Bullnose Forums

3-D printer Fog light bezel has been made and shipped!

reamer

Still working on the new commercially available switch I got. It will handle up to 50 amps.. I have not mocked up the switch/bezel onto the spare gray dash superstructure I have...

Ron - Do you have an instrument bezel with the holes in it for the fog light bezel? I ask because I do - a factory instrument bezel, and the hole in the dash for the switch does not line up with the slot in the instrument and fog lamp bezels - as shown below.

So, if you are using a factory instrument bezel with the holes already cut, I'm afraid the lever on your switch won't come through the holes. But, if you are going to cut those holes in a bezel, then you could put them where you need them.

Given that, we may need to determine which way people are going to be going, instrument bezel with factory holes or holes with altered positions, before we nail down the switch decision. Or, have two different switches.

Instrument_Bezel_on_Dash.thumb.jpg.65b4eb17b0e73343bd8a9901e8ee0152.jpg

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still working on the new commercially available switch I got. It will handle up to 50 amps.. I have not mocked up the switch/bezel onto the spare gray dash superstructure I have...

700W is a lot of light! (14V x 50A)

With LED's it would be like looking at the surface of the sun.

700W is a lot of light! (14V x 50A)

With LED's it would be like looking at the surface of the sun.

Gary

I do not have an instrument panel bezel with fog light holes.

But it "looks" like the switch may work.....

Got measurements?

I have a few bezels stashed away, could sacrifice one.....

Gary

I do not have an instrument panel bezel with fog light holes.

But it "looks" like the switch may work.....

Got measurements?

I have a few bezels stashed away, could sacrifice one.....

Jim - Amen!

Ron - I will get measurements later today when I get out to the shop. But, I'm pretty sure you won't want to put the holes where the factory did. Apparently the arm to the original switch is offset to one side, and since your's isn't the same holes probably won't work.

...the hole in the dash for the switch does not line up with the slot in the instrument and fog lamp bezels - as shown below.

Instrument_Bezel_on_Dash.jpg

Gary, given that the switch mounts through that hole in the dash shell and the blade of the toggle is exactly in the center...

How does the slot in the 3D printed bezel match up with the mounting hole in the dash shell? i.e., when you mount the fog lamp bezel with the studs onto the instrument bezel would the toggle blade be in the center of the 3D printed slot?

IMG_6402.jpg.f7c2b0d669090d4671eb6ad6c5b229ed.jpg

It seems odd to me that the slot in the instrument bezel does not match the mounting hole, but perhaps they did not want it too close to the edge of the fog lamp bezel?

...the hole in the dash for the switch does not line up with the slot in the instrument and fog lamp bezels - as shown below.

Instrument_Bezel_on_Dash.jpg

Gary, given that the switch mounts through that hole in the dash shell and the blade of the toggle is exactly in the center...

How does the slot in the 3D printed bezel match up with the mounting hole in the dash shell? i.e., when you mount the fog lamp bezel with the studs onto the instrument bezel would the toggle blade be in the center of the 3D printed slot?

It seems odd to me that the slot in the instrument bezel does not match the mounting hole, but perhaps they did not want it too close to the edge of the fog lamp bezel?

Jonathan - Good question! I obviously overlooked the pics you've posted about the switch. :nabble_smiley_blush:

Here's the fog lamp/instrument bezel alignment - basically perfect. So, I don't know what to say.....

Number_1_-_Mounted_Rear_View.thumb.jpg.274dc160a3ab05f78ae259ff3ba22eb4.jpg

Jonathan - Good question! I obviously overlooked the pics you've posted about the switch. :nabble_smiley_blush:

Here's the fog lamp/instrument bezel alignment - basically perfect. So, I don't know what to say.....

So it looks like the Fog Bezel and the Dash Bezel line up with the NOS bezel, so the 3-D bezel will act exactly the same.

BUT both aligned bezels do not line up with the dash superstructure..... interesting.

I'll have to dig out the spare dash superstructure soon and check this out...

Gary, I'm guessing the slot in the dash shell to the left of the hole is there to receive the "lip" side of the switch face to facilitate orientation and to prevent twisting... but I have not fitted it to see if this is in fact true. I am wondering if there is any play in the mounting hole to allow for alignment? I will have to check the thread diameter with the hole diameter. If there is no wiggle room it may be necessary to oval out the hole in the dash shell, but this is puzzling 🤔

Gary, I'm guessing the slot in the dash shell to the left of the hole is there to receive the "lip" side of the switch face to facilitate orientation and to prevent twisting... but I have not fitted it to see if this is in fact true. I am wondering if there is any play in the mounting hole to allow for alignment? I will have to check the thread diameter with the hole diameter. If there is no wiggle room it may be necessary to oval out the hole in the dash shell, but this is puzzling 🤔

Yes, guys, this is puzzling. And I hope to get measurments of the factory holes later today, once I get my Bible class and sermon for Sunday done.

But, I can say that with the 1/4" studs there is precious little movement. We (you) nailed the locations of the studs and the part fits very nicely. And, it appears to fit over the spot where the original fog lamp bezel set correctly, although that's hard to tell as the darker spot on the instrument bezel is probably from where the rubber piece touched it, and the rubber piece fits inside the recess on the rear of the fog lamp bezel, so is smaller.

So, don't go drill or cut your instrument bezels just yet! :nabble_anim_confused:

Yes, guys, this is puzzling. And I hope to get measurments of the factory holes later today, once I get my Bible class and sermon for Sunday done.

But, I can say that with the 1/4" studs there is precious little movement. We (you) nailed the locations of the studs and the part fits very nicely. And, it appears to fit over the spot where the original fog lamp bezel set correctly, although that's hard to tell as the darker spot on the instrument bezel is probably from where the rubber piece touched it, and the rubber piece fits inside the recess on the rear of the fog lamp bezel, so is smaller.

So, don't go drill or cut your instrument bezels just yet! :nabble_anim_confused:

Let's see if this helps on the layout and sizing of the holes. And you can see my gentle chalk outline of the outside edge of my 1st bezel attempt.

• Top Hole: .277" diameter; .480" from the top of the opening; .993" from the bead to the left

• Bottom Hole: .272" diameter; .329" from bottom of the opening; 1.148" from the bead

• Slot: .495" wide; 1.504" long, .443" from the bead; .435" from bottom of opening

Factory_Instrument_Bezel_Holes_For_Fog_Lamp_-_Dimensions.thumb.jpg.4a863317091054781e36776a1a433d73.jpg