It is very strange. I really don't understand.

In your last pic did you not have your instrument bezel down in the notches? It looks lined up, but I'm guessing that's because the instrument bezel isn't "registered". Right?

And your switch is an original switch? Right?

So, who has one of these things in an original condition, meaning mounted and functional?

Do we have to move the face of the fog lamp bezel left with respect to the studs, and cut the slot in the instrument bezel further left? Or slot the hole in the dash for the switch? :nabble_anim_crazy:

Gary, that is indeed the nos fog light switch that is intended to be there. Look closely at the 3rd pic again. The XLS bezel is properly registered with its tabs inserted. But the blade of the toggle is way left in the slot and is pushing up the rubber flap. It does not line up.

I will see if I can get any info from guys who have fog light trucks on the FB groups. Christopher Lott, Chris McGaugh and Alfie Bockemuhl come to mind.

One thought... did the dash shell/superstructure change? The red one I mocked up today is from a 1986. Big Blue is 1985. Fog lights were discontinued in 1984?

Gary, that is indeed the nos fog light switch that is intended to be there. Look closely at the 3rd pic again. The XLS bezel is properly registered with its tabs inserted. But the blade of the toggle is way left in the slot and is pushing up the rubber flap. It does not line up.

I will see if I can get any info from guys who have fog light trucks on the FB groups. Christopher Lott, Chris McGaugh and Alfie Bockemuhl come to mind.

One thought... did the dash shell/superstructure change? The red one I mocked up today is from a 1986. Big Blue is 1985. Fog lights were discontinued in 1984?

Jonathan - I see how the lever is to the left, but it isn't as much "left" as I expected. In my mockup the lever was against the side of the slot, although my lever was thicker than yours.

But, looking at the switch itself I see that the pivot is actually a ball instead of a pin. So your lever may actually be angled to the right as it could both pivot left/right as well as up/down on that ball. In any event, it isn't right and may well cause problems, both with the switch as well as premature wear on the rubber flap.

As for the dash itself, the one I'm using for mockups is from an '82. :nabble_anim_confused:

And, get the FB guys to sign up here to discuss it.

Jonathan - I see how the lever is to the left, but it isn't as much "left" as I expected. In my mockup the lever was against the side of the slot, although my lever was thicker than yours.

But, looking at the switch itself I see that the pivot is actually a ball instead of a pin. So your lever may actually be angled to the right as it could both pivot left/right as well as up/down on that ball. In any event, it isn't right and may well cause problems, both with the switch as well as premature wear on the rubber flap.

As for the dash itself, the one I'm using for mockups is from an '82. :nabble_anim_confused:

Gary the toggle blade does not pivot on the ball, but I don't have a threaded nut for the front. I was just holding it from the back with one hand and the phone in the other to take the pic. It is entirely possible if not likely that I did not have the switch perfectly positioned when I took the picture. The blade might sit further left when fastened down.

For adding fog lights I guess you have a choice to either shift the switch bezel left to line up with the switch mount hole, or place the switch bezel at 0.325" from the headlight/wiper frame bead and fudge the mounting hole in the dash. In my case I pretty much only have the second choice available.

My Dash is an '84 Bronco, But I had the "option" of putting the Fog bezel where I wanted (centered)....

But IF all the Factory bezels are in fact "off center" at least it is consistent, and then, yes Gary, you could move the studs to compensate and have the lever "down the middle"

Dash_with_NOS.thumb.jpg.8f48729cc5ccf233593f3c81a7b9ea23.jpg

My Dash is an '84 Bronco, But I had the "option" of putting the Fog bezel where I wanted (centered)....

But IF all the Factory bezels are in fact "off center" at least it is consistent, and then, yes Gary, you could move the studs to compensate and have the lever "down the middle"

I'm not ready to change the bezel, but it wouldn't be hard. Perhaps we need two versions? However, let's hear from those that have factory installations or have created them to see if we are missing something.

I'm not ready to change the bezel, but it wouldn't be hard. Perhaps we need two versions? However, let's hear from those that have factory installations or have created them to see if we are missing something.

If folks are buying the fog lamp bezel to put one where there wasn't one before, then it seems like the position of the studs is irrelevant. You can use them to mount it wherever you like. I think that would be the most "normal" use. But I agree with Gary, we need to find out what is going on with the original ones and why they don't line up. There has to be a reason.

If folks are buying the fog lamp bezel to put one where there wasn't one before, then it seems like the position of the studs is irrelevant. You can use them to mount it wherever you like. I think that would be the most "normal" use. But I agree with Gary, we need to find out what is going on with the original ones and why they don't line up. There has to be a reason.

And make sure they show us the switch - just to ensure there isn't a dog-leg in the arm.

In fact, as suggested, invite them here.

And make sure they show us the switch - just to ensure there isn't a dog-leg in the arm.

In fact, as suggested, invite them here.

Chris McGaugh is already a member, and I messaged him asking for input. I got in touch with Alfie and he said he will check his truck when he gets home and will sign in here to participate in the discussion. I am not personally connected with Christopher Lott on FB, but I posted in his freewheel group and linked this thread. If he does not post here I will relay anything that I find out.

Chris McGaugh is already a member, and I messaged him asking for input. I got in touch with Alfie and he said he will check his truck when he gets home and will sign in here to participate in the discussion. I am not personally connected with Christopher Lott on FB, but I posted in his freewheel group and linked this thread. If he does not post here I will relay anything that I find out.

A member of the freewheel group posted pics of his bezel. Factory fog lights, switch has never been removed. Toggle blade is way left in the slot mashing and deforming the rubber just like on my bezel. We may be looking at an engineering error plain and simple:

IMG_6672.thumb.jpg.4d6eb4f6986df19635a8dbff6f140893.jpg

IMG_6673.thumb.jpg.85814a9341f14ea960651474ed72259e.jpg