Bullnose Forums

Norwegian F250, 1984, 460, 2wd

Papelione

Christian - Sorry, but I don't know what you mean by "Does that say in the second Picture from the top?" Please say that again, differently.

As for the axle, that should be a Dana 60 or Dana 70 rear axle and I'm not familiar with taking them apart. Hopefully someone else on here is and will comment.

But, I see that I do not have the instructions on the site for that rear axle or, for that matter, those rear brakes. Let me see what I can do about that later today.

The older D60 has left hand studs on that side and the axles need to come out to access the drums and brakes inside.

I *think* you need to pop the diff cover to release the clips.

Anthony, or someone else with a pre-'85 250 or bigger would know for certain.

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The older D60 has left hand studs on that side and the axles need to come out to access the drums and brakes inside.

I *think* you need to pop the diff cover to release the clips.

Anthony, or someone else with a pre-'85 250 or bigger would know for certain.

I have never seen C clips on that style axle, the axle is held in by the 8 bolts in the axle hub. Then you remove the drum from the spindle by removing the spindle nut and bearings the same way you would the if you were taking the front rotor of a two wheel drive. Also be sure to pack the bearings with wheel bearing grease when re-assembling. A Haynes repair manual for your truck will have step by step disassembly and reassembly instructions.

I have never seen C clips on that style axle, the axle is held in by the 8 bolts in the axle hub. Then you remove the drum from the spindle by removing the spindle nut and bearings the same way you would the if you were taking the front rotor of a two wheel drive. Also be sure to pack the bearings with wheel bearing grease when re-assembling. A Haynes repair manual for your truck will have step by step disassembly and reassembly instructions.

I think the factory shop manual section here will help: Documentation/Driveline/Brakes. And then go to the Rear Brakes tab followed by the Drum Brakes R&R tab. Then go to Page 8. Does that do it?

I think the factory shop manual section here will help: Documentation/Driveline/Brakes. And then go to the Rear Brakes tab followed by the Drum Brakes R&R tab. Then go to Page 8. Does that do it?

Thx guys.

It was the repacking of bearings I was wondering of, and if I should have a couple of new seals ready, before starting out?

Does it state which axle from this label?

Ford_label.jpg.63fd60159a68875e967d9c12320733d6.jpg

Been watching this video, on a 1979 250, rear Axel looks the same. Same procedure?

Looks like a big socket spanner is needed.

And this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRhkYQsAKI4

Best regards

Christian

Thx guys.

It was the repacking of bearings I was wondering of, and if I should have a couple of new seals ready, before starting out?

Does it state which axle from this label?

Been watching this video, on a 1979 250, rear Axel looks the same. Same procedure?

Looks like a big socket spanner is needed.

And this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRhkYQsAKI4

Best regards

Christian

Yes, it does show which axle you supposedly have. But when you use the decoder here (Documentation/Specifications/Axle Ratios) you are presented with a conundrum. The certification label says the axle is "72", but for an '84 truck that says it should have a Ford axle capable of carrying 2,200 lbs. Clearly that isn't right as your rear axle rating is shown as 5,864 lbs.

Can you post some pics of your rear axle? Especially the differential? And, does it have a tag on it?

253852.thumb.jpg.7cdc597ac3d6433d03e07be4a1872561.jpg

Norwegian_Bullnose.jpg.81108cfdcfea11844c4ee7a469eee3da.jpg

Yes, it does show which axle you supposedly have. But when you use the decoder here (Documentation/Specifications/Axle Ratios) you are presented with a conundrum. The certification label says the axle is "72", but for an '84 truck that says it should have a Ford axle capable of carrying 2,200 lbs. Clearly that isn't right as your rear axle rating is shown as 5,864 lbs.

Can you post some pics of your rear axle? Especially the differential? And, does it have a tag on it?

Hmm, I see that.

I only have this picture since it is in winter storage now.

Ford_Axle.jpg.b497b00940f6bb58f7a0d9deb0d68cd3.jpg

If you look at this chart, axle 72 is rated differently :nabble_anim_confused:

https://www.blueovaltrucks.com/tech-articles/axles/identify-your-ford-truck-axle-from-the-door-sticker/

I guess that, I will have to wait ordering parts until truck is present, and I can read the tag off the diff itself:=)

By the way, tailgate decor is home again looks nice, and got a new produced drivers side trim, and found the rear wheel arch trim "nos" on ebay. So the missing parts are here and ready to be put in place.

Also the guy who did the tailgate decor has promised to fix the scratch/ dent over the rear wheel arch in spring. Rear bumper has a big dent.

Coming projects are then:

-Fix sticky e-brake, and rear brakes at the same time.

-Change gear fluid, hopefully that will help on hard 3rd.

-fix switches for wipers and ignition.

-Fix choke, as it stays on a little long( cold weather problem)

-generel clean up, remove stickers etc

-change right headlight bezel/chrome cover.

-Mount bed cover, probably Truxedo truxport. (had a hard time finding old school look bedcover, but this might do the trick....)

-Save up for new wheels....

-Go camping and fishing in tough old truck:nabble_anim_jump:

Best from Blizzard Norway.

Christian

/Christian

Hmm, I see that.

https://www.blueovaltrucks.com/tech-articles/axles/identify-your-ford-truck-axle-from-the-door-sticker/

I guess that, I will have to wait ordering parts until truck is present, and I can read the tag off the diff itself:=)

By the way, tailgate decor is home again looks nice, and got a new produced drivers side trim, and found the rear wheel arch trim "nos" on ebay. So the missing parts are here and ready to be put in place.

Also the guy who did the tailgate decor has promised to fix the scratch/ dent over the rear wheel arch in spring. Rear bumper has a big dent.

-Mount bed cover, probably Truxedo truxport. (had a hard time finding old school look bedcover, but this might do the trick....)

Christian

/Christian

Yes you should always replace the seals any time the drums get removed. I also replace the brake return springs when ever I service drum brakes and highly recommend you do so as well. I would also consider getting new wheel cylinders even if they aren't leaking as it's easier to do so when you have it disassembled than having to disassemble it again to do it later on if one or the other starts leaking and contaminates your new shoes brake lining, which would require being replaced, again.

Hmm, I see that.

Christian

/Christian

There's no way I know of telling from that pic, but it is supposed to be either a Dana 60 or a Dana 70. So I've put up the whole section on Dana 60 & 70 rear axles from the shop manual. With that and the section on brakes you should be good.

Documentation/Driveline/Axles and then the Rear Axles tab plus the Instructions tab, and then finally the Dana 60 & 70 Axles tab.

There's no way I know of telling from that pic, but it is supposed to be either a Dana 60 or a Dana 70. So I've put up the whole section on Dana 60 & 70 rear axles from the shop manual. With that and the section on brakes you should be good.

Documentation/Driveline/Axles and then the Rear Axles tab plus the Instructions tab, and then finally the Dana 60 & 70 Axles tab.

Thank you

Also found brake shoe size thx to one of your older reply's 12*3 is the correct size.

Have a nice Saturday. Cant wait to get it home again....

/Christian