Bullnose Forums

3-D printer Fog light bezel has been made and shipped!

reamer

Funny that it shows the intermittent wiper governor mounted. The ones I see usually have foam glued all the way around them and are just tucked up on top of the wire harness behind the headlight switch, not really mounted to anything.

The reason the governors are mounted in foam rubber is because in a manual truck the shock of releasing the parking brake causes the heatsink inside to crack the solder joint.

Says right on the case "Do Not Drop"

And that expensive (over $100) little component is toast unless you know how to fix it.

There is a service bulletin outlining this procedure.

Mine has been wrapped in foam and zip-tied up behind the fuse panel for this reason.

Haven't had to replace it since I did that.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The reason the governors are mounted in foam rubber is because in a manual truck the shock of releasing the parking brake causes the heatsink inside to crack the solder joint.

Says right on the case "Do Not Drop"

And that expensive (over $100) little component is toast unless you know how to fix it.

There is a service bulletin outlining this procedure.

Mine has been wrapped in foam and zip-tied up behind the fuse panel for this reason.

Haven't had to replace it since I did that.

That would be a good bulletin to have.

That would be a good bulletin to have.

I don't have it on my phone and I don't have a pc any more.

I know I've posted the number (and probably the text) on FTE before.

If you care to search my user name and 'wiper speed control' or 'governor module' -or some combination- I'm sure it will pop up.

I don't have it on my phone and I don't have a pc any more.

I know I've posted the number (and probably the text) on FTE before.

If you care to search my user name and 'wiper speed control' or 'governor module' -or some combination- I'm sure it will pop up.

Well, I didn't find the bulletin or TSB, but I found something better: How To Fix Your Wiper Governor. Well done, Jim!

But, would you mind if I used your pics and created a page on our website? We already have a page on Windshield Wipers, but there's nothing on it. So I could explain how the delay is a plug & play upgrade, but what the hazard is and how to fix it. And, I'll give you credit.

Well, I didn't find the bulletin or TSB, but I found something better: How To Fix Your Wiper Governor. Well done, Jim!

But, would you mind if I used your pics and created a page on our website? We already have a page on Windshield Wipers, but there's nothing on it. So I could explain how the delay is a plug & play upgrade, but what the hazard is and how to fix it. And, I'll give you credit.

You can use anything you like.

I don't need attribution.

Though I'm sure you can get better pictures than what I have.

Jim - I took your word for the attribution, took more pics, and wrote up the missing how-to-upgrade as well as how-to-repair verbiage. Please see what you think: Electrical/Windshield Wipers and the Upgrade and Fix tabs.

That's all good, but I will say that my pic's show a '90 (F0xx) part number that works just fine.

Also, I think a wrap of foam rubber will better help isolate the module and keep it from vibrating against anything solid up in the dash.

On my truck the mount/stay actually bolts *to* the parking brake assembly.

So, you can really understand why it takes a hit every time the truck is driven.

That's all good, but I will say that my pic's show a '90 (F0xx) part number that works just fine.

Also, I think a wrap of foam rubber will better help isolate the module and keep it from vibrating against anything solid up in the dash.

On my truck the mount/stay actually bolts *to* the parking brake assembly.

So, you can really understand why it takes a hit every time the truck is driven.

I'll add the F0 number, and suggest the foam rubber. Thanks.

Jim - I added the verbiage, but see what you think - please.

In your first paragraph you say all you need is the module.

But no, you also need a delay switch with the ground wire and the ability to turn counterclockwise.

The two speed switch will not plug into the delay module (though it will plug directly into the dash harness)