Bullnose Forums

Norwegian F250, 1984, 460, 2wd

Papelione

Believe what you choose to believe. 😒

I've heard, read about and even seen somebody get hit by a bus.

I was run over by a tractor trailer myself!

It doesn't keep me from crossing the street. 😆

Friday afternoon

Was out inspecting the tank just now, and a friendly Mann with a 2003 Ford Expedition stopped by out of nowhere, we had a nice chat:=) unexpected but nice.

Back to he tank trouble, lifted out the rear fuel pump, and rear tank was full with fuel, I caught the top flow with at 20 l bucket, fuel was same color as coke and had a lot of sludge in it......

Pump looked like it was part of a rust coral reef.

Im thinking that I will order a new tank and pumps.

But who do you think makes the best pumps for my truck, wouldn't mind spending a little extra as long as its good and reliable. Airtex does´nt impress me, but looks as it might be the only option?

Rusty_tank1.jpg.0d9c1ece02be19a647a1badbc928b3fc.jpg

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Friday afternoon

Was out inspecting the tank just now, and a friendly Mann with a 2003 Ford Expedition stopped by out of nowhere, we had a nice chat:=) unexpected but nice.

Back to he tank trouble, lifted out the rear fuel pump, and rear tank was full with fuel, I caught the top flow with at 20 l bucket, fuel was same color as coke and had a lot of sludge in it......

Pump looked like it was part of a rust coral reef.

Im thinking that I will order a new tank and pumps.

But who do you think makes the best pumps for my truck, wouldn't mind spending a little extra as long as its good and reliable. Airtex does´nt impress me, but looks as it might be the only option?

Christian - You need both the pump and the sending unit. You can get them together or separate if I remember correctly.

My go-to place is Rock Auto for things like this. See if this link doesn't take you to a 1984 F250 w/a 460's fuel and air section. That will show you several options.

To me the best is Motorcraft, but they are typically 3 times or more the cost of an Airtex or Spectra. I chose Spectra for Big Blue - and may have gotten two bad units in a row, although we aren't sure yet.

Christian - You need both the pump and the sending unit. You can get them together or separate if I remember correctly.

My go-to place is Rock Auto for things like this. See if this link doesn't take you to a 1984 F250 w/a 460's fuel and air section. That will show you several options.

To me the best is Motorcraft, but they are typically 3 times or more the cost of an Airtex or Spectra. I chose Spectra for Big Blue - and may have gotten two bad units in a row, although we aren't sure yet.

Hi

Yes I like Rockauto too but they state "out of stock" for my pumps.

Bronco graveyard have them listed, but I just called them and pumps are on backorder because of the pandemic.

Actually found and new old stock TSV, from an old ford parts warehouse. Its on the way.

Where to look for motorcraft pumps?

Hi

Yes I like Rockauto too but they state "out of stock" for my pumps.

Bronco graveyard have them listed, but I just called them and pumps are on backorder because of the pandemic.

Actually found and new old stock TSV, from an old ford parts warehouse. Its on the way.

Where to look for motorcraft pumps?

Been sitting hunting for a pump and a tank for some time now.

Got the last pump (Airtex they had 1 in stock) for the front tank from rockauto, and a new rear tank ass well.

will be here within a couple of weeks, then we will see:=)

Tried to read up on "hot fuel handling" and from what I read, some guys has gone through several pumps before realizing something was wrong with the TSV or had a too constrict fuel filter,

Making the pump fight against to much pressure and failed on behalf off that.

Is that a known problem? or did I get it wrong?

/Christian

Been sitting hunting for a pump and a tank for some time now.

Got the last pump (Airtex they had 1 in stock) for the front tank from rockauto, and a new rear tank ass well.

will be here within a couple of weeks, then we will see:=)

Tried to read up on "hot fuel handling" and from what I read, some guys has gone through several pumps before realizing something was wrong with the TSV or had a too constrict fuel filter,

/Christian

I hadn't heard/read about that. But I can see that it could happen.

Glad you are finding parts. They are getting hard to find. But some places sell a tank with the pump in it, so if you could find that it might save on shipping.

/Christian

The pump cools itself by flowing fuel through it.

I could see how deadheading the pump against blockage or severe restriction could easily cause it's untimely demise.

There is also a reason that versions of the HFH system use a resistor to decrease current to the pump.

And I imagine plenty of ignorant people remove or bypass this because "obviously something's wrong... it's not getting proper voltage"

Do not worry, Christian!

You have done all the troubleshooting....and more!

You have quite a good handle on this. :nabble_smiley_good:

/Christian

The pump cools itself by flowing fuel through it.

I could see how deadheading the pump against blockage or severe restriction could easily cause it's untimely demise.

There is also a reason that versions of the HFH system use a resistor to decrease current to the pump.

And I imagine plenty of ignorant people remove or bypass this because "obviously something's wrong... it's not getting proper voltage"

Do not worry, Christian!

You have done all the troubleshooting....and more!

You have quite a good handle on this. :nabble_smiley_good:

:=) that´s very motivating to read:nabble_smiley_good:

Wanted to test the old TSV properly today.

Put it in the vice, and sprayed again with silicon, (PTFE). Clips in terminal 4 and 5.

And started shifting Power and ground to the terminals. While looking in the pipes it seams there is a valve that moves up and down.

TSV_power.jpg.5196a774e598c2aa3d204a3fdbdc5aea.jpg

TSV_valve.jpg.8a7b7d680c40f8d4477b1b1f2c365c0c.jpg

Also tried with some compressed air (low compression) through the source and return pipes while shifting, and airflow shifts too...

Can´t feel any difference between rear and front pipes, airflow seams to be the same.

TSV_air.jpg.b80f74b5f9908ac6ad7c8fcb4b5251f2.jpg

I would say the TSV is now working as it should?

/C

:=) that´s very motivating to read:nabble_smiley_good:

Wanted to test the old TSV properly today.

Put it in the vice, and sprayed again with silicon, (PTFE). Clips in terminal 4 and 5.

And started shifting Power and ground to the terminals. While looking in the pipes it seams there is a valve that moves up and down.

Also tried with some compressed air (low compression) through the source and return pipes while shifting, and airflow shifts too...

Can´t feel any difference between rear and front pipes, airflow seams to be the same.

I would say the TSV is now working as it should?

/C

Since you say the air flow shifts when you swap ground & power, I'd say it is working correctly. :nabble_smiley_good:

Agreed!

Diagnostics complete.

I would say your tank selector valve is fully functional. :nabble_anim_handshake:

Preparing while waiting for parts, should be here next week.

Been installing new fuel hoses in the engine compartment, and removing the add-on fuel pump there.

Today I took down the rear fuel tank, which was a bit troublesome, but eventually I got it out.

The missus was not too pleased with the gasoline smell in the driveway, but the skies eventually cleared up:=)

But when I dismantling the filler pipe and hose from the tank, The pipe was full of rust. I don't see any way the cleaning this, except maybe taking of the pipe and submerge the filler pipe in Hydrochloric acid?

Stupid or would that clean it up?

Tank_filler_neck_1.jpg.136bc0c540d42ce0da7b678522806fb1.jpg

The alternative is to buy a new one off course, LMC has the parts need but they state that it´s for later 87-onwards model, but maybe it would fit?

Part "7" and maybe part "9"

See pictures below.

Part number 43-339

Looks pretty close to mine....

Tank_filler_neck2.jpg.1f2d7c54b8799003a6c3bbdc1b38d487.jpg

Skrmavbild_2020-09-10_kl.png.c0e6dc2d13c0f843ab82f407bfff4ea3.png